Carrier wave only ELT signal

Started by jeders, October 22, 2007, 10:56:39 PM

jeders

So I know that this has been discussed lots of times before in the context of getting a weird ELT signal, but here's what I'm wondering. How many, percentage wise, of the ELT missions you've been on was the ELT only transmitting a carrier wave signal without the actual pulse signal?

I've been GT qualified for 6.5 yrs now but have only been on a handful of actual missions and so far about a third of them the ELT signal we picked up was carrier signal only. So I'm wondering if this is common or are ELTs in Texas just messed up.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

More common than it should be, although around these parts its been the same aircraft about 4 times this year.

"That Others May Zoom"

isuhawkeye

My experience 10-20% are carrier only

SarDragon

Yeah, about 15% or so. And half the ones I've chased have been on 243.0. You can imagine where those ended up being found.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

I've been only one where all we could get was the carrier and even that we were starting to loose.  Since we're on the Coast we determined it must be an EPIRB, and since no boat was missing when our IC got in touch with AFRCC we all mutually agreed that it was a faulty unit and it's batteries must be dieing as it had been going off since earlier in the day and by this time it was about 10PM.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Larry Mangum

Probably around 15% are carrier only. I have seen carriers that were emitted from Big Screen TV's, Cell Towers and my favorite the jumbotrons at a state fair.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: wawgcap on October 23, 2007, 03:34:31 PM
Probably around 15% are carrier only. I have seen carriers that were emitted from Big Screen TV's, Cell Towers and my favorite the jumbotrons at a state fair.

...jumbotrons?  That must have been interesting...

"Sir, I believe your jumbotron is in distress."  :D

jimmydeanno

"Sir, would you please remove the tinfoil from your head and wrap it around your television please?" 

I had a mission where this guys television was putting out a carrier wave only.  It was funny, we knocked on the door, he shut of the TV before he answered.  We were talking to him and not looking at the L-per. 

"No, I don't have an EMP," he said.

We look at the L-Per, no signal. 

"OK" we say and start walking to the van.

He goes inside and turns his TV back on - signal comes back. (we hadn't associated the signal to the TV yet.)  So we walked back down his path and knocked on the door again, this time we continue looking at the L-Per and sure enough, he shuts the TV off, signal goes away...

"Sir, we believe that our signal is coming from your television..."

"What, like a subliminal message?"

see comment above...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 23, 2007, 07:36:51 PM

"Sir, would you please remove the tinfoil from your head and wrap it around your television please?" 

I had a mission where this guys television was putting out a carrier wave only.  It was funny, we knocked on the door, he shut of the TV before he answered.  We were talking to him and not looking at the L-per. 

"No, I don't have an EMP," he said.

We look at the L-Per, no signal. 

"OK" we say and start walking to the van.

He goes inside and turns his TV back on - signal comes back. (we hadn't associated the signal to the TV yet.)  So we walked back down his path and knocked on the door again, this time we continue looking at the L-Per and sure enough, he shuts the TV off, signal goes away...

"Sir, we believe that our signal is coming from your television..."

"What, like a subliminal message?"

see comment above...

Man are people stupid. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Matt

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 23, 2007, 06:51:30 PM

No worse than the Simpsons Game at Chocolate Fest in the early '90s
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Matt on October 23, 2007, 09:31:26 PM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 23, 2007, 06:51:30 PM

No worse than the Simpsons Game at Chocolate Fest in the early '90s

LMAO, I love that story!

ELTHunter

I've been out twice....both times in the middle of the night....to chase a carrier tone that ended up being emitted from a FAA radar site on a fairly remote mountain top.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer