Main Menu

Squadron Transfer

Started by CAPed Crusader, November 06, 2018, 10:42:07 PM

CAPed Crusader

Hello,
I need to switch squadrons for moving reasons. How do I do this? Do I tell my current unit Commander first, or the squardon I am going to? And what is the process? Do I need to fill out paperwork? How do I update eServices?

V/R
DeRosa

BraveRifles19D

Gaining commander initiates the transfer, but I would tell your current commander first.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Color Guard Rifleman

Inform them that you're moving and would like to transfer squadrons (since you are moving they will most likely approve it). Then find out which squadron is the closest to where you are moving so your new squadron commander can start the paperwork. It should then in progress until your current commander approves it. I would notify the squadron that you are moving to that you will be transferring there after you get your commander's approval. Both commanders will have approve it.
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

BraveRifles19D

Is it another local squadron? Or are you moving away? And have you contacted the squadron that you want to transfer to?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

tkelley004

Show up to your new unit, they transfer you in, your old unit commander has 60 days to reject it so I would let them know your moving. The reject allows a losing commander to keep someone who may be running from adverse action by switching units

Your commander or Personnel Officer signs into services, selects Personnel, then Membership System, then transfer. They type in your CAPID and you're in the new unit.
Tim Kelley, Lt Col, CAP
Bellingham Composite Squadron
Retired USAF SMSgt

CAPed Crusader

I'm moving to a different town, so I need a closer squadron. So if I understand correctly, correct me if I'm wrong, I will inform my unit Commander and then show up to the new unit.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: francisderosa16 on November 06, 2018, 11:08:00 PM
I'm moving to a different town, so I need a closer squadron. So if I understand correctly, correct me if I'm wrong, I will inform my unit Commander and then show up to the new unit.

Correct. Also, let both commanders that you will be transferring.
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

SarDragon

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on November 06, 2018, 10:47:07 PM
Inform them that you're moving and would like to transfer squadrons. They will either approve it or deny it. (Since you are moving they will most likely approve it). Then find out which squadron is the closest to where you are moving to so your commander can start the paperwork. It should then in progress until the squadron that you are transferring to approves it. I would notify the squadron that you are moving to that you will be transferring there after you get your commander's approval. Both commanders will have to sign the paperwork to approve it.

As noted in the post above yours, the gaining commander initiates the transfer, not the losing commander. Refer to CAPR 39-1 39-2, para. 1.11.

[corrected reference]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: SarDragon on November 06, 2018, 11:14:22 PM
Inform them that you're moving and would like to transfer squadrons. They will either approve it or deny it. (Since you are moving they will most likely approve it). Then find out which squadron is the closest to where you are moving to so your commander can start the paperwork. It should then in progress until the squadron that you are transferring to approves it. I would notify the squadron that you are moving to that you will be transferring there after you get your commander's approval. Both commanders will have to sign the paperwork to approve it.

As noted in the post above yours, the gaining commander initiates the transfer, not the losing commander. Refer to CAPR 39-1, para. 1.11.

I will fix my post
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

CAPed Crusader

. Refer to CAPR 39-1, para. 1.11.

I cannot find this in CAPR 39-1. Also, I'm pretty sure CAPR 39-1 is for uniforms. Is there another regultion I can find this in?

CAPed Crusader

Does this go for all squadrons, or is there a different process for each one?

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: francisderosa16 on November 07, 2018, 12:22:20 AM
Does this go for all squadrons, or is there a different process for each one?

This is the standard for ALL squadrons
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

LSThiker

Quote from: francisderosa16 on November 07, 2018, 12:19:47 AM
Refer to CAPR 39-1, para. 1.11.

I cannot find this in CAPR 39-1. Also, I'm pretty sure CAPR 39-1 is for uniforms. Is there another regultion I can find this in?

It is CAPR 39-2, para 1.11 Transfer of Membership.

Eclipse

CAPR 39-2 is the presiding regulation.

"1.11.4.1. When a member transfers to another unit, the gaining unit will normally initiate
the transfer through the online transfer application
. Once the gaining commander has approved
the transfer action the member's record will immediately be updated to reflect the new unit of
assignment. A notification of the transfer action will then appear in the losing unit commander's
online Commanders Corner. If there is any reason why the transfer is not acceptable to the losing
unit, the commander may simply deny the transfer. Losing commanders must deny the transfer
action within two months of the notification. Commanders not wishing to use the online
application may submit a CAPF 2A, Request for and Approval of Personnel Actions (Section IV,
Transfer). The personnel officer initiates the personnel action which is approved by the unit
commander and forwards the form to CAP/DP. If there is any reason why the transfer is not
acceptable to the losing unit, the losing unit commander must notify CAP/DP within two months.
The transfer will then be declared void and the member returned to the losing unit until the
problem can be resolved.

1.11.4.2. When a member transfers, the transferring member will be responsible for
ensuring his or her records are delivered to the gaining unit."

Your first step would be to visit the squadron you wish to transfer to and discuss the reasons
you want to move with the commander.

Good commanders will then contact your existing commander and discuss the issues, and insure you
are not in any disciplinary or similar status, at which point the transfer is generally approved and
then you ask for your member records from the existing unit and bring them to your first meeting.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

In another thread, you indicated that you needed to take some time away due to personal/medical issues.

If that's the case, and still applies, you should discuss this with your soon-to-be unit Commander and explain the situation so that they don't just have some random new transfer enroute who doesn't show.

If you know the unit already, now is the time to start initiating that contact with the new unit.

MSG Mac

As stated the gaining Commander will initiate the transfer. Talk to both Commanders, both losing and gaining, to let them know about the move. The prospective commander does not have to accept you, and may ask you to attend a few meeting and sit down and talk to see where you'll fit in. You are responsible for making sure the new unit gets your records-bring them with you. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

CAPed Crusader

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 07, 2018, 03:55:27 PM
In another thread, you indicated that you needed to take some time away due to personal/medical issues.

If that's the case, and still applies, you should discuss this with your soon-to-be unit Commander and explain the situation so that they don't just have some random new transfer enroute who doesn't show.

If you know the unit already, now is the time to start initiating that contact with the new unit.

Yes, I have a medical condition. Because I left school for so long to get treatment, I can't go to my unit meeting due to two reasons: I'm moving and I take tutoring [that way I still get school credits for my diploma] on the days my current unit has meetings.

Eclipse

^Totally legit reason to transfer. Contact the new CC and start the discussions.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Question asked; question answered, with appropriate references.
Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret