Modified CSU - post-mortem?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, March 03, 2010, 06:31:26 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I've been reading through Major Carrales' voluminous (and well-done) notes on National Board.

Unless I'm missing something, is there any sort of final verdict on the modified CSU - the one proposed by General Courter with standard grey CAP epaulettes and nameplate replacing the blue AF epaulettes, hard rank and blue "Civil Air Patrol" nameplate?

I hope it isn't gone, because I've worn it once and it looks good (a heck of a lot better than the grey/white).  I also think that it could be adopted as the distinctive CAP uniform many have expended keystrokes about.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

I saw nothing else about it beyond the changes indicated in the ICL, and the freeze on any more changes to the uniforms for two years.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I don't think there was any changes to what we were told to do before -- modify it by date X and phase out by day Y.

lordmonar

I got this two weeks ago

Quote16 February 2010 Corrected Copy

MEMORANDUM FOR ALL CAP UNIT COMMANDERS

SUBJECT: Interim Change to CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniforms

1. The National Executive Committee recently approved a proposal to phase out the Corporate Service uniform, including the Corporate service coat, white aviator shirt and AF blue slacks combination, black windbreaker, black overcoat and black police-style sweaters. A 1 January 2011 phase out date was originally established for these items. After careful consideration, it has been determined that the original phase out date does not provide members with sufficient time to wear items recently purchased. For this reason the phase out date for these uniform combinations has been extended to 1 January 2012.

2. To ensure that these combinations retain the CAP distinctiveness required by the Air Force, effective 1 September 2010 the metal grade insignia and the blue AF epaulet sleeve will be replaced with the standard CAP gray epaulet sleeve. The metal CAP cutout previously authorized on the epaulets of the black windbreaker and overcoat will be removed to allow for proper placement of the gray epaulet sleeve. The blue nameplate previously authorized on the white aviator shirt will be replaced with the standard gray CAP nameplate. Members may begin wearing the gray epaulet sleeve immediately but must make the change by 1 September 2010.

3. Also, Senior Member NCOs and Cadets over the age of 18 may continue to wear these uniform combinations until the 1 January 2012 phase out date.

4. Cadets over the age of 18 are now authorized to wear the white aviator shirt and gray slacks combination with the currently authorized blue cadet nametag and grade insignia.

5. If you have questions or require additional information you may contact Ms Susie Parker, National Headquarters/DP, at sparker@capnhq.gov.

AMY S. COURTER
Major General, CAP
National Commander

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
CIVIL AIR PATROL
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY
105 SOUTH HANSELL STREET
MAXWELL AIR FORCE BASE, ALABAMA 36112-6332
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

I changed mine day one, why not?

Doesn't really look that much different, and most people won't even notice.

I must say the black Navy/Army Jacket looks really sharp with the Aviator whites.  We should push for that, even sans grade insignia.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

Quote from: Eclipse on March 03, 2010, 09:30:29 PM

I must say the black Navy/Army Jacket looks really sharp with the Aviator whites.  We should push for that, even sans grade insignia.

I totally agree.  I along with a few other of my members changed ours at the last meeting.  It does look sharp, and should be pushed for.

I would even go as far as making it the new "Corporate" uniform and ditch the gray pants. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

First off - Major Harris, thank you.  I have that ICL from General Courter.  I was just curious as to whether any follow-up was done at NB.

Quote from: Spike on March 03, 2010, 09:56:34 PM
I would even go as far as making it the new "Corporate" uniform and ditch the gray pants.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

I wore my modified CSU for the first time last week.  I got several compliments on how good it looked, and I heard similar sentiments to yours.

Maybe the black jacket/trenchcoat and a dark-blue sweater with grey rank slides?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

ther switch over of name tags and epaulete sleeves was updated in the corrected icl issued later that same day to effective immediately
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on March 03, 2010, 11:55:49 PM
ther switch over of name tags and epaulete sleeves was updated in the corrected icl issued later that same day to effective immediately

Yes, effective immediately, but not required until September.

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/2010_02_16_CAP_uniforms_EA51A6906B737.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

PhotogPilot

I've still got a gray nametag, but I'll wait until the wing conference in April, no sense in paying 7 bucks shipping on $10.00 rank slides.

JoeTomasone

So now the only difference between the blues and the CSU is the color of the shirt?   Am I missing anything?

Hawk200

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 04, 2010, 07:41:21 AM
So now the only difference between the blues and the CSU is the color of the shirt?   Am I missing anything?
For the most part, no military stuff. But, no, you're not missing anything.

davedove

But if you take off the insignia, it just becomes a black jacket.  It seems to me you should already be able to wear it that way.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RiverAux

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 04, 2010, 07:41:21 AM
Pants, apparently....  >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: davedove on March 04, 2010, 12:29:45 PM

But if you take off the insignia, it just becomes a black jacket.  It seems to me you should already be able to wear it that way.

Mixing military uniform parts and distinctive items is expressly prohibited in 39-1.  You could make the same argument bout the blues waist jacket as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

Quote from: Eclipse on March 04, 2010, 02:35:12 PM
Quote from: davedove on March 04, 2010, 12:29:45 PM

Mixing military uniform parts and distinctive items is expressly prohibited in 39-1.  You could make the same argument bout the blues waist jacket as well.

Can you provide me that reg cite?  I can't seem to find it.

I would make the same argument about the blue windbreaker jacket.  Once you remove any insignia and such, it is no longer a "distinctive military item".  I base this on looking at some of the military regs and don't see anything like this in the CAP manual.  In military regs, once you strip off insignia, military style buttons, etc. it is no longer a military uniform.  Thus, if it is no longer a military item, it is by definition a civilian garment and can be worn with the grey/white uniform.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Quote from: davedove on March 04, 2010, 03:09:56 PM
Once you remove any insignia and such, it is no longer a "distinctive military item".  I base this on looking at some of the military regs and don't see anything like this in the CAP manual.  In military regs, once you strip off insignia, military style buttons, etc. it is no longer a military uniform.  Thus, if it is no longer a military item, it is by definition a civilian garment and can be worn with the grey/white uniform.

Consumer clothing does not have a mil-spec label in it, and basing the wear of CAP uniforms on either regs or custom of active services doesn't work, since we aren't in the military, and there are plenty of other regs and customs that don't apply to us.  You can't pick and choose on this.

CAPP 151, section 11:
b. You may wear only authorized uniform combinations; you may not mix uniform items or wear distinctive uniform items with civilian clothes. (Distinctive uniform items are those items that are unique to the uniform. They include grade insignia, ribbons, cap devices, and buttons with Civil Air Patrol coat of arms).

There are also inferences as such all over 39-1.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

^ Sounds to me they are talking about not wearing "CAP Distinctive Items" out in public.  That is vague at most, they should have written it as "you are not to wear any military uniform item with civilian clothes at anytime".

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on March 04, 2010, 03:33:26 PM
Quote from: davedove on March 04, 2010, 03:09:56 PM
Once you remove any insignia and such, it is no longer a "distinctive military item".  I base this on looking at some of the military regs and don't see anything like this in the CAP manual.  In military regs, once you strip off insignia, military style buttons, etc. it is no longer a military uniform.  Thus, if it is no longer a military item, it is by definition a civilian garment and can be worn with the grey/white uniform.

Consumer clothing does not have a mil-spec label in it, and basing the wear of CAP uniforms on either regs or custom of active services doesn't work, since we aren't in the military, and there are plenty of other regs and customs that don't apply to us.  You can't pick and choose on this.

CAPP 151, section 11:
b. You may wear only authorized uniform combinations; you may not mix uniform items or wear distinctive uniform items with civilian clothes. (Distinctive uniform items are those items that are unique to the uniform. They include grade insignia, ribbons, cap devices, and buttons with Civil Air Patrol coat of arms).

There are also inferences as such all over 39-1.

So are you agreeing with dave or disagreeing. Because that cite says once the distinctive buttons and insignia are gone, it's not a distinctive uniform item and is, therefore, civilian clothing.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

My read on this is that "distinctive" in this case is used in the "its part of the uniform" sense, not the way we normally use "distinctive" in the "USAF vs. corporate" sense.

Our corporate uniform is clearly civilian clothing in the uniform sense, and if NHQ wanted or intended for us to be able to wear parts of the
military uniforms with the corporates, they would explicitly authorize it, as they have in a few cases such as flight caps.

As CAP members, our only authorization for wear of military uniform parts, is in the context and prescription of 39-1 (+ICL's, etc), and in no other way or creative combination.  What a non-member might do is irrelevant.

"That Others May Zoom"