Main Menu

ACE and CAP training

Started by Orville_third, July 30, 2009, 02:02:28 AM

Orville_third

I'm looking forward to CAP making the Senior Officer's Course more accessible, not to mention more up-to-date. However, there was an advantage to the old course. There is an organization, the American Council on Education, that evaluates various military and civilian training courses for college credit. The USAFIADL version was evaluated for 5 units of credit. Other CAP courses are good for 1 unit of credit apiece.
I'm curious- if anyone here works for CAP, would they be able to get ACE to evaluate various CAP courses for college credit?
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing

Lt Oliv

The thing about ACE is that all they do is RECOMMEND credit.

When I got out of the Navy and took all of my transcripts to the local college, 3 credits transferred.  Out of a recommended 24, 3 were accepted.  Those 3 were granted as physical education credits for completing Basic.

DrJbdm

A lot of this depends on where you go to school, yes there are some schools that are very selective on what credits they will except, others are not and will accept all credits that ACE evaluates. Charter Oak State College and Thomas Edison State College are two of the schools that pop to mind, both are regionally accredited institutions and are highly regarded.

I'm not sure if the AFIADL 13 course is still recommended for college credit or not, from my understanding there is a service life on the evaluation. You would need to check with ACE to determine that. Hopefully it is.

The problem with ACE recommending college credit for the new Senior Officer Course is that the new one is supposed to correctable to a 100% which means everyone passes, no one is able to fail. It's also an open book test and not proctored. All of this or any of this might be grounds to not approve a recommendation for credit and that is a shame. I hope someone might have better / more current information and can add to this. I am pretty familiar with college credit recommendations and with college accreditation but I do not pretend to have all the current information.. 

Spike

Every Squadron was sent an Air University Distance Learning Catalog about 3 years ago.  There is a section in the catalog about credit being accepted by universities.  Basically courses that count toward an Air force Associates degree are accepted by Most Colleges/ Universities.

Check with your Squadron Commander to see the Catalog.  It was mailed directly to the Squadron Mailing addresses.   

Short Field

LOL    ;D   DrJbdm has it right. 

Besides, just because they transfer in a number of credit hours, it does not mean they will satisfy your particular degree requirements.  There are only so many free elective hours in any degree program and some schools have a limit on the total number of hours you can transfer in.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Orville_third

All those posts are excellent and helpful to others.
I don't know if they have the AFIADL catalog (or whatever they call it) at my squadron- but it's available online.
Yes, AFIADL-13 is still valid for credit- I checked it out. (2 Upper Level Semester Hours in Military History, 1 Lower Level Semester Hour in Leadership and 2 Lower Level Semester Hours in Communications.)
And, while it will only be a free elective, I'll make sure to put it on my transcript. (I am going to TESC.)
Incidentally, DrJbdm, are you on the Degreeinfo message boards?
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
SC Wing

JC004

For those who want to search the recommendations for the AF (and other branches') courses:

http://www.militaryguides.acenet.edu/

MichaelAGates

Colleges will end the almost always accept military courses the American Council on Education has recommended for credit. That includes AFIADL courses. For my last bachelor degree I had over 100 hours on my transcript from AFIADL, and MCI courses that had been ACE recommended for credit. Not everything worked for my degree program, but it was placed on my college transcript. It was not an easy process to get all that on my transcript. Almost every time the college would write back and say several courses were not recommended for credit and I would have to write back and again send them links to the online pages that showed I was right or a copy of a page from the ACE books. In the end the college lost every time because I did my research and kept resubmitting. Lazy people and poorly trained people at the colleges will often get in your way and tell you, that credit is not available, or that you cannot have it put on your transcript because it does fit in a degree program. Sometimes the people going over your courses do not even have degrees themselves and may never have heard of ACE. There are usually no rules to back up what they are saying, so document your case and push for the credit and don't accept a "no", when you are right. Watch out and don't use AFIADL catalogs as a guide for college credit as they are usually way behind and in need of being updated when it comes to listing ACE recommendations. Use the ACE wesbite.

BillB

In my experiences, Florida Universities (state schools) will not give credit for military courses following ACE recommendations. However it seems all Community Colleges will give credit on a transcript even if not used for a degree. Many evaluators will only list courses applicable to a degree at the Community College unless you push to get everything transcripted.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

notaNCO forever

Quote from: BillB on August 06, 2009, 11:51:25 AM
In my experiences, Florida Universities (state schools) will not give credit for military courses following ACE recommendations. However it seems all Community Colleges will give credit on a transcript even if not used for a degree. Many evaluators will only list courses applicable to a degree at the Community College unless you push to get everything transcripted.

Thats basically how it is in my school I don't see why you would even bother trying to get credits for classes that don't apply to your degree. It doesn't really make much of a difference.

davidsinn

Quote from: notaNCO forever on August 06, 2009, 01:56:19 PM
Quote from: BillB on August 06, 2009, 11:51:25 AM

Thats basically how it is in my school I don't see why you would even bother trying to get credits for classes that don't apply to your degree. It doesn't really make much of a difference.

Because you might be able to use them for a later degree?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Airrace

It was my understanding that the credits would remain the same.

Orville_third

While my degree is pretty much general, I do want my CAP/AFIADL credit on there, even if it doesn't fit in a degree program. (I also want the nonmilitary ACE credit from the USDA Graduate School on there...and that will wind up aiding my hoped-for career as a Library Technician...)
If your college won't accept the ACE's credit, try and get the credit banked at Excelsior University, Thomas Edison State College or Charter Oak State College. Those are the "big three" distance learning colleges.
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
SC Wing