Main Menu

New CAP ID-Card policy

Started by Eclipse, October 26, 2010, 05:40:29 PM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JArvey on December 17, 2010, 11:56:57 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 16, 2010, 05:24:39 AM
Nobody but people serving torrents is clocking more than 5GB a month.

First of all my house has more than that, and my squadron has way more than that because we do cyberpatriot and we have somtimes 5 computers running at once.

JArvey, he meant 5GB a month on your cell phone.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Tim Medeiros

Holy crap, since July I've been clocking 20-40GB every couple of weeks, and that's just to beta test a game.  In November it was another 30GB for the live version.

That's just a single online game, not to mention the others I play which patch every week or two.

Edit:

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 17, 2010, 04:08:15 PM
Quote from: JArvey on December 17, 2010, 11:56:57 AM

First of all my house has more than that, and my squadron has way more than that because we do cyberpatriot and we have somtimes 5 computers running at once.

JArvey, he meant 5GB a month on your cell phone.

I'm guessing he, like me, didn't see the distinction made.  Either way I'm keeping what I said above intact as I did indeed say it.  I was thinking he was using an ISP that actually had download limits, as some do though I'm not sure who exactly.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

jimmydeanno

You're going to be hard-pressed to find someone on their phone more than me and I'm doing about 2.5.

Certainly cadet testing and other legit CAP use would never come close.

I was using this post, as well as the few just before it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Tim Medeiros

I had thought those were 3 completely separate thoughts.  I'm all for using the internet in imaginative ways, but never would even think of using my phone for an online test.
1577/2811

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on December 17, 2010, 04:47:53 PM
I had thought those were 3 completely separate thoughts.  I'm all for using the internet in imaginative ways, but never would even think of using my phone for an online test.

I'm pretty sure that the intent was to use the phone's mobile wi-fi capabilities to provide normal laptops the internet access.  The online tests don't transmit or receive that much data, so even people with phone carriers that limit data usage to 5GB/month, should have no problem offering their phone to provide the access.

JoeTomasone

We had Cadets complete OPSEC on a cell phone at a recent ACUT/BCUT class.   <shrug>

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 17, 2010, 04:57:48 PM

I'm pretty sure that the intent was to use the phone's mobile wi-fi capabilities to provide normal laptops the internet access.  The online tests don't transmit or receive that much data, so even people with phone carriers that limit data usage to 5GB/month, should have no problem offering their phone to provide the access.
That would be why I didn't think of that, my phone doesn't have that capability
Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 17, 2010, 05:00:30 PM

We had Cadets complete OPSEC on a cell phone at a recent ACUT/BCUT class.   <shrug>

To be fair, OPSEC isn't exactly a "test" :P
1577/2811

nesagsar

Is there any accepted equivalence for the OPSEC course? I have certificates from the Inter-agency OPSEC Support Staff and National Cryptologic School.

Tim Medeiros

Really?  Agreeing to the NDA is that much of a pain?

You don't even need to look at the slides.......
1577/2811

DakRadz

Quote from: nesagsar on December 17, 2010, 09:24:31 PM
Is there any accepted equivalence for the OPSEC course? I have certificates from the Inter-agency OPSEC Support Staff and National Cryptologic School.
It takes less time and bandwidth than one page of a uniform argument, sir. I promise.

nesagsar

I was not aware that it will be that simple. To get those certs I had to sit through classes and take real tests.

Tim Medeiros

All it is essentially is signing a Non Disclosure Agreement, before that is a PowerPoint explaining what it is.
1577/2811

SARDOC

Without reading the entire seven pages of posts how far do I need to go back to find out where this thread went way off topic?   >:D

HGjunkie

Quote from: SARDOC on December 17, 2010, 11:48:42 PM
Without reading the entire seven pages of posts how far do I need to go back to find out where this thread went way off topic?   >:D
A safe bet is somewhere between pages 2 and 3.  ::)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

bosshawk

A good bet, but a bit surprising that it didn't turn into a uniform thread before page 3.

Oh, maybe the ID card is considered an item of uniform.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Cool Mace

Quote from: bosshawk on December 18, 2010, 12:31:50 AM
A good bet, but a bit surprising that it didn't turn into a uniform thread before page 3.

I was just thinking the same thing?

Interesting thread, to say the least...
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

SARDOC

If you do consider the ID card a Uniform Item...Could this be the First time a Uniform thread was turned into a communications/IT thread?

davidsinn

Quote from: SARDOC on December 18, 2010, 01:58:30 AM

If you do consider the ID card a Uniform Item...Could this be the First time a Uniform thread was turned into a communications/IT thread?

No, because that would cause a rupture in the space/time continuum.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

manfredvonrichthofen

I am pretty sure the ID card is a uniform item. You can't be on a mission without it can you?

Spaceman3750

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/mifi-2200.html

I have one of these guys rolling around in my car somewhere... The up-front sticker shock is a bit high but having pre-paid data is NICE. I used it for some web surfing (much more than the OPSEC or safety class) while camping earlier this year and didn't come close to my 250MB cap.