Main Menu

Safety vests

Started by vmstan, June 08, 2010, 09:06:13 PM

vmstan

http://www.natcapwg.cap.gov/abovethecapital/2010/06/safety-vests

Seems the regs on safety vets are going to become pretty strict because of federal law.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Spaceman3750

The USDOT requirement for ANSI Class 2/3 wear near roadways  has been in force for awhile I believe. I'm surprised it's taken NHQ this long to formalize what type of vest we are to wear.

Eclipse

They really haven't changed anything other than commenting that yellow is required by law in some places, otherwise, status quo.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

^^^^
Actually, Bob, the way I read it is that you may wear orange or yellow and NOT that it is required in some areas.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

lordmonar

Reading that makes me feel that we need to require all members ES qualified or not to have a Class 2 vest.

This at least means they have them available when the need arrises (especially Cadet and Cadet Progra types).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on June 08, 2010, 11:36:38 PM
^^^^
Actually, Bob, the way I read it is that you may wear orange or yellow and NOT that it is required in some areas.

Yellow is required when in proximity to a roadway as stated, otherwise color is optional, though in hunting areas its should be orange.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Down here it's usually the same thing. Roadways and hunting areas that is.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

lordmonar

The ANSI standard states three different colors....and suggests you pick the one that provides best contrast.....now local/state/counties may specify a specific color.

The requirment has been there for a while...but the interpetation of the law has been a little weird.  DOT has been pushing more and more "workers" into the requirment.  I read a web article from 2008 that was saying that photo jourlists have been forced to fall into this catagory.

I am getting the felling that it is DOT that is getting more strict in their interpetation of "highway workers".  This is not just the road crews, and survors....but also the clean up guys, new people and now CAP members who may be "working" along federal roads.

All and all I like it.

I would suggest that CAP go a bit futher by specifing the color and maybe even getting Vanguard to have a supply of "approved" vests in stock so we can present a unified front.

Now if we can just get everyone to remember to put on the vest AFTER they put on their LBVs.....it might actually do some good!  :D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

The requirement that all vests have reflective striping is also new.

Hopefully this will also fix the issue we have with members forgoing a vest in favor of an arm band.  The text is clear it must be a vest.

I'm going to add some retro-striping to the vest I reviewed a couple months ago, and I always carry a bright yellow one as well, so no biggie.

"That Others May Zoom"

necigrad

It's State law here in NV that you must wear a vest if you're on a highway working in any capacity.  Road crews, tow drivers, fire and police all must wear them.  I'm not saying they do, but it IS the law.  I spend time directing traffic and with a FEW exceptions I can't imagine doing it without a vest.  They won't stop a car, but it really might just save your life, I'm a FIRM believer.
Daniel B. Skorynko, Capt, CAP
Nellis Senior Squadron

Earhart1971

Home Depot sold me vests at the wrong price. I ended up buying $30 vests for 9. They let me have them for the low price anyway, after I told them what it was for, CAP Cadets.

I thought that was nice of them.

Thom

This change has been a long time coming.  I'm a little surprised it took CAP this long to acknowledge the OSHA/MUTCD/FHWA requirements, but here we are.

I've posted about this before, but I'll reiterate:  When purchasing be sure that the vests you look at are really ANSI 107 Class II (or III) compliant.  There are lots of cheap vests that will say 'reflective for use on roads' and such, but if they don't say ANSI 107-2004 (or 107-2010) Class II or Class III, then they aren't legal on the roadways.

I'll note here that there is a separate standard, ANSI 207-2006 which is for use by public sector folks, specifically: Law Enforcement, Fire Dept., First Responders (EMS), and DOT officials.  I don't believe CAP qualifies for wear of any of these under Federal guidelines.

I'll also recommend that whether you are purchasing a vest with an Orange or Lime-Yellow background color, that you get one with contrasting stripes of the other color.

I've been working quite a bit along roads the last year or so and I've developed a very clear opinion: Orange vests with Lime-Yellow stripes (or Lime-Yellow vests with Orange stripes) are visible MUCH farther away and draw your attention significantly better than solid Orange or solid Lime-Yellow vests.  I'll add my OPINION that the Orange background vests with Lime-Yellow contrast stripes are overall better than the Lime background vests, even in the highway environment, and certainly once you go into the woods.  Just my 2 cents on that issue.  The legal guidance remains to pick the base vest color to achieve the best contrast with your environment.

Some examples:

And, if you really want to be seen:

So, in summation, I highly recommend that you research before you buy and make sure you get the best vest for your needs that also keeps everyone legal.

Thom

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Marshalus on June 08, 2010, 09:06:13 PM

Seems the regs on safety vets are going to become pretty strict because of federal law.

While I think this is a good idea, I'm hesitant to spend what could be some serious $ based on a Wing blog post about an in the works policy change to be included in a future regulation revision. I think I'll wait for a least the ICL. ;D

So does anyone know if the orange vests with the CAP seal in the reflective stripe makes this standard?

davidsinn

Quote from: phirons on June 09, 2010, 01:43:03 PM

While I think this is a good idea, I'm hesitant to spend what could be some serious $ based on a Wing blog post about an in the works policy change to be included in a future regulation revision. I think I'll wait for a least the ICL. ;D

So does anyone know if the orange vests with the CAP seal in the reflective stripe makes this standard?

It's mentioned in the safety newsletter too. You should go ahead and get one just because it's a good idea.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: davidsinn on June 09, 2010, 01:48:39 PM
Quote from: phirons on June 09, 2010, 01:43:03 PM

It's mentioned in the safety newsletter too. You should go ahead and get one just because it's a good idea.

I have a vest. See above question.

The knowledge base article quotes the Safety Newsletter. Neither is a regulation, manual or ICL.
For all we know the requirement could be made to class III when it all shakes out.
I'll stick with the CAP orange vest until an actual policy is released

wacapgh

"Ref: Safety Beacon  June 2010, Vol 1. No. 1
Safety vests rules have changed. A policy change has been made and a copy of the revised CAPR 62-1 will be out in print for member comment soon. Please note that the requirements of CAPM 39-1 have been superseded."

How can you "superseed" a manual/regulation that begins "COMPLIANCE WITH
THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. Any variation from this publication is not authorized.
Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear."?

???

davidsinn

Quote from: wacapgh on June 09, 2010, 06:26:33 PM
Safety vests rules have changed. A policy change has been made and a copy of the revised CAPR 62-1 will be out in print for member comment soon. Please note that the requirements of CAPM 39-1 have been superseded."

THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. Any variation from this publication is not authorized.

???

With an ICL. This is one of the few places I would support an ICL because it is safety and is actually something that will make a difference and is not just a feel good check box.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

isuhawkeye

It is interesting to see how this forum changes its opinions on things.  Here are a few previous threads that addressed the safety vest requirments. 

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=3561.msg68403#msg68403

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=6251.0

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=3325.0

RiverAux

Quote from: davidsinn on June 09, 2010, 06:31:23 PM
Quote from: wacapgh on June 09, 2010, 06:26:33 PM

???

With an ICL. This is one of the few places I would support an ICL because it is safety and is actually something that will make a difference and is not just a feel good check box.
Exactly, which is why it shouldn't have been put in the newsletter or been distributed out to the membership without an approved ICL being in place first.