Activities Officer - Role & Specialty Tracks

Started by Pylon, August 14, 2007, 02:26:41 PM

Pylon

The squadron activities officer (besides being a fun staff position) can be a great asset to a squadron.  The person acts as an events coordinator for the unit, arranging everything from field trips, bivouacs and training weekends to squadron picnics and fundraisers.

As CAPR 20-1 has it set up currently, it defines the position as applicable to Cadet and Composite squadrons only.  It also provides this job description:

QuoteSquadron Activities Officer (Applicable to Cadet and Composite Squadrons Only)

Plans and conducts interesting and challenging activities for CAP cadets, to include but not limited to:
Field trips.
Participating in emergency services exercises.
Sports competitions.
Social functions.
Community betterment projects.
Aerospace education activities (in coordination with aerospace education officer).

The squadron activities officer should be familiar with CAP directives in the 50, 76, 160, and 900 series.

I have two thoughts for this role.  I think a well-trained event coordinator for a squadron could be useful for both the senior and cadet programs, though as it stands now the individual focuses on CP & AE.  Every squadron holds activities - even senior only squadrons can hold SAREXs, training activities, off-site education, etc. and could benefit from a permanent "project officer."

Second, what specialty track does this individual follow?  Sure, Cadet Programs is an easy one, but the Activities Officer doesn't just administrate cadet programs.  As 20-1 points out, they need to be well versed in other areas, including insurance/liability, planning and coordinating, logistics, transportation, AF and DOD related things such as MSAs, and finance. 

Does the activity officer slot warrant additional "beefing" up of the professional education offered to those who plan, coordinate, and organize events?   It's a specific skill set and in the civilian world, events coordinators have career-specific education and associations (ISES, the International Special Events Society, is one of them providing professional growth opportunities).  Could CAP draw on the existing resources, adding CAP-specific material along the way?

Just some thoughts to ponder and throw in your two-cents.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Pylon

Seriously no thoughts?   

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I propose a special uniform with a blinking LED light specialty badge for Activity Officers.   Bet I'll get responses now?   :P  ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Activities Officer, an important job it is, but who is just an Activities Officer?  Think about what you need to know to be a good AO in a cadet or composite squadron.  First, you need to have a solid grasp on the CP.  Second, and probably more importantly, you need to know what your squadron is in to.  I've seen people pawn off the AO job to a part-timer, a parent even, who happens to be at the squadron anyway with their son or daughter.  I'm not saying there aren't any hardcore AOs out there who probably stemmed from being a DCC or CC and needed to tone down their involvement with CAP, but every squadron I've been in has always had everyone involved with the planning, logistics, and execution of quality activities.

I almost think it's a non-issue and an unnecessary position.  In most squadron, there are what, 2, 3, maybe 4 dedicated hard-chargin' seniors running the squadron anyway.  Those 4 folks are the ones who will actually do all the leg work in managing activities.

Orrr..... you've got the one guy, usually a parent, who works at ACME High Speed Inc., and decides to take on the task of putting together a tour, a guest speaker, or some hands-on activity with the product of that company.  Of course that person is the best to handle the task, they've got firsthand knowledge of that activity.

I don't know.  I think AO isn't such a critical position.  In my experience, it's been a job filled by someone who already has 2 or 3 jobs within the squadron.
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

I would first like to say that the blinking LED is ridiculous - glow in the dark would be much better!  I would also like to propose that the badge have a Wal*Mart smily on it representing the fun that CAP members have at the activities...

but seriously....

My squadron happens to have a dedicated Activities Officer - and boy does it help.

For instance, our squadron this month alone has:

5 Weekly Meetings
1 ES Weekend Training Event
1 Airshow
1 Open House
1 Cadet Professional development training activity
1 Disabled children's AE event
1 Orientation flight day
Numerous random orientation flights.
1 Concert
1 Weekday field trip

Having someone that can coordinate all the necessary people for each one is nice, make sure that things don't overlap or conflict (van usage, facility usage, etc).  It gives you one consistent point of contact, allows for someone that has a top level view of the activity, etc.

I think it is a worthwhile position if properly utilized.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Stonewall

Jimmy:

That sounds like a lot of activities for one month.  Generally, we planned one and maybe two outside activities a month.  So other than weekly meetings, the squadron would offer an ES exercise plus one additional activity like model rocketry, parades, air shows, tours, etc. 

Here's how we made our schedule:

December 1st (or somewhere around that time) we'd plan January through June's schedule.  That included the weekly meetings and weekend activities.  Generally offering 1 ES activity a month and 1 non-ES activity.  This calendar was issued to the entire squadron and wing before 1 January.

June 1st:  Same thing as December 1st above, taking into consideration NCSA, Encampment, and family activities, we'd taper off from July and August's weekend activities.

During the 6 month planning session, we assigned project officers.  So if we were going to the Andrews AFB Air Show, we'd have a squadron representative who communicated with wing and did our side of the set-up.  ES activities, we'd assign a senior and cadet to head that up.  Parades, same thing.

It is easy to burn your squadron out in a short time.  As a cadet I could have attended a CAP activity every weekend, but that was me.  In DC, we had so many over-achieving cadets that everyone was in at least 1 or 2 sports, band, boy scouts, or taking flight training.  Out of a squadron of 30 cadets, often times we'd only get 10 to show up for activities.  It sort of bummed me out, but then I realized, it was probably a blessing in disguise.
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

A brief period ago, our cadet numbers were dreadfully low because the squadron didn't provide any activities or other interesting things for them to do.

I will admit that this month is rather busy - and most have 2-4 "outside" activities offered (now).

Since we began to offer more things and get the seniors more involved with running the squadron and taking responsibility for their positions, the attendance has steadily increased both on the cadet side and senior side (heck we had our comm guy come out and teach the cadets how to log onto a net the other night - first time in a year I'd seen him, nevermind teach something).

I remember, like you, wanting to go to every CAP thing offered.  Even now, I enjoy doing them.  I don't get discouraged when we have a smaller crowd show up for something because I know everyone can't make everything, but that isn't going to stop me from offering activities.  We have many that do them all and some that do a few.

The only thing that drives me crazy is cadets signing up for things then not showing up - they get a good talking to about that one...

But back to the AO, the situation we are in right now, this position works well.  It provides some oversight and mentoring for the project officers, especially those that are new to CAP, provides a good coordination point for inter-squadron activities, helps keep activities on track with squadron goals, etc.  Ours even keeps our continuity file up to date with contact information for different trips and such, as well as does a "mission report" to explain what worked well, what didn't, the pitfalls, etc so if we do the event again and someone says - "let's put a tiger pit in the obstacle course," we can say - "yep, tried that, didn't work."

I guess it also depends on the environment of your squadron, some run like a business (ours), where everyone has their jobs, that's what they focus on and there is little 'mix'.  This was a huge shocker for me when I got to the squadron because there aren't many "well-rounded" members...to a "family style" squadron where everyone just does whatever they can whenever (cadet needs something issued from supply, nearest senior gets item and issues it instead of "go see the supply officer.")

As for a separate specialty track, nah, I don't think that's necessary, there are many courses in CAP that address many of the 'required' skills for the position. (SLS, CLC, AFIADL 13 (the management section isn't bad, just the CAP specific stuff), wing conferences, but mostly OJT is what is going to make or break the AO - some stuff you just can't teach...you don't need to specialize in an all areas to coordinate an activity.  The AO isn't about devloping the cirriculum, but coordinating the other aspects - just like the SLS director doesn't have to teach everything themselves - but they coordinate everything needed.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill