Main Menu

ABU Boots?

Started by Agent_ND, May 10, 2016, 07:56:35 PM

Agent_ND

Just curious, why are we sticking with the black combat boots? The only reason I thought the ABU's would be ok, was that we wouldn't have to shine boots anymore (Which I find annoying and very time-consuming, especially when I get new boots).
C/2d Lt (Mitchell Award Number 66681)
Flight Commander/Deputy Commander
NER-NH-053
NH/VT Wings Encampment:
  2015: Alpha Flight Sergeant Basic Encampment
  2016: Bravo Flight Commander Basic Encampment

jeders

Lots of reasons, all of which have been discussed here numerous time as well as mentioned in the National Commander's announcement about ABUs. If you use the search function up top and search for ABUs, you will find eleventy-billion threads on the subject.

Long story short, cost and distinctiveness.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Agent_ND on May 10, 2016, 07:56:35 PM
Just curious, why are we sticking with the black combat boots? The only reason I thought the ABU's would be ok, was that we wouldn't have to shine boots anymore (Which I find annoying and very time-consuming, especially when I get new boots).

Asked, answered, and beat to death. Read the other, literally current active ABU threads. If you're spending more than 5 minutes on polishing boots, you're doing it wrong.

Agent_ND

But I thought the whole reason we were switching was to be like the AF? and I thought the AF was going to give us a bunch of the stuff?
C/2d Lt (Mitchell Award Number 66681)
Flight Commander/Deputy Commander
NER-NH-053
NH/VT Wings Encampment:
  2015: Alpha Flight Sergeant Basic Encampment
  2016: Bravo Flight Commander Basic Encampment

Holding Pattern

Quote from: jeders on May 10, 2016, 08:00:58 PM
Lots of reasons, all of which have been discussed here numerous time as well as mentioned in the National Commander's announcement about ABUs. If you use the search function up top and search for ABUs, you will find eleventy-billion threads on the subject.

Long story short, cost and distinctiveness.

And character building!  >:D

jeders

Quote from: Agent_ND on May 10, 2016, 08:02:57 PM
But I thought the whole reason we were switching was to be like the AF? and I thought the AF was going to give us a bunch of the stuff?

It is one of the reasons and yes they are. But seriously, please go read the other topics on this subject rather than starting new ones. New ABU topics are the CAPTalk equivalent of someone ringing the door bell just as you get the dogs/baby to settle down and be quiet.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Agent_ND on May 10, 2016, 08:02:57 PM

Like does not mean "exactly the same."

CAP will always have differentiation of uniforms from the AF, as this is laid out in the regs as a requirement. There is a hidden regulation that will replace our nametapes with a maroon color if too many people complain though, so don't complain about it!

Meridius

Ok, I will take a whack at this one.  But, really, this has been beat to death already.

Black boots are easier to clean after tromping through the mud after an SAR mission in the middle of November.

Anyone else like a swing at the pinata?

THRAWN

Quote from: Meridius on May 10, 2016, 09:44:18 PM
Ok, I will take a whack at this one.  But, really, this has been beat to death already.

Black boots are easier to clean after tromping through the mud after an SAR mission in the middle of November.

Anyone else like a swing at the pinata?

This has been covered. Use the search function. They fought two wars in those boots. Cleaning them after a stroll in the woods on a fall day was not even a remote consideration during the discussion.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

grunt82abn

Maybe they kept the black boots to keep Cap members polishing them. I keep hearing from Senior NCO's in all branches that the downfall of discipline started when boot shinning went out the window. Not that I agree or disagree with this point, but it is an interesting point none the less.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

SarDragon

Polishing boots is overrated. Really.

I have a pair of boots older than any cadet, and it takes me about ten minutes to brush off the dirt, slap on a layer of polish, and brush and buff to an acceptable shine. Can't see my face in them, or use them as a shaving mirror, but there's a shine there. Oh, and a few grrrs from some hard use.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

1. To distinguish us from USAF
2. The green suede boots cost from $80-over 100 dollars. Since dislike the AF they are not issued to CAP, it eliminates a big cost for all.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 11, 2016, 12:06:10 AM
2. The green suede boots cost from $80-over 100 dollars. Since dislike the AF they are not issued to CAP, it eliminates a big cost for all.

The only place I've seen the Green Boots for $80 was at a Surplus Store. And those were pretty beat up.
The one's in Clothing Sales in the Exchange go from $110 to $150, depending on the model and the manufacturer.

Luis R. Ramos

For those of you clamoring for the "Green suede boots,,,"

I made a search thinking of you. Here are my results...

https://www.google.com/search?q=green+suede+boots&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjm1r_569DMAhWJ0h4KHXPAAWcQ_AUICCgC&biw=1280&bih=609

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Simple Jack

So do the black boots.  If you are trying to get a decent pair of boots its going to be the same price.  Its not like they are more expensive just because of the color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Simple Jack

Quote from: PHall on May 11, 2016, 01:07:40 AM

The only place I've seen the Green Boots for $80 was at a Surplus Store. And those were pretty beat up.
The one's in Clothing Sales in the Exchange go from $110 to $150, depending on the model and the manufacturer.
To add, The best Idea I have seen Is Authorize the Sage green, Black, and the Tan or New Army Tan/Brown regulation color.

stillamarine

Quote from: youduho on May 11, 2016, 01:24:56 AM
So do the black boots.  If you are trying to get a decent pair of boots its going to be the same price.  Its not like they are more expensive just because of the color.

You are wearing them once a week. You don't need fancy boots. I have a pair of 30 dollar jungle boots from Academy. Hold a good shine, just needed inserts. Work great and will probably last me over a year. My work boots cost well over a $100 but I wear those over 40 hours a week.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Simple Jack

Quote from: stillamarine on May 11, 2016, 03:10:02 AM

You are wearing them once a week. You don't need fancy boots. I have a pair of 30 dollar jungle boots from Academy. Hold a good shine, just needed inserts. Work great and will probably last me over a year. My work boots cost well over a $100 but I wear those over 40 hours a week.
Not if you are going out on sarx's and  weekend events. Then you need a a good pair that wont destroy your feet

Simple Jack

Quote from: stillamarine on May 11, 2016, 03:10:02 AM

And another thing, if you don't need "fancy" ones why do need a actual fancy pair of dress shoes for class A's B's or what ever dress uniform you wear?

SarDragon

Your concept of "fancy" seems flawed. Dress uniforms get dress shoes. Working uniforms get working footwear. There are two different environments here.

Dress shoes are exactly that, there for the looks. Mine are real leather, and I've had them for about ten years. I take good care of them, and wear them 4 or 5 times a month. No spit shine, but they get a coat of polish regularly.

My boots, as noted on a different thread, are ancient, but are still functional, and shine up pretty well, too. They are working footwear, and have a different purpose - protect my feet and ankles in a working environment.

You would do well to divert your energy to more productive ideas. Fuzzy boots, for the time being, isn't one of them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret