Winter flight boots & gloves

Started by Pylon, February 23, 2008, 06:49:55 PM

Pylon

Okay, I'm looking to upgrade to good pair of winter flight boots.  Winter up in these parts can be fairly cold and always with a good dose of snow.  Besides the cockpit not being as cozy as a fireside chair, one will spend a good amount of time outside the aircraft or FBO (self-serve fuel station, pre-flight, etc.).

Do any fliers here have any preferred flight boots that work great for them in winter?

Also, what winter gloves do you all use for flying?  Thanks!   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

IceNine

I haven't used anything for CAP yet

But, for my PPL training I wear my insulated Bates Boots and some nice winter boot socks.

The boots fit the regs, look good with any uniform and above all wear like a glove after the initial wear in period.  The only thing I did extra was upgrade my insoles I went to the redwing store and bought their chiropractic "heat and wear" insoles that you put in the oven for 15 minutes and then wear them so they conform to your feet for more comfort.

Linky

Not the insulated one's but exact same boot otherwise
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

NIN

I snagged a set of Rockys for Winter Hawk Mtn in 2002 from the Sportsman's Guide for about $60. They're like 200gram Thinsulate and they work like a bloody champ. They're black, speedlace, and they look just like regular flight boots, pretty much.

I've had 'em resoled once, and will continue to do so until the leather gives out, thats how much I love 'em.

EDIT:

Similar to these:
http://www.rockyboots.com/Products/details.aspx?productId=4487&lehighproductId=1600FQ0005066&PageNo=3&CatId=107&subCatId=108
or these
http://www.rockyboots.com/Products/details.aspx?productId=4907&lehighproductId=1600FQ01950-1&PageNo=4&CatId=107&subCatId=108
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ricecakecm

I always prefer a heated hangar to do my preflight in as well as full service fueling.  But I'm a lazy corporate pilot.