CAP receipient of the Air Force Organizational Excellence Award.

Started by Chappie, September 20, 2016, 04:46:37 PM

AirAux

At least we are all "uniform" when it comes to uniforms, so we will wear the ribbon/lapel pin together...  Wait, What?  Oh crap....

Shuman 14

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 22, 2016, 02:25:04 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on September 22, 2016, 01:29:48 PM
Quote from: coudano on September 21, 2016, 11:46:31 PM
So 18 year old cadet snuffy earns the AFOEA via being in CAP during the time of the cite.
He goes and enlists in the USAF.

Does he walk in to BMT with an AFOEA ready for his blues at graduation parade?

:clap:

Yes absolutely. Prior Service types continue to wear awards from their previously earned awards, the USCGAux does not have a cadet/midshipman program but an 18 year old could join and later enlist/commission into the USCG and wear any USCG/DOT/DHS awards he/she earned in the USCGAux.

I just fail to see how this is such a hard concept to grasp.

Except CAP is not prior service and does not have that type of a relationship with the USAF.  Sorry a cadet awarded this will not be able to wear it upon graduation of basic.  The BMT, NDSM, and the GWOT service (if that is still being awarded) yes but this one sadly know. 

You really need to stop trying to say what CAP and the USAF will and won't do since you have absolutely no clue about it or the admin side of things.

I've served in the military for over 26 years and been assigned to several Joint commands so I have a pretty good "general" idea of how the USAF operates in comparison to the Army, I may be lacking in specifics of the nut and bolts but it cannot be so different from the Army because if a CAP member, be it a Cadet or a Senior Member, who was a USA, USAR or ARNG member, had the proper documentation for the award it would be added to his/her personnel file and they would be authorized to wear it on their Army uniform.

I'll cite myself as the example. I have several USCG unit Awards from my USCGAux Service. All documentation was submitted thru my Army chain of command and entered into my iPERMs and HRC's "My Records" and I wear them on my Army uniform.

This will be a new process for both CAP and USAF, an unintended consequence of this award to CAP by the USAF, but it will be worked out in time, it always is.

That being said, I feel confident that it will be authorized in the near future after that work out period.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

abdsp51

Quote from: shuman14 on September 22, 2016, 04:20:01 PM
I've served in the military for over 26 years and been assigned to several Joint commands so I have a pretty good "general" idea of how the USAF operates in comparison to the Army, I may be lacking in specifics of the nut and bolts but it cannot be so different from the Army because if a CAP member, be it a Cadet or a Senior Member, who was a USA, USAR or ARNG member, had the proper documentation for the award it would be added to his/her personnel file and they would be authorized to wear it on their Army uniform.

I'll cite myself as the example. I have several USCG unit Awards from my USCGAux Service. All documentation was submitted thru my Army chain of command and entered into my iPERMs and HRC's "My Records" and I wear them on my Army uniform.

This will be a new process for both CAP and USAF, an unintended consequence of this award to CAP by the USAF, but it will be worked out in time, it always is.

That being said, I feel confident that it will be authorized in the near future after that work out period.

Awe joint service so you have no idea about the personnel functions or admin side of the AF.  Yes they are different very different. 

CAP serviceas a cadet does not count as service period.  A cadet can not be active duty period.  The AF is not going to award a cadet who enlists this award because they received it as a cadet.

You are comparing apples to oranges.  Again you have no idea how CAP functions much less the personnel/admin side of the AF.  Stick to Army things.

dlwldud

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 22, 2016, 04:40:45 PM

Awe joint service so you have no idea about the personnel functions or admin side of the AF.  Yes they are different very different. 

CAP serviceas a cadet does not count as service period.  A cadet can not be active duty period.  The AF is not going to award a cadet who enlists this award because they received it as a cadet.

You are comparing apples to oranges.  Again you have no idea how CAP functions much less the personnel/admin side of the AF.  Stick to Army things.

What about those of us in service academies or the Air Force reserves? For USAFA, we already have AFTR and NDSM. Many of us already have the AFOEA.  An oak leaf cluster possibly on our AFOEA?

MHC5096

Possibly. We'll have to wait and see how this all plays out.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

abdsp51

I have spoken to a sme on this and its opinion only, what I received was as follows:

1)  Cadets receiving this award would not be able to have it added upon enlistment.

2)  AF members who also are CAP members may be able to have it awarded and worn with documentation.

Even with ROTC not all their decs roll over to the AF side of things.  So CAP service and receipt of this award prior to enlistment would not carry over to the AF. 

Will be interesting to see if there is anything in the works at AFPC on this.

Alaric

So 18 year old cadet snuffy earns the AFOEA via being in CAP during the time of the cite.

Yes absolutely. Prior Service types continue to wear awards from their previously earned awards, the USCGAux does not have a cadet/midshipman program but an 18 year old could join and later enlist/commission into the USCG and wear any USCG/DOT/DHS awards he/she earned in the USCGAux.

Except CAP is not prior service and does not have that type of a relationship with the USAF.  Sorry a cadet awarded this will not be able to wear it upon graduation of basic.  The BMT, NDSM, and the GWOT service (if that is still being awarded) yes but this one sadly know. 

You really need to stop trying to say what CAP and the USAF will and won't do since you have absolutely no clue about it or the admin side of things.

Or they will decide that feeding the need for "bling" of their sometime civilian auxiliary is not worth it, and it will be a nice thing for NHQ to mention in press releases.  As I've said before if we spent a portion of the effort we spend arguing about uniforms, or seeking out more bling to wear actually getting out there in the community and performing missions, we would be an actual force to be reckoned with

THRAWN

Quote from: Alaric on September 22, 2016, 05:20:58 PM

Or they will decide that feeding the need for "bling" of their sometime civilian auxiliary is not worth it, and it will be a nice thing for NHQ to mention in press releases.  As I've said before if we spent a portion of the effort we spend arguing about uniforms, or seeking out more bling to wear actually getting out there in the community and performing missions, we would be an actual force to be reckoned with

Alaric for President.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Missions? What missions? I'm here to look good on parade day!

flyboy53

The AFOEA was awarded to the organization not CAP-USAF...watch the ceremony.

Imagine that, CAP members get their first very real Air Force ribbon.

I earned two AFOEAs during my AF Career. It goes to un-numbered organizations that are recognized by the Air Force. It is NOT something just given away and NEVER take this recognition lightly!

Face it, there would have been a nomination package submitted through channels and approved at various levels of command authority for this very important award. It would be interesting to see the package. It will also be interesting to see the orders when they are published.

I suspect NHQ will forward the orders along with appropriate guidance when the time comes.

By the way, uniformed Air Force members get both the ribbon and the lapel pin...at least I did. That fact was reinforced when I requested replacements of medals from the National Personnel Records Center.

Stop quibbling about the details and give yourself a very well deserved pat on the back.

From my own perspective, it pretty strongly shows a shift in the Air Force's perception of the CAP that has been occurring so dramatically in the last two to three years.

PHall

Quote from: flyboy53 on September 22, 2016, 06:47:42 PM
The AFOEA was awarded to the organization not CAP-USAF...watch the ceremony.

Imagine that, CAP members get their first very real Air Force ribbon.

I earned two AFOEAs during my AF Career. It goes to un-numbered organizations that are recognized by the Air Force. It is NOT something just given away and NEVER take this recognition lightly!

Face it, there would have been a nomination package submitted through channels and approved at various levels of command authority for this very important award. It would be interesting to see the package. It will also be interesting to see the orders when they are published.

I suspect NHQ will forward the orders along with appropriate guidance when the time comes.

By the way, uniformed Air Force members get both the ribbon and the lapel pin...at least I did. That fact was reinforced when I requested replacements of medals from the National Personnel Records Center.

Stop quibbling about the details and give yourself a very well deserved pat on the back.

From my own perspective, it pretty strongly shows a shift in the Air Force's perception of the CAP that has been occurring so dramatically in the last two to three years.

Actually, AFOEA's and AFOUA's are not that hard to get. Mostly depends on the quality of the word smithing when putting together the package.
My Airlift Squadron got 5 AFOUA's over a 12 year period. And we weren't doing anything much different then any other squadron flying C-141's.
But we did have a kickass Squadron Exec who was an English Major and in her day job she was an English Teacher.

Alaric

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on September 22, 2016, 05:59:46 PM

Work harder then, you have yet to succeed in that mission

SarDragon

As an example, WIWAC, all of Northeast Region was awarded the Unit Commendation Award. The entire region, not just the HQ. To this day, I have no idea of what the circumstances were. And no idea what my contribution might have been, if any.

Sent from my phone.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RRLE

Quote from: shuman14 on September 22, 2016, 01:39:46 PMI cannot answer that question but the ENTIRE Coast Guard received a Presidential Unit Citation on 13 September 2005:

https://www.uscg.mil/auxiliary/awards/PUC_citation0506.pdf

And I quote the last line of the citation before the signature block:

QuoteAll Coast Guard members are authorized to wear the Presidential Unit Citation ribbon with a special clasp in the form of the internationally recognized "hurricane symbol".
(emphasis mine)

All is all.  ;)

Inside the citation is the example and/or definition of "all"

QuoteThis inspiring response is a direct result of the spirit and practice of operational initiative, positive leadership and courage of the total Coast Guard force of active duty, reserve, auxiliary and civilian members.

So if "all is all", then even the CAP civilian employees should be getting the award.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Alaric on September 22, 2016, 08:01:55 PM
Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on September 22, 2016, 05:59:46 PM

Work harder then, you have yet to succeed in that mission

Chappie

Thus far all this discussion on the AFOEA -- will or won't we wear it -- is making my head ache and spin. 

From my perspective, it is a wonderful honor and a privilege to serve as a volunteer in the CAP-USAF Auxiliary, an organization that for the past 75 years has served the citizens of our nation with great dedication and distinction.  Any recognition by Congress (CGM) or the USAF (OEA) is nice..."attaboys" are always appreciated and welcomed -- but our service should speak for itself.   "Semper Vigilans"
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

MSG Mac

What's the big deal, the SECAF and Chief of Staff recognized CAP with an award that recognizes our contributions to the Air Force and the communities we serve.

CAPM 39-1.11(1) states that "  Federal awards awarded by competent authority may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with instructions contained in AFI 36-2903. ..."

If the Secretary of the Air Force isn't considered competent authority, I don't know who is. Wear the darn thing, because when I next configure my ribbon rack, the AFOEA will be added.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Holding Pattern

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 22, 2016, 09:54:46 PM
What's the big deal, the SECAF and Chief of Staff recognized CAP with an award that recognizes our contributions to the Air Force and the communities we serve.

CAPM 39-1.11(1) states that "  Federal awards awarded by competent authority may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with instructions contained in AFI 36-2903. ..."

If the Secretary of the Air Force isn't considered competent authority, I don't know who is. Wear the darn thing, because when I next configure my ribbon rack, the AFOEA will be added.

Just do the smart thing and ignore the captalk angst and wait for wear instructions.

Fubar

Quote from: lordmonar on September 22, 2016, 10:11:59 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on September 21, 2016, 09:38:50 PM
Is there still that discrepancy between the CAP uniform and award regs where one says that you can wear US awards authorized by a competent authority and the other one says that they must have been earned while in service?
Easy to fix.

You and I have different definitions of the word easy.

flyboy53

Quote from: Fubar on September 23, 2016, 04:06:49 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on September 22, 2016, 10:11:59 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on September 21, 2016, 09:38:50 PM
Is there still that discrepancy between the CAP uniform and award regs where one says that you can wear US awards authorized by a competent authority and the other one says that they must have been earned while in service?
Easy to fix.

You and I have different definitions of the word easy.

That's not a discrepancy. It is a change in Air Force policy. It used to be in the Air Force that you could wear a unit award granted the unit/organization during it's history. Without quoting the appropriate regulations, sometime about the late 1970s, the policy changed where you could only wear a unit award if you were a member of the unit when it was awarded. So, for example, I earned six AFOUAs and two AFOEAs during my Air Force career. One of my former units, what is now the 21st Space Wing, earned a PUC in WW II and 13 AFOUAs when it was a composite wing/tactical fighter wing assigned to the Alaskan  Air Command. I was assigned to the wing when  two of the AFOUAs were awarded so two of the awards to my credit are from this wing.

If you had left the unit and learned later that your former unit had earned a unit award, you simply went to military personnel with the documentation and your records would be updated. Veterans do that now by submitting a DD Form 149 correction of military records and are issued a DD Form 215 with the change.

That is why for the CAP this is a really big deal and people should be really proud of the accomplishment. It may never happen again -- especially with the hair splitting that has been going on.

I wrote the AFOUA nomination for what is now the 910th Airlift Wing. It was the first one the unit was awarded and I (then a Public Affairs type) was personally selected by the wing commander because of my success in writing decoration nominations. The previous AFOUA packages assembled by the military personnel and operations guys up to that time were always shot down, so I can tell you from experience the process for this award wasn't as simple or easy as some on this website have described. That's why I would like to see the nomination package and I hope it's shared to the field because it will be a model for future CAP or unit award nominations.

Something to note here is that this AFOEA was presented at an AFA event. That means it was done, as we used to say, out of cycle -- or the traditional process. I was a member of the 439th Military Airlift Wing when this wing was presented an AFOUA upon de-mobilization from Desert Storm. In that situation, the Under Secretary of the Air Force flew to Westover with a citation and certificate that was "still wet" and the orders didn't follow for more than a month. What to watch for now is if NHQ will share images of the award certificate and citation -- which will no doubt go on display at NHQ. There should be orders distributed to the field for personnel files and to determine who at unit level is eligible to wear the award. Given that things like cadet and senior milestone awards are listed in e-services, I would wonder if NHQ will simply update  everyone's records electronically or if the orders will be forwarded to the field and the appropriate additions made to personnel files.

And yes, if a cadet goes on to serve in the Air Force, does he or she take this award with them, the answer is yes. They would be entitled to continue wearing it, but I suspect that recognition will not formally transfer until they get to their first permanent base. It is, after all, the decision of an Air Force unit commander or the awards and decorations people at military personnel, and not the hair-splitting of CAP members on this website.