Civil Air Patrol As Well As Federal Government to Close Down!

Started by RADIOMAN015, March 25, 2011, 06:00:38 PM

Major Carrales

Considering that most of our funding for squadron activities comes from the leather tri-fold wallet housed in my back pocket, local donations of time/supplies and cadets (collections for gas et al), this will have little effect on our squadron activities.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

Well.....after three pages of angsts.......has anyone suggesting callying your senators and representitives and telling them that you think they are NOT doing their job?

I know that if I were SIX MONTHS behind on a dead line.....I would be in line at the unemployment officer.

I know how I am voting next set of elections........anyone but the encumbant.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PaulR

Quote from: Header on March 27, 2011, 04:32:28 PM
PaulR.  Are you now prescribing without a license?  ;D

I dont have a license, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last week.
;D

Major Carrales

Quote from: lordmonar on March 27, 2011, 05:18:27 PM
I know how I am voting next set of elections........anyone but the incumbent.

It's all happening because of political posturing, as mentioned before, put new people in there and you will have the same song with different musicians.

What needs to happen is that there needs to be massive objective cuts up there.  By that, I mean that programs need to be examined for real wastes.   Those who abuse welfare need to loose it in favor of those that are really suffering.   If you live in government housing and have a new car and flat screen TV, you need to have either those items confiscated as the results of abuse or start paying more rent.

I know those that would say... "Food Stamp Programs need to be monitored, there are those that trade their food stamps for booze and cash...lock em up and let them stand in a line in a prison cafeteria for their food."

School districts can start consolidating and start eliminating some of the layers of administration and directorates...keep the teachers, loose the Superintendent's secretary's secretary.  Keep the janitors and maintenance people and lose the guy in the office at admin who no one is sure of his job.

The fact is, these are hard times.  Taxing people to death is not the answer...the government is not the savior.  What happens when the middle and upper classes are taxed to support an ever growing lower class is a sort of social inertia.  A genuine slowdown of economic activity.

The only solution is to cut spending and tax responsibly.

I think, and this may sound unrealistic to some, that if we cut and had a few "lean years" that two things would happen...1) a massive reduction of waste in government programs and 2) some more self-sufficiency in communities. 

As I said, aside from O-Flights and blues, very little direct funds come from CAP and the AIR FORCE.  We have had to scrounge around for what we have, take up collections and ask parents to fund elements of the program.  That is grassroots CAP, and it doesn't just happen in South Texas. 

It can be done...we may have to heed the words of the President when he said we had to sacrifice.  As to how much is enough...who knows.  I, unlike others, did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!! lol

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 27, 2011, 05:45:03 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on March 27, 2011, 05:18:27 PM
I know how I am voting next set of elections........anyone but the incumbent.

As I said, aside from O-Flights and blues, very little direct funds come from CAP and the AIR FORCE.  We have had to scrounge around for what we have, take up collections and ask parents to fund elements of the program.  That is grassroots CAP, and it doesn't just happen in South Texas. 

Oh, really --  The wing administrators and some of the folks at CAP HQ are laid off.   Who processes the check out of the Wing Banker's program?   Who's paying for the computer bandwidth going into National HQ?  What happens to the computer team at National and who keeps the system going for on line cadet & senior testing?, etc, etc, etc,

The last time I looked at CAP's audited statements there's a heck of lot they are supporting at the local level.  We really couldn't survive without Air Force support unless a lot of changes in the administrative mumbo jumbo's compliance we reduced or eliminated completely.   Actually now might be a real good time to start looking at how many regulations in CAP can be cut to reduce expenditures.
RM   

BillB

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 27, 2011, 07:11:08 PM
Oh, really --  The wing administrators and some of the folks at CAP HQ are laid off.

Do you know that for a fact? BTW - the term is "furloughed" not "laid off".  Which is more than semantics.

Who processes the check out of the Wing Banker's program?
Hmmm...how about the wing FM, his staff, and the Wing CC for starters?  Plenty of people authorized to write checks, not that
they will need to for a few hours of pretend shut down.

Who's paying for the computer bandwidth going into National HQ?  What happens to the computer team at National and who keeps the system going for on line cadet & senior testing?, etc, etc, etc,
I don't know about how you do things, but most people don't pay for services on a daily basis, which means things like broadband and
consulting services will be unaffected.
The last time I looked at CAP's audited statements there's a heck of lot they are supporting at the local level.  We really couldn't survive without Air Force support unless a lot of changes in the administrative mumbo jumbo's compliance we reduced or eliminated completely.

Please be specific, because beyond the framework of the program, the FCU, the radios, and the aircraft, I am unaware of much direct, monetary support
that filters to unit level, and certainly nothing that would be effected by a few hours of pretend government shut down.

"That Others May Zoom"

commando1

I think we should all take a step back and look at our own name...CAP. We all know that it means Come And Pay.  8)
Non Timebo Mala

PaulR

MIKE

Mike Johnston

PaulR

Based what I have seen in the former members thread,

Continuous Attrition Program

MikeD

Quote from: Major Lord on March 25, 2011, 09:32:03 PM
I think the most [darn]ing thing about a Govt shutdown is how few people would notice. The revenues of the Federal Government are sufficient to continue funding treasury obligations and "critical" federal employees ( Note: All of them, in the Govt's opinion) pretty much ad infinitum. If the Rural Electrification Committee or the Avocado Advisory board goes unfunded, I don't think we will have Libya-level riots.

Major Lord

Pretty much all of NASA not working ISS or security at the gates will be sent home.  Boeing won't be happy about delays in certification of new aircraft since the FAA outside of ATC and such will be shut down.  Good luck trying to get a passport, or retire and start collecting social security.  I'm  expecting a 2 day shutdown, long enough for some to rile up the base and say "Yehaw we shut down them thar gov'met to show em we mean business!"  but not long enough for anyone to really notice the effect.  At least I'm hoping it's not that long, I have some younger coworkers (some with a wife and kids) who would be really hurting with a week or so unpaid. 

Major Lord

If you are trying to make the case that the average citizen will in any way be effected by a government shutdown, I don't think it has been effective. I know that many government employees and contractors will have a temporary inconvenience, but  if the House of Representatives prevents an increase in the debt limit, Congress is going to have to do some pretty serious trimming. Yes, the tax-feeders in America won't like it, but we pay their payroll, and we can live with their disapproval if it means a solvent country. Its a better alternative than a federal default or a revolution, both very realistic alternatives.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Bluelakes 13

I can only hope for the fed gov to be shut down for a few months...

But realistically, we spend 3.5 trillion on 2.0 trillion income.  Someday, maybe not in my lifetime, a balanced budget will become a necessity.  The $700 billion defence budget will take a huge hit.  If that means the end of USAF's funding for CAP, that may be the end of CAP...

N Harmon

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 27, 2011, 07:11:08 PMOh, really --  The wing administrators and some of the folks at CAP HQ are laid off.   Who processes the check out of the Wing Banker's program?   Who's paying for the computer bandwidth going into National HQ?  What happens to the computer team at National and who keeps the system going for on line cadet & senior testing?, etc, etc, etc,

How much of that is funded by the government as opposed to membership dues?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

a2capt

Complete All Paperwork
Complaints Are Probable
Can Anyone Plan?

JeffDG

Quote from: MikeD on March 28, 2011, 02:24:29 AM
Pretty much all of NASA not working ISS or security at the gates will be sent home.  Boeing won't be happy about delays in certification of new aircraft since the FAA outside of ATC and such will be shut down.  Good luck trying to get a passport, or retire and start collecting social security.  I'm  expecting a 2 day shutdown, long enough for some to rile up the base and say "Yehaw we shut down them thar gov'met to show em we mean business!"  but not long enough for anyone to really notice the effect.  At least I'm hoping it's not that long, I have some younger coworkers (some with a wife and kids) who would be really hurting with a week or so unpaid.
I wouldn't expect passport services to shut down, as they should be fees-funded.  Haven't heard anything specific to passport, but I am in the middle of a rather important application with USCIS, and knowledgeable lawyers have said that because most USCIS services are funded by application fees, they will not be impacted by a shutdown.

a2capt

Passports may be fees-funded, but it's never been the same since 2001, to get one. It takes forever. We can invade a medium sized middle eastern country and build a lot of facilities to support that invasion in the time frame it takes to get 1 passport. (I know, they do lots of them daily).

I do believe that despite all those abandoned posts the last time this happen, most if not all of those people got paid, too. When it was all signed and sealed.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: a2capt on March 28, 2011, 03:25:49 PMIt takes forever.

That's weird, because I just renewed my passport a few months ago.  I got it back in 1.5 weeks without paying for the "express" service. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JeffDG

Quote from: a2capt on March 28, 2011, 03:25:49 PM
Passports may be fees-funded, but it's never been the same since 2001, to get one. It takes forever. We can invade a medium sized middle eastern country and build a lot of facilities to support that invasion in the time frame it takes to get 1 passport. (I know, they do lots of them daily).

I do believe that despite all those abandoned posts the last time this happen, most if not all of those people got paid, too. When it was all signed and sealed.
Seriously, you should try some other countries.  In order for me to renew my Canadian passport, I have to file a full application (no such thing as a "renewal"), send off my old passport and wait 8-10 weeks.  There is no way to expedite from outside of Canada (only way to expedite is to go into a Passport Canada office).

So, here I am, outside the country, with my proof of legal presence gone, for 8-10 weeks.  Talk about an uncomfortable situation. 

Oh, and we have to do it ever 5 years, not 10.