Main Menu

800-type Squadrons

Started by JohnKachenmeister, August 15, 2007, 01:45:39 PM

JohnKachenmeister

I figured somebody here will know...

In our Group, we have become aware of a school desiring an 800 squadron.  They initially desired an AFJROTC unit, and designed the school with an ROTC area, but the AF declined to place a JROTC unit there.  The school is a combined jr-sr high school, with over 1000 students.

The school wants to place a CAP unit in the ROTC area. 

My questions are:

1.  I know that the regs allow for a unit, in a middle-jr high school, up to age 14, when the cadets would be expected to join a "Regular" CAP unit.  Could a "Regular" CAP unit co-locate at the school, so the cadets would merely "Transition" to the HS-age unit?

2.  Can CAP officers who are NOT certified teachers command or serve in the unit?   

If anybody knows about these kind of units, see what you can do about making me smart.
Another former CAP officer

Tim Medeiros

1. Yes, a standard CAP unit can be located at a school, we do that here in Group 8 FLWG.  As well, members in an 800 unit can stay in up to and including 12th grade.

2.  Yes.

I would be glad to assist if you need any help.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Conical

Answers to your questions:

1.  As long as the school and your wing agree to the other cadet squadron, there isn't anything to prevent it.
2.  CAP officers who are not certified teachers may hold any position in the unit just as in any other unit

The 800 squadron curriculum is a very good one that would have benefits to other cadet or composite squadrons.  I think a co-located "traditional" cadet or composite squadron for the 800 cadets to transition to is a good idea.  In my opinion, a separate commander and other staff personnel would be a must in that case.

Conical

Skyray

I am cut off from the CAP database as a non-member, but you need to get in touch with Dave Mikelson.  Last time I heard he was in Boca or Palm Beach, but he was the wrangler of the middle school program in Florida and got tacsan kudos for performance of his baby.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

mikeylikey

In PAWG, the Wing Commander only allows Teachers to be members of 800 school squadrons.  They accept only middle school school students and the primary focus is Aerospace not Leadership.  It all depends on what your Wing King wants I suppose.  In fact, PAWG has said that it only wants schools in Philadelphia, while I and a group of very interested and demanding administrators in other areas were ready to charter a school sqd.  Too sad.  I would direct your questions to the School Initiative guy.  Oh Wait that is Col Al Applebaum (the PAWG Wing CO). 
What's up monkeys?

Tim Medeiros

currently Col Mikelson is DCS for Training at NHQ, the point of contact in FLWG presently is Maj Linda Trimpey, Group 800 Commander.

May also want to get in touch with NHQ/SEP Susan Mallett.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Tubacap

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 15, 2007, 03:34:03 PM
In PAWG, the Wing Commander only allows Teachers to be members of 800 school squadrons.  They accept only middle school school students and the primary focus is Aerospace not Leadership.  It all depends on what your Wing King wants I suppose.  In fact, PAWG has said that it only wants schools in Philadelphia, while I and a group of very interested and demanding administrators in other areas were ready to charter a school sqd.  Too sad.  I would direct your questions to the School Initiative guy.  Oh Wait that is Col Al Applebaum (the PAWG Wing CO). 

I'd say that this is incorrect.  I am currently working on an 800 squadron in PAWG that involves non-middle school students as well as non teachers as officers, and it is about 4 hours from Philly... although I could use a cheesesteak...
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Skyray

Quote from: timmed1577 on August 15, 2007, 03:35:39 PM
currently Col Mikelson is DCS for Training at NHQ, the point of contact in FLWG presently is Maj Linda Trimpey, Group 800 Commander.

May also want to get in touch with NHQ/SEP Susan Mallett.

Thanks for the update.  That should be enough to get Major Kach started.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member