Main Menu

New SecAF a friend of CAP?

Started by radioconsult, December 07, 2016, 11:39:24 PM

radioconsult

Rep Jim Bridenstine (R OK) has been mentioned as the new SecAF.  That would be good news for CAP, he is a friend of CAP. On his Twitter Home page there are several pictures of him at CAP functions including our local units annual Changing of the Guard ceremony each Memorial Day. :clap:
50 Year Member!

Mitchell 1969

He might be a friend of CAP. He might not. But affixing that label to a politician requires a bit more than a photo of him attending a public event that also has CAP people present.

If presence was the test, we could just as easily say "He's a great friend of hospitals" because he was photographed at the dedication ceremony for the new county hospital ER.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on December 08, 2016, 05:05:49 AM
He might be a friend of CAP. He might not. But affixing that label to a politician requires a bit more than a photo of him attending a public event that also has CAP people present.

He does a bit more than "happens to be there."

It looks like he is or was pretty heavily involved with the Starbase Composite Squadron according to a few google searches.

Jester

I'd be curious to know what actual, tangible benefit could be expected or desired from him being a CAP advocate.

THRAWN

Quote from: Jester on December 08, 2016, 06:37:50 PM
I'd be curious to know what actual, tangible benefit could be expected or desired from him being a CAP advocate.

Green boots with the ABU? Another USAF award for the ribbonly-stunted? Actual support missions for our parent service that would make us more AUX-ON than corporate? The list is endless....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Quote from: Jester on December 08, 2016, 06:37:50 PM

Just a couple off the top of my head.

• More familiarity as to what the "Civil What Patrol?" is.
  • Less spin-up time to actively engage with the Air Staff on CAP-related things (ie. when someone on the Air Staff says "We have Civil Air Patrol doing that mission.." there's not a 15 minute sidebar for the SecAF every time explaining who these people are, what they do, how they do it, and what value add they bring to the Air Force mission)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

DJ Light Chop

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 08, 2016, 08:29:15 PM
A-10s?

>:D

I seriously doubt many municipalities are going to want to pay cap for SARs when they're going to be paying for A-10 refueling.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JoshN on December 09, 2016, 01:09:57 AM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 08, 2016, 08:29:15 PM
A-10s?

>:D

I seriously doubt many municipalities are going to want to pay cap for SARs when they're going to be paying for A-10 refueling.

They don't pay for CAP SAR. If they've exhausted their resources/mutual aid, Ma Blue foots the bill.

That said, Ma Blue probably doesn't want to foot that bill either >:D.

DJ Light Chop

I thought they pay for fuel/maintenance costs for aircraft unless it's an AF authorized mission. 

PHall

Quote from: JoshN on December 09, 2016, 02:17:11 AM
I thought they pay for fuel/maintenance costs for aircraft unless it's an AF authorized mission.

Yep, if it's a "corporate" mission, the customer pays.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on December 08, 2016, 07:45:16 PM
  • Less spin-up time to actively engage with the Air Staff on CAP-related things (ie. when someone on the Air Staff says "We have Civil Air Patrol doing that mission.." there's not a 15 minute sidebar for the SecAF every time explaining who these people are, what they do, how they do it, and what value add they bring to the Air Force mission)

Yeah, but I bet there's an extended sigh...

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2016, 04:58:43 AMYeah, bit I bet there's an extended sigh...

I gotta say, the current SecAF seems fully engaged with CAP-USAF and CAP, Inc. She is fully aware of who we are and certainly doesn't need a 15 min brief about us. A friend recently saw her speak in person and apparently she spoke at great length about who CAP is and what CAP is doing to support the Air Force.

I'm almost bummed we finally got on the SecAF's radar and now the person will change. Such as life with government!

Luis R. Ramos

If no A-10s, what about AV-8s?

Slow over the search zone, passes a potential find so it pivots. Then when find is confirmed, lands to drop survival stuff!

8)

Squadron Safety Officer

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JoshN on December 09, 2016, 02:17:11 AM

Since all SAR requests get funneled through AFRCC, as long as the criteria are met, AFRCC cuts a funded mission number. It is highly unlikely, though still possible under the right situation, that your wing especially would conduct SAR under a C mission.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 09, 2016, 02:29:14 PMIt is highly unlikely, though still possible under the right situation, that your wing especially would conduct SAR under a C mission.

Depends on the circumstances as to "unlikely" - our wing has been fairly prone to C-missions for missing persons, especially.

Meeting the criteria for AFRCC AFAMs that aren't ELTs is a fair ramp.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 09, 2016, 01:12:01 PM
If no A-10s, what about AV-8s?

Slow over the search zone, passes a potential find so it pivots. Then when find is confirmed, lands to drop survival stuff!

8)

USAF doesn't have Harriers and the Marines will not let you have them. We don't need combat aircraft, we need suitable missions that we can perform.

SAR in a lot of places is dying. DR only happens when there is a disaster. What to do for the rest of the time? How can CAP be utilized to support the missions of the Air Force as a whole? Already, we have chaplains supporting USAF missions. How about lawyers? Doctors? Accountants? Safety professionals? IT types? Lots of ways for us to play and support shortages in unit manpower, especially in AFR and ANG units. The SECAF could help with that...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

FW

Quote from: THRAWN on December 09, 2016, 03:06:29 PM
SAR in a lot of places is dying. DR only happens when there is a disaster. What to do for the rest of the time? How can CAP be utilized to support the missions of the Air Force as a whole? Already, we have chaplains supporting USAF missions. How about lawyers? Doctors? Accountants? Safety professionals? IT types? Lots of ways for us to play and support shortages in unit manpower, especially in AFR and ANG units. The SECAF could help with that...

Nope.  Air Force doesn't have a problem manning professionals.  CAP doesn't have a problem utilizing Finance and IT types; they have plenty to do.  It's CAP's problem to recruit, retain, and motivate membership...  The SecAF (select) can be a motivator when doing the things our current SecAF is doing...

Eclipse

I would add that CAP shouldn't be recruiting people for the purposes of augmenting the USAF, that's not
what CAP is about, despite the attempts over the years to do things like that ((*cough*)) VSAF ((*cough*)).

The Chaplain's unique ability to augment, again in rare and specific circumstances notwithstanding, CAP is not
a personnel gateway for the USAF for either cadets or seniors, and shouldn't be.  It's one thing for members to provide
occasional fill-in during a crisis, and a whole 'nother to be back filling budgeted billets that go unfilled, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Sorry guys for trying to inject a little humor in these threads, and trying to bring responses to extend threads that I find inminently [sic] purposeful. I will keep my contributions as serious as I can make them.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Squadron Safety Officer