official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

Psicorp

Quote from: MajorChuck on July 01, 2006, 03:40:39 AM
Greetings From Michigan!

I'm Chuck Cook,I'm a Comm. Officer on MIWG Staff.
Joined CAP in 1999.
I am also a Amateur Radio  Operator,Callsign N8SN,and My CAP Callsign is Red Robin 4.

Greetings, sir.

It's always an honor to meet a local on an internet bulletin site.  Out of curiosity, sir, will you be attending the practice SAR/DR in Monroe on Aug. 18-20th?

Jamie Kahler, SM
MI-257
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Spaceman3750

Hey guys, a shoutout from ILWG...  Many of you probably know me from CS and Civil Air Portal...

Pylon

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 17, 2006, 01:05:44 PM
Hey guys, a shoutout from ILWG...  Many of you probably know me from CS and Civil Air Portal...

Welcome aboard.  Can't have too many CAP-website-accounts! Might as well hit them all. :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Smitty (The Other One)

Greetings.  Some of y'all may know me from CS and CivilAirPortal.  Because I'm retiring from the CAP Cadet Program next month and don't have any time for CAP because of college, CAP online forums make up the extent of my 'CAP Activities.' :)  It was funny to find another Smitty on CAPTalk... so far, I'm the only one on CS and CivilAirPortal. 

My Mom was once a member of CAPTalk... back when it was all e-mails and no online forum.  I learned some cool things about CAP from her correspondence with people online from all over the country, and have learned more about the organization as a whole.  It's cool to know that if I've got questions, there's 3 different forums I can go to to get answers (4 counting baseops.net).   

Anyway, it's good to be here and I'll do my best not to put my foot in my mouth.  I hope to enjoy a lot of cool discussions and learn even more about CAP, AFROTC, the military and other stuff.  These forums rock!   

shorning

Quote from: Smitty (The Other One) on September 01, 2006, 02:36:00 AM
My Mom was once a member of CAPTalk... back when it was all e-mails and no online forum. 

The two aren't the same thing.  In fact the email group still exists.  They are entirely separate from each other with the only common factor being "CAP".

Cobra1597

Hello all. Just registered here. I've been in CAP for almost 9 years, starting as a cadet. I went through the whole program including Spaatz, and went over to the "dark side" (a.k.a. "Senior Member") back in April.

I've been registered on the Spaatz Association forums under this name for a little while now. I decided over the last few days to branch out more. I am on here and CS now.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

MIKE

I think he wants to spy on me or something.  :D
Mike Johnston

caphornbuckle

Hello all!

I'm a new Squadron Commander of a Composite Squadron in Indiana Wing.  I have had experience as a commander before but never with a Composite unit.

I joined CAP as a cadet in 1988 (before the seniors had the maroons) and served in the AF as Security Police.  I took some time off but my service to CAP totals 14 1/2 years and I had to start over twice in my grades (time gap in service too long).  But I'm back now and willing to seek advice on how to work with seniors in a composite squadron.  This site has been very helpful and I have looked up many links that have been referenced in here.

It's never too late for an old dog to learn a new trick or two in leadership (even though I'm only 30...it seems like I'm an old dog with all these cadets around...lol) and I am more than willing to accept any help CAP Talk can give!  I hope to be able to give some advice myself.

My thanks goes out to all the moderators and owners of this site!  I hope I'm not the only one learning something on here!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: caphornbuckle on September 01, 2006, 05:27:47 PM
Hello all!

I'm a new Squadron Commander of a Composite Squadron in Indiana Wing.  I have had experience as a commander before but never with a Composite unit.

I joined CAP as a cadet in 1988 (before the seniors had the maroons) and served in the AF as Security Police.  I took some time off but my service to CAP totals 14 1/2 years and I had to start over twice in my grades (time gap in service too long).  But I'm back now and willing to seek advice on how to work with seniors in a composite squadron.  This site has been very helpful and I have looked up many links that have been referenced in here.

It's never too late for an old dog to learn a new trick or two in leadership (even though I'm only 30...it seems like I'm an old dog with all these cadets around...lol) and I am more than willing to accept any help CAP Talk can give!  I hope to be able to give some advice myself.

Welcome to CAPTalk!  :)   I'm sure you'll enjoy reading the various discussions and have some great input as well, especially as a squadron commander.

Quote from: caphornbuckle on September 01, 2006, 05:27:47 PM
I hope I'm not the only one learning something on here!

Believe me, I learn something new on here just about every day.  Learning never ends.   8)

Smitty (The Other One)

Quote from: shorning on September 01, 2006, 03:21:22 AM
My Mom was once a member of CAPTalk... back when it was all e-mails and no online forum. 

The two aren't the same thing.  In fact the email group still exists.  They are entirely separate from each other with the only common factor being "CAP".

Oh, okay.  For some reason, I thought the e-mail group was the beginning of what is now the CAPTalk forum site.  I wonder how they both use the same name?  Isin't that copyright infringement or something like that?  You did say that the only connection between the two is the use of "CAP." 

Cobra1597

Quote from: MIKE on September 01, 2006, 02:09:49 PM
I think he wants to spy on me or something.  :D
Nah, couldn't be  :angel:
Spaatz #1597

Pylon

Quote from: Smitty (The Other One) on September 01, 2006, 11:37:07 PM

Oh, okay.  For some reason, I thought the e-mail group was the beginning of what is now the CAPTalk forum site.  I wonder how they both use the same name?  Isin't that copyright infringement or something like that?  You did say that the only connection between the two is the use of "CAP." 

Copyright infringement?  Hah, nope, not even the right area.  But it's not a trademark infringement, either.   

Plus, I believe the old CAP email group styled their name differently... along the lines of CAP-Talk or some such.  CAPTalk or CAP Talk is how we style it here.  Haven't had any major confusion of the two and don't even know if the old mailing list is still around. 

Cobra1597

Quote from: Pylon on September 05, 2006, 02:40:25 AM
Quote from: Smitty (The Other One) on September 01, 2006, 11:37:07 PM

Copyright infringement?  Hah, nope, not even the right area.  But it's not a trademark infringement, either.   

Plus, I believe the old CAP email group styled their name differently... along the lines of CAP-Talk or some such.  CAPTalk or CAP Talk is how we style it here.  Haven't had any major confusion of the two and don't even know if the old mailing list is still around. 
It is, my father is on it. I was actually trying to find it when I found this. Still need to find the other one. Probably should just ask him.
Spaatz #1597

Lancer

Hi All, new here...been on CivilAirPortal.com for the last few weeks and just found this place. Nice to see so many CAP'ers active online.

I'm a former cadet, 84-86, C/A1C from South Macomb Cadet Squadron 3-2. Just joined the Boulle-Norman Cadet Squadron in Grand Rapids, MI with my 13 stepson.  In fact today I got my temporary membership card in the mail, was quite excited to see it. I think the first thing I did after opening the envelope was log onto the eServices website. Lord I'm such a geek.  ;D

Just wanted to say hello!

Pylon

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on October 01, 2006, 03:48:21 AM
Hi All, new here...been on CivilAirPortal.com for the last few weeks and just found this place. Nice to see so many CAP'ers active online.

I'm a former cadet, 84-86, C/A1C from South Macomb Cadet Squadron 3-2. Just joined the Boulle-Norman Cadet Squadron in Grand Rapids, MI with my 13 stepson.  In fact today I got my temporary membership card in the mail, was quite excited to see it. I think the first thing I did after opening the envelope was log onto the eServices website. Lord I'm such a geek.  ;D

Welcome aboard!  Glad to see you're so enthusiastic about getting back into CAP and chatting with us all!  I think you'll find both CAPTalk and Civil Air Portal to be great resources.

Psicorp

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on October 01, 2006, 03:48:21 AM

Greetings fellow Michigander!  You say "geek" like it's a bad thing :)
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Lancer

Quote from: Pylon on October 01, 2006, 07:15:42 AM
Welcome aboard!  Glad to see you're so enthusiastic about getting back into CAP and chatting with us all!  I think you'll find both CAPTalk and Civil Air Portal to be great resources.

Thanks Pylon! I'm very excited about getting involved again. It's fun too to see my stepson who hasn't shown any real interest in any extra curricular activity get so excited with something I enjoyed as a teen myself.

Lancer

Quote from: Psicorp on October 01, 2006, 01:37:50 PM
Greetings fellow Michigander!  You say "geek" like it's a bad thing :)

Greetings to you as well!

Oh no, not a bad thing, I embrace my 'geekness', it's a big part of who I am and my profession as an IT support pro! :-)

ryan s

im so glad i took the time to find this place because i find its hard to find time to ask questions that are not about the topic we are discussing at unit meetings. This site really helped me clear up some questions i had about testing and basic uniform stuff, thank you very much for all those that helped me.
cadet airman Ryan scott
ner-ny-135 compsite sq.

davedove

Hi everybody.  I just joined CAP in June here in the Frederick Composite Squadron, Maryland Wing.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003