Shirt Garters - Do you wear 'em?

Started by Pylon, July 01, 2005, 02:47:04 AM

Do you wear shirt garters with your dress uniform. If so, how often?

Yeah, I wear 'em faithfully.
I only wear 'em for special occassions.
Nah. I go without and feel just fine.
I'm so different, I don't fit into these choices. See my lengthy explanation below.

footballrun21

Because they are visible when you sit.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

Yoda

Quote from: footballrun21 on October 16, 2005, 02:24:14 AM
Because they are visible when you sit.

This might be a stupid question, but you are putting the on under the sock, right?

Dan

To C/TSgt Michael Pettit:

I can understand your frustration with your shirt garters, as the kind you described seem so different.

Holden Fenner may have one solution, if putting the foot loop on before donning your socks is not very uncomfortable. By putting your socks on after slipping your foot through the loop, you would at least hide them from view when sitting.

However, if that option makes your feet feel very uncomfortable, the only other alternative I can think of is to invest $6.75 in the Y-type I mentioned in my earlier post.  I know this is a trade-off since it adds to the cost of your uniform, but it's the best option I can think of.

Best wishes, whatever your decision.
Dan Bilitz, Capt, CAP
Aerospace Education Officer
WI-057 Col. R.C. Jaye Mem. Comp. Sqdn.

Dan

I apologize, C/TSgt Pettit. Your first name is Stephen, not Michale.
Dan Bilitz, Capt, CAP
Aerospace Education Officer
WI-057 Col. R.C. Jaye Mem. Comp. Sqdn.

Eclipse

OK - I'll tell my mass casualties story...

I am the Commander of the Illinois Wing Spring Encampment, which is held each year at Naval Station Great Lakes.

Some background:  I have no prior military experience, and one of the reasons I joined was to become a part of something that had rules, structure, and discipline.
I try hard to get things right and be professional, but some days the odds are against you.

As this is a 2-weekend encampment, our cadets and staff in-process on Friday nights.
Between 1600 & 2000 we bring in about 150 CAP members through the main RTC gates. This is generally challenging enough, but this weekend held a special surprise.

A Marine had been killed in action during the (then) new fighting in Iraq, he was from the NE IL area,  and a last-minute decision had been made to hold a memorial service for him at the RTC's new gym.

This was to be a full-on military service with Flag officers, US Congressman and Senators, and plenty of other brass, dignitaries, family members, and of course the press.

On my arrival the Senior Chief who was our USN/CAP liaison, gave the me the news that during the height of our in-process, the base would be fully-locked down, and the main road to the ship we were assigned would be closed.

(NSGL being the only BMT base for the USN, they take force-protection very seriously on a "normal" day).

The SC was further "happy" about the fact that a contingent of Marine Security Police were on base to beef up the regular base security combination of DOD, USN, & civilian police and guards.  Needless to say the place way very crowded, busy, and all the expressions were SERIOUS.  This was the real thing.

So here comes (then) CAP 1Lt Eclipse in his shiny blue uniform (wheel-cap and all to match the dress of the RDC's at the time).  All strapped-up w/ my garters to hold things in.

I was directed to a gunnery Sgt who was in charge of the Marine detail.  He and a USN base cop laid out their plans for alternate ingress and movement around the ceremony.

He than said something that made me understand the term "pucker-factor". 

"Sir, the ambulances will be placed here, and this will be our triage area in the case of mass casualties.  This is where you would direct your people should the need arise..."

My reply, after a few more beats, "Sgt, we've been planning this for over six months,
in my hand I have the ops plan, and I promise you, at no time did the term "mass casualties ever come up.  But we'll do whatever we have to."

"OK, Sir.  I need to take care of some more planning; can we meet back here in 20 minutes to walk through the new route?"

"Sure, no problem.  I'll let my people know what is happening..."

I turned and walked away, got about ten away paces and heard.

"SIR!"

"Uh, oh..."

I turned around and he snapped me the sharpest salute a gunny has, which I returned with a shaky hand.  Ooops.  This was a no-[mess] salute from someone who lives and dies by protocol, in the hardest-corps service on the United States. 
He wasn't interested in a discussion of auxiliary vs. active, or my civilian status, etc.
He saw that someone gave me some shiny bars, and rendered the courtesies I was, in
his mind, due.  I made a note to make sure I watched out for that going forward.

(I'm getting there, I promise...)

OK, so twenty minutes later, I come back, having briefed my people, and the gunny wants to walk me through the new path-of travel for my folks coming in.

He shows me on a map where we will push people, gather, and then further transport.
It looks ok to me and keeps us well outside the area of the gym.  He then knocks me back a second time.

"So this will work for you, Sir?"

"Yes, absolutely."

"Can I have your hand on that, Sir?"

We shook hands, I couldn't believe it.

I will go to my grave believing that any time a Marine Gunnery Sergeant asks for a handshake agreement from an officer - that pact is as strong as the Constitution itself.  Whew.  I will literally never forget that moment.

OK, so just as we start down the street, Marines all around me start saluting, and I have no idea where its coming from!  Like I was looking for a sniper, I start scanning the area, but all I see is a black Ford Explorer w/ tinted windows.

It pulls over in front of the Sgt and I, and out comes a Marine Major, in full olive digi-camo, looking like something right out of a movie - his shiny oak leaf almost blinding in the setting sun.

OK, here goes, get it right, this guy knows and is real serious right about now.

I stiffen my back, snap the sharpest salute my arm can handle, and...

<<*SPROINK*>>

The garter on the back of my right leg snaps loose and pops out of the back of my pants, still attached to my sock.

Oh, man, you've got to be kidding.

The good Major returns my salute, and either doesn't notice, or pretends not to.
He's got bigger fish to fry, anyway as he hands some radio gear to the gunny.
I try to discreetly tuck the garter into my sock as they talk.

Some pleasantries are exchanged, and he gets a quick idea who / why I am and
he's all set to go. 

Outbound salute on the pad.  One more chance to get it right...

"Good Evening, Sir.  Good luck tonight, if we can be of any further service, please let me know."

Stiffen, salute...

<<*SPROINK*>>

Left rear clicks as it hits the ground.

((*sigh*))

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I wear them in CAP, Military and for work.  Went to my first encampment in 1987 and my  flight commander, who stood 10 feet tall and weighed 350 lbs, told us that "squared away cadets wear shirt garters".  Well then, of course I had to go get them.
Serving since 1987.

♠SARKID♠

I stopped wearing them a while back.  The style I have a really hard to keep attached to the sock.

Stonewall

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 29, 2007, 02:33:47 PM
The style I have a really hard to keep attached to the sock.

Could be the sock.  I ran into that problem when I wore thicker socks, almost boot-type socks.  Then I switched to dress socks and didn't have a problem.

I wear and have always worn the 4 individual garters vs the "Y" style where there's only 2. 
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

Quote from: Stonewall on December 29, 2007, 01:37:03 PM
I wear them in CAP, Military and for work.  Went to my first encampment in 1987 and my  flight commander, who stood 10 feet tall and weighed 350 lbs, told us that "squared away cadets wear shirt garters".  Well then, of course I had to go get them.

I had the same exeperince....but his name was TSgt Begin and he wore a USAF smokey bear hat, ate ground glass and spat fire!  ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Short Field

ditto with TSgt Ryder - who specialized in putting large airmen in small lockers when things were not squared away properly.

Four garters work great keeping your shirt squared away when you are up and down in front of a group of people all day.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

star1151

Quote from: Short Field on December 30, 2007, 02:42:41 AM
Four garters work great keeping your shirt squared away when you are up and down in front of a group of people all day.

But isn't that incredibly uncomfortable?

Eeyore

Quote from: star1151 on December 31, 2007, 03:36:24 AM

I wear the 4 garter type and it isn't very uncomfortable at all. You just have to wrap them and cross them around the outside of your leg (back of sock running to front of shirt, front of sock running to back of shirt). This prevents any snapping in bad places should they every come loose, although that thankfully has never happened to me. The only time I ever have any discomfort is when the elastic pulls on the leg hairs.

RogueLeader

Quote from: edmo1 on December 31, 2007, 03:49:18 AM

The only time I ever have any discomfort is when the elastic pulls on the leg hairs.

Shave.  8)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 31, 2007, 04:26:35 AM
Quote from: edmo1 on December 31, 2007, 03:49:18 AM

The only time I ever have any discomfort is when the elastic pulls on the leg hairs.

Shave.  8)

There is Somthing wrong in your head.......

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: star1151 on December 31, 2007, 03:36:24 AM

I use 4 all the time.  2 in the back go straight down the back of my legs to my socks, the two on the 2 and 10 positions of my shirt go straight down as well.  Only have had 2 inadvertant misfires of my garters.....

Now zipper repair 10 minutes before wing formation is another topic.......

mikeylikey

No never wore them.  I just pull the belt really tight and the shirt stays in.  Actually they sell these little pads that hang on to shirt tails and your boxer or boxer briefs or tighty-wighties and keep the shirt in.  Let me find a linky for you all.  Stand by!
What's up monkeys?

adamblank

One trick I use is just to take the blues shirt to the tailor and have it tapered.  It gives about the same result without any of the discomfort.
Adam Brandao

star1151

Doesn't a plain old belt keep your shirt tucked in?

Ned

I have accompanied groups of cadets to the US Supreme Court.

All visitors pass through metal detectors, and cadets in service dress normally wear enough metallic bling to set off the walk through detector.  Just like the airport, the next step is having the cop use a metal-detecting wand.

It is thoroughly amusing to watch a cadet wearing multiple shirt garters try to explain to the police why there is metal under his trousers at the mid-thigh level.

"Son, you're wearing WHAT?   :D   Hey, Sergeant, you gotta come see this!"

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student