Adding Professional Development requirements...

Started by Hawk200, March 11, 2008, 07:26:14 PM

Should we increase Professional Development requirements for the Levels?

Yes, more assignment time should be required.
No, what we have is fine.

Hawk200

Made a major "Whoops" on the last thread, this one covers some things better.

Currently, our levels don't require a Command or Staff assignment requirement until Level 3. Should we increase these requirements, and add one to Level 2?

By the time a member reaches Level three, they could have been in four or five years. Shouldn't a member with that kind of time have more experience in a command or staff position? A single year out of four or five isn't a great deal.

One effect is that members wouldn't be advancing with minimal requirements. Also, the requirement would ensure a little more participation to advance.

As far as higher levels go, should we include some additional requirements, such as coordination with (but not necessarily assignment to) higher levels of command?

jimmydeanno

I don't think if it would be appropriate to require a staff position or command position for level II.  Level II is supposed to be Technical Training and the member is essentially focused on earning a specialty track rating - kind of like going to tech school after basic training (level I). 

They should be supervised by someone in a staff or command position ( > Level II person). 

I think what may be more appropriate is to not allow carry over from other levels. For example:  If you complete 3 years of staff service before you complete level IV you can count that time towards the requirement for Level V when it comes time. 

When you think about it, you can earn "CAP's Highest Professional Development Award" in 3 years.  Of course if squadrons were larger there wouldn't be this problem because the program would work as it were intended to and people in Level I and II wouldn't be squadron commanders. :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davedove

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 11, 2008, 07:26:14 PM
Currently, our levels don't require a Command or Staff assignment requirement until Level 3. Should we increase these requirements, and add one to Level 2?

While it doesn't state that there is a time requirement for Level II, you are required to obtain a Technician rating.  Each Technician rating has a time requirement in the corresponding staff assignment, the shortest being 4 months, I believe.  So, you do have to have a staff assignment for Level II.

Now, I would say that the different specialty track requirements should be brought more in line with each other.  Right now, the shortest requirement is 4 months and the longest is a year; that's quite a difference.

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 11, 2008, 07:26:14 PM
As far as higher levels go, should we include some additional requirements, such as coordination with (but not necessarily assignment to) higher levels of command?

I think a good way to work this in would be to require it for the higher ratings.  ES Officer already does this, requiring a position at Wing or higher to get a Master rating.  This would mean it would be required for Level IV and thus a requirement for promotion to Lt Col.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

davedove

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 11, 2008, 07:34:20 PM
When you think about it, you can earn "CAP's Highest Professional Development Award" in 3 years. 

Not quite, in order to complete Level V you have to take NSC and you can't take that until you're a Major.  That means you have to have been in at least 6 years before you can take that course (with the exception of those who get advanced promotions and I'll grant you that's quite a few members.)

Now, if you can get the classes, you could easily get Level IV in two years.  I've managed Level III in about a year and a half.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

dwb

It's a tricky situation, because people participate in different ways during their time in CAP.

I was a squadron commander.  That's a cut-and-dry duty assignment period, easy to write down.  Since then, I've served in a variety of roles, including two encampments as commandant of cadets, some Group public affairs work, squadron leadership officer, and more recently, assistant Wing IG.

I have been participating in CAP; however, I haven't been in one long, continuous duty assignment since being a commander (although the IG thing will very likely be a continuous assignment)

So... should I have to pick one continuous duty assignment and stay in it for x years to earn my next professional development level?  Should I be able to use my time as commander a few years ago for a level now?  Should my more ad hoc service count?

There are a lot of situations like this, which is why I think the language is intentionally noncommittal.  If the signing commander(s) believe the person has brought value to the organization via their various duty assignments, then they should be allowed to achieve the next professional development level.

Cecil DP

Quote from: davedove on March 11, 2008, 07:41:58 PM

Not quite, in order to complete Level V you have to take NSC and you can't take that until you're a Major.  That means you have to have been in at least 6 years before you can take that course (with the exception of those who get advanced promotions and I'll grant you that's quite a few members.)

Actually, If you have the right military schools (IE Advanced NCO school, ACSC, you can complete the requirements much faster. I rejoined CAP after a break 1/83 and though I already had my COP, I redid all the training and had my Loening and Garber in July 84 and GRW in Feb 85. 25 months total.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Hawk200

I don't think if it would be appropriate to require a staff position or command position for level II.  Level II is supposed to be Technical Training and the member is essentially focused on earning a specialty track rating - kind of like going to tech school after basic training (level I). 

I can see the point to an extent, but it also seems like people learn by doing. Anyone actually gaining their technician rating would be most likely doing the job (probably as an assistant, but that should count.)

Quote from: dwb on March 11, 2008, 08:57:22 PM
So... should I have to pick one continuous duty assignment and stay in it for x years to earn my next professional development level? 

I certainly wouldn't require all those years of service in a single specialty track. It would be impractical, not to mention would limit the person unnecessarily. As far as I'm concerned, six months in admin, and then six months in ES would be perfectly fine as long as the person didn't get reassigned for being a royal screwup. As long as it adds up to a year of satisfactory service, it should count.

Quote from: dwb on March 11, 2008, 08:57:22 PMShould I be able to use my time as commander a few years ago for a level now?

Sure, why not? As above, as long as you didn't get relieved for running things into the ground, it's command service. Add together time in command, and time spent as staff for the requirement. Cumulative is fine, and still serves the needs of CAP.

Quote from: davedove on March 11, 2008, 07:37:38 PM
I think a good way to work this in would be to require it for the higher ratings.  ES Officer already does this, requiring a position at Wing or higher to get a Master rating.  This would mean it would be required for Level IV and thus a requirement for promotion to Lt Col.

Wasn't aware of this concerning ES officer. It explains why the only people I've ever seen with a master badge in ES were at wing. I don't think it's too much to require coordination with a higher level, but I don't think it's right to require a position at a higher level for it.

Seems like a lot of people probably move to other positions or specialty tracks to get the promotion. It would be understandable.

Short Field

I fail to see have anyone can progress in a specialty track without working in a related assignment.  How does a training officer justify signing a person off on a rating if the person shows up for two weeks of training, passes the tests, satisfies the job knowledge requirement - then does nothing while waiting for the time requirement to pass? 

The whole purpose of professional development is to grow people who can run all the squadron, group, and wing functions that are required to be a sucessful organization.  Professional development is not Emergency Services related (mission area - not speciality track).

A Master rating in ES requires THREE years in a ES position on Wing Staff - after getting your Senior rating.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SAR-EMT1

While I am fully aware we have access to AFIADL (and I take full use of it)
I wonder if there is any way we can gain access to the OCS programs of the various state NG HQs.

Thoughts?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ZigZag911

Actually an OJT or assistant staff officer position seems entirely appropriate as part of Level II training -- perhaps a 6 month placement?

JayT

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 06, 2008, 05:27:32 AM
I wonder if there is any way we can gain access to the OCS programs of the various state NG HQs.

Thoughts?

Bad idea.

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RogueLeader

Quote from: JThemann on April 12, 2008, 11:01:16 PM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 06, 2008, 05:27:32 AM

Thoughts?

Bad idea.

Why?  I think that any course to help make better officers would do the same.  While there may be some things that do not apply to us as CAP, I believe that there is more to be gained in our program than could be lost.  As it is with virtually all AFIADL courses, these would be volunteer as well.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SAR-EMT1

So does anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not it is do-able?
If it was possoible I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Even if I have to fork over some $$

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student