Main Menu

ACUT

Started by Daniel, June 11, 2009, 04:48:34 AM

ThorntonOL

For communications Daniel, there is two different sets of tests.
There is the test for your Specialty Track which does require you to have BCUT then ACUT, then there is the set of tests which are for the use of the radios which are in order BCUT, and ACUT.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Daniel

I'm not a senior, I dont have a speciality track. I'm talking the use tests.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

DBlair

Quote from: Daniel L on June 11, 2009, 06:40:48 PM
I'm not a senior, I dont have a speciality track. I'm talking the use tests.

As a Cadet, if you wanted to go for the Comm Badge later on, you would have to take those Senior Member specialty track tests.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

JoeTomasone

And let me throw this out there -- unless you know that you're going to be assigned a radio, there's pretty much zero need for you to get the ACUT over the BCUT.   Not to discourage you -- by all means, get the ACUT if you want -- but it will afford you pretty much zero benefit as a cadet over a BCUT.   YMMV, but probably doesn't. 

As a FLWG BCUT/ACUT instructor, I teach many more BCUTs than ACUTs simply because relatively few people require an ACUT to perform their duties.

davidsinn

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 11, 2009, 07:18:03 PM

And let me throw this out there -- unless you know that you're going to be assigned a radio, there's pretty much zero need for you to get the ACUT over the BCUT.   

That depends on the wing. Here in INWG everybody that has taken ACUT get's a tactical call sign whether they have a radio or not. It's motivating for a cadet to be assigned a Redfire call sign.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

That's not practical in a large wing like CA or FL. We'd quickly run out of call signs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BrandonKea

Quote from: SarDragon on June 12, 2009, 12:05:14 AM
That's not practical in a large wing like CA or FL. We'd quickly run out of call signs.

Do callsigns ever get recycled?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

JoeTomasone

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 12, 2009, 12:17:08 AM

In FL they do, when someone quits, etc.

SarDragon

Usually, unless retired. Since there are only 900 general call signs available (in our particular structure), giving one to everyone who passes ACUT would exhaust the supply far too soon.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on June 12, 2009, 01:03:09 AM

Usually, unless retired. Since there are only 900 general call signs available (in our particular structure), giving one to everyone who passes ACUT would exhaust the supply far too soon.

I take it your call signs are 3 digit? That's kind of odd since it's such a large wing. We have 4 digit call signs here allowing for 10,000 before we have to recycle. The only time you have to state all 4 numbers is if that call sign has 4 numbers. Mine's RF162. I'd say it as one, sixty-two. My unit's call sign is RF5227(Fifty-two, twenty-seven)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JoeTomasone

Quote from: davidsinn on June 12, 2009, 05:08:34 PM
Mine's RF162. I'd say it as one, sixty-two. My unit's call sign is RF5227(Fifty-two, twenty-seven)

Ahh, negative, Ghost Rider...   Only CAPFLIGHT callsigns may have their numerals grouped as per CAPR 100-3.   Your callsign is (whatever RF stands for) one-six-two and your unit's is (RF) five-two-two-seven.

(sections 1-8 and 2-3 if you're so inclined....)

- Joe

BrandonKea

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 12, 2009, 06:14:40 PM
Mine's RF162. I'd say it as one, sixty-two. My unit's call sign is RF5227(Fifty-two, twenty-seven)

Ahh, negative, Ghost Rider...   Only CAPFLIGHT callsigns may have their numerals grouped as per CAPR 100-3.   Your callsign is (whatever RF stands for) one-six-two and your unit's is (RF) five-two-two-seven.

- Joe

RF for Indiana is either Red Fox or Red Fire, I can't remember which...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 12, 2009, 11:34:41 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 12, 2009, 06:14:40 PM

- Joe

RF for Indiana is either Red Fox or Red Fire, I can't remember which...

Red Fire. The grouping is new to me. I took BCUT and ACUT with the wing DC and ASSUMED ;D that what I was thought was gospel. Live and learn I guess.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

CAP_truth

Illinois Wing uses RED FOX call signs
Cadet CoP
Wilson

caprr275

Michigan Wing is Red Robin

as an ACUT/BCUT instructor I would say read the 100-1, look at the powerpoints and if your unit does not have a comm officer use your chain of command to get in contact with the group comm officer.

the ACUT test is open book and any testing officer can give the test but only approved members can teach the ACUT/BCUT class

keep working you will be a cadet sgt in no time