Main Menu

NCO Stripes

Started by winterg, April 04, 2015, 05:22:36 AM

winterg

Completely unrelated to anything important.  I was purchasing a few needed items on Vanguard (does anyone else not like the new format there?) and I happened across the new Senior Member NCO stripes for sale.  One of the things that has bugged me since the designs were released was the spindly looking props in the center and the "CAP" in the field above.  Wouldn't a bold CAP image have served us much better?  Not to mention keeping the basic outlines the same as Ma Blue.  Take this comment for the late night rant that it is.

Майор Хаткевич

BTDT, has the same ms paint designs.

Storm Chaser

I understand CAP was added to the chevrons in order to get rid of the CAP cutouts previously worn on the uniform by CAP NCOs. That said, I agree that the full color CAP triangle looks better and would've been more distinctive than the white propellers.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 05, 2015, 03:25:37 PM
I understand CAP was added to the chevrons in order to get rid of the CAP cutouts previously worn on the uniform by CAP NCOs. That said, I agree that the full color CAP triangle looks better and would've been more distinctive than the white propellers.

Does this mean that SMs who are NCOs wear the AF's U.S. in a circle on the service coat lapels now?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

SarDragon

Yer killin' me, Jack.  ::)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

"Distinctive at a distance and/or in low light."

Storm Chaser

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 05, 2015, 07:27:18 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 05, 2015, 03:25:37 PM

Does this mean that SMs who are NCOs wear the AF's U.S. in a circle on the service coat lapels now?

Jack

Yes, but even better, they no longer have to wear CAP cutouts with the service uniform or BDU.

supertigerCH

sounds like a pretty good trade off. 

have to take my hat off (to CAP) on this one.

ZigZag911

Also, the design matches up with "CAP" on our officers' shoulder marks...they did good on this one.

Shuman 14

So instead of wearing a Circle C.A.P. lapel device, you now wear a Circle U.S. lapel device and have odd looking stripes with embroidered CAP on them.

How is that "good"?  ???

Would have been better to keep the Circle C.A.P. and use the red prop in white circle stripes... distinctive, low-light visible and professional looking.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Storm Chaser

Quote from: shuman14 on April 20, 2015, 12:06:27 PM
So instead of wearing a Circle C.A.P. lapel device, you now wear a Circle U.S. lapel device and have odd looking stripes with embroidered CAP on them.

How is that "good"?  ???

Would have been better to keep the Circle C.A.P. and use the red prop in white circle stripes... distinctive, low-light visible and professional looking.

My dear Patron friend, CAP NCOs had to wear CAP cutouts not only on the service dress uniform, but on the service uniform and BDU shirts, something their Air Force counterpart don't have to do. The new insignias are more inline with CAP officers by adding the embroidered CAP to it (at least when worn on the service uniforms) and with Air Force NCOs by removing the insignia from their shirt collars.

And by the way, how these insignias look is a matter of opinion. Some don't like them, others do.

Shuman 14

Well if you're talking subdued on BDUs, then that makes much more sense, and I see the cost savings for sewing.

I also didn't know about the pins on the light blue shirt collars either.

Still, in full color, on the shirts, if the red prop/white circle chevrons had been adopted, that surely would have been enough to comply with the distinctive and low-light visible directive.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Storm Chaser

Quote from: shuman14 on April 20, 2015, 05:26:37 PM
Well if you're talking subdued on BDUs, then that makes much more sense, and I see the cost savings for sewing.

Still, in full color, on the shirts, if the red prop/white circle chevrons had been adopted, that surely would have been enough to comply with the distinctive and low-light visible directive.

Sure, but that design didn't get adopted. And as I said before, some people don't like the current design, but others do. It's really a matter of opinion.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 21, 2015, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on April 20, 2015, 05:26:37 PM

Sure, but that design didn't get adopted. And as I said before, some people don't like the current design, but others do. It's really a matter of opinion.

When I first saw the pictures of the new stripes, I did bot like them at all.  Now, after seeing them on an actual uniform (I have two NCO's in my unit, 1 SSgt and 1 CMSgt) they look strangely decent.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

USAFRiggerGuy

Can someone post a picture of a SM NCO stripes on a BDU?  I have been searching everywhere for a picture with no luck!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Broomfield Composite Squadron
RMR-CO-099
Proud USAF Veteran (SSgt)

kwe1009

There aren't that many CAP NCOs so finding pictures might not be very easy.  I haven't seen one but if you are looking for a reference for where they are supposed to go, just look at the any picture of an Air Force enlisted person in ABUs.  They go in the same spot.  CAPM 39-1 paragraph 5.1.1.2.2 spells out the placement.  Hope that helps.

USAFRiggerGuy

Thanks for the response.  I know the placement of them.  I just wanted to see how they looked on BDUs.  I feel like the Blue on BDU for stripes might look a little tacky but I haven't seen it for myself to make a real judgment
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

LSThiker

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on May 07, 2015, 08:12:33 PM
Thanks for the response.  I know the placement of them.  I just wanted to see how they looked on BDUs.  I feel like the Blue on BDU for stripes might look a little tacky but I haven't seen it for myself to make a real judgment

Unfortunately, the only NCO that I have seen wear the white/blue stripes on the woodland BDUs was SSgt Kern Kemp at National Blue Beret.  He was from Iowa or Nebraska Wing.  He is now a captain and of course that was before the new insignia, but it would give you an idea.  You can search their websites and see if they have any pictures of him.

lordmonar

I checked last night and I don't have any photo of me in my BDUs.  I will get one posted tonight.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

USAFRiggerGuy

Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099