Main Menu

Field Gear

Started by Capt M. Sherrod, January 04, 2008, 07:44:40 PM

Capt M. Sherrod

I would like to see what sites folks have found to get their field gear from.

Some of the sites that I have found / used are

www.actiongear.com

www.ferno.com

www.gear911.com

www.vtarmynavy.com

www.armysurpluswarehouse.com

What sites do you recommend for price / service / ease of use?  Taken one step farther, what gear did you get from this merchant?
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

JayT

Quote from: 1st Lt M. Sherrod on January 04, 2008, 07:44:40 PM
I would like to see what sites folks have found to get their field gear from.

Some of the sites that I have found / used are

www.actiongear.com

www.ferno.com

www.gear911.com

www.vtarmynavy.com

www.armysurpluswarehouse.com

What sites do you recommend for price / service / ease of use?  Taken one step farther, what gear did you get from this merchant?

Except for my two Camelbaks, all of my stuff came from local surplus stores. My BFM came from Camelbak directly, and my smaller one was a gift from a friend at the Naval Academy.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Stonewall

Quote from: 1st Lt M. Sherrod on January 04, 2008, 07:44:40 PM
www.actiongear.com

I am highly loyal to Brigade Quartermaster.  First, they were the first gear place I ever ordered anything from back in 1987 when I first joined as a cadet.  The item I ordered didn't fit so I sent it back and they FedEx'd a new one without further cost, that was 20 years ago.

Since then, I had stuff shipped to me while deployed and again, everything was perfect and shipping was quick. 

Finally, about 1 1/2 years ago they dedicated their catalog to Homeland Security (not the egency, just in general) and had a two-pager about CAP.  They weren't even asked, they just included us.  I know because I asked.

If something was $5 cheaper elsewhere, I would still order from BQM based solely on my experience with them.  Loyal to me, I'll be loyal to you.
Serving since 1987.

Walkman

I got a great deal on my combat boots from Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/). They shipped quickly. They've got a lot of odd-ball collectible military surplus as well.

I just bought 550 cord from RangerJoes.com. I haven't gotten the order yet, so I can't comment on the service.

Michael

For those that use backpacks for day gear...

Any good brands for suggestion?   ???
Bill Coons, C/Capt

Walkman

Quote from: MikeTA on January 13, 2008, 02:00:16 AM
For those that use backpacks for day gear...

Any good brands for suggestion?   ???

Get an ALICE pack. Medium size would work well for most SAR & camping needs. Durable as all get out and relatively inexpensive.

JRChristenson

I have gotten cheap MOLLE gear from www.cheaperthandirt.com

So far, for CAP ground team use I am quite satisfied... It's obviously not the kind of stuff I'd use daily in combat, but as 24hour gear that's only used maybe a dozen times a year I have no complaints.
Jonathan Christenson, 1st Lt, CAP
Springfield Regional Composite Squadron NCR-MO-070

DC

I have gotten most of my field gear through my local surplus store, most of it was made by Rothco. It is all of acceptable quality, nothing has broken in the 2 1/2 years I've had it. Some of the people in my squadron ordered from www.cheaperthandirt.com and their gear seems to be decent, and it was pretty inexpensive.

Thor

X2 on Brigade Quartermasters. Probably the best all around place I've bought gear from.
"If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."
-Chuck Norris doesn't request clearances, he states intentions.
"We're not on the wrong f***ing mountain!!!!"

Michael

Bill Coons, C/Capt

bricktonfire

go to www.USCAV.com the site has a wide selection of gear

Stonewall

Quote from: Thor on January 18, 2008, 02:25:08 PM
X2 on Brigade Quartermasters. Probably the best all around place I've bought gear from.

Over the past 2 weeks, I've ordered from BQM 3 times.  I'd order something and forget about something else I wanted.  I got a call from BQM asking if I meant to place 3 separate orders.  I told them I kept forgetting I needed something else.  They combined the orders to save me on shipping.  They didn't have to do that.
Serving since 1987.

teesquared

Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

SarDragon

eBay is OK, but there's always the problem of bidding up to your spending limit, and thenn getting outbid. I got a blue flight suit that way, but it took me five months on four or five auctions to do it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on January 27, 2008, 02:03:10 PM

Over the past 2 weeks, I've ordered from BQM 3 times.  I'd order something and forget about something else I wanted.  I got a call from BQM asking if I meant to place 3 separate orders.  I told them I kept forgetting I needed something else.  They combined the orders to save me on shipping.  They didn't have to do that.

Did you order through the online AAFES "MALL"??  I think you save 10-15 percent that way!  PLUS you get Free Shipping! 
What's up monkeys?

floridacyclist

Quote from: SarDragon on January 28, 2008, 01:25:49 AM
eBay is OK, but there's always the problem of bidding up to your spending limit, and thenn getting outbid. I got a blue flight suit that way, but it took me five months on four or five auctions to do it.
Try http://www.esnipe.com

Keeps you out of the bidding wars. I do not have an ethical issue with it; if someone is wiling to spend more then they should list that higher amount as their max bid the first time around rather than waiting to see what others bid. Unwillingness to commit might lose them the auction, but that is their choice.

You can also set it up with multiple auctions in a group and it will cancel the rest of the group as soon as one of the auctions is won.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Michael

Bradley's Military in Watertown, NY seems to be a good place for gear, if you're ever in that outrageously cold neighborhood on Route 11.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

teesquared

Quote from: SarDragon on January 28, 2008, 01:25:49 AM

I just bid the max amount I am willing to spend on that item. If some other bloke wants to outbid me, fine, let him overpay.  Patience and persistence are the key.
Bargains are like busses - if you miss one it's OK, there'll be another one along soon.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

Michael

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 28, 2008, 03:12:17 AM

Did you order through the online AAFES "MALL"??  I think you save 10-15 percent that way!  PLUS you get Free Shipping! 

Would a CAP member who's not in the military be able to use that option?
Bill Coons, C/Capt

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: MikeTA on January 30, 2008, 03:40:37 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on January 28, 2008, 03:12:17 AM

Would a CAP member who's not in the military be able to use that option?

No, sorry, you have to have AAFES online access. However if you know someone who does have AAFES access...  ;D
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP