Main Menu

Aircrew Wings

Started by Billy009, July 02, 2014, 07:57:42 PM

vento

Quote from: lordmonar on July 06, 2014, 05:59:58 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on July 06, 2014, 01:29:03 PM
The Aircrew Wings "should" be easier for cadets to earn than Observer Wings?

Yes.....because it is easy to earn for anyone.

If the cadet is 18 years old or older.

BSH

Which of the Air Crew positions is the most straight forward to earn?

JeffDG

Quote from: BSH on July 07, 2014, 06:00:15 PM
Mission Scanner.

It's a prerequisite for all the others.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on July 07, 2014, 06:10:07 PM
Quote from: BSH on July 07, 2014, 06:00:15 PM
Mission Scanner.

It's a prerequisite for all the others.

And unfortunately seen as just a "stepping stone" to Mission Observer.  I know quite a few Scanners who like remaining Scanners without the additional hoo-ha of what goes with being in the right seat.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

Nothing wrong with that, and call it what it is. It is a stepping stone, but it's also a place one can stay and serve.

THRAWN

Quote from: a2capt on July 07, 2014, 07:44:13 PM
Nothing wrong with that, and call it what it is. It is a stepping stone, but it's also a place one can stay and serve.

It's incorrect to call it a stepping stone. For some, it's the square hole/square peg. I knew a Scanner who could spot a dime in the woods at 1500'. Add any other tasks to her workload, and she was as hosed up as a $3 bill...She was a "victom" of the mindset that you must become a MO and couldn't stay as a MS. She got her wings, and ended up spending her time in the backseat, with very good results...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

MS is an initial and valuable qualification, no more or less then any other, it's only recently
that the AP and others have come to being, with most not really being done yet, if ever,
and the majority of the "work" in the airplane is still done from the rear seat.

I don't know why people downplay the accomplishments of others, especially by spouting 1/2-truths.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

For anyone that is curious what the full-size metal wings look like.  Basically, they are observer wings without an O in cast.

Picture attached

[attachment deleted by admin]

Al Sayre

Or Navy Aircrew wings without the anchor and made in silver vs. gold...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Panache

Quote from: LSThiker on July 07, 2014, 11:04:50 PM
For anyone that is curious what the full-size metal wings look like.  Basically, they are observer wings without an O in cast.

Still wished they could have worked the CAP tri-prop in there somewhere.

You know, make it distinctive at low light and at-a-distance.   :P

THRAWN

Quote from: Panache on July 08, 2014, 04:00:35 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on July 07, 2014, 11:04:50 PM

Still wished they could have worked the CAP tri-prop in there somewhere.

You know, make it distinctive at low light and at-a-distance.   :P

Still wish they would have used the MO slick wings as the basic aircrew, senior as MO, and master as AOBD...but alas, we're stuck with this...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Devil Doc

I wanted to become an MO for awhile, because if the role needed to be filled, I can do it. I have done a sortie or 2, and I actually dont like being in the right seat. It is cool to learn how to run Navigation and work the Glass Cockpit. I just dont like talking on the Radio (Even though im a MRO) keeping up with all of the hoo haa. Give me my Camera and I will take pictures and be happy.

I am more of a "Ground Pounder" but I learn AC stuf incase the slot needs to be filled.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

THRAWN

Quote from: Devil Doc on July 08, 2014, 11:55:34 AM
I wanted to become an MO for awhile, because if the role needed to be filled, I can do it. I have done a sortie or 2, and I actually dont like being in the right seat. It is cool to learn how to run Navigation and work the Glass Cockpit. I just dont like talking on the Radio (Even though im a MRO) keeping up with all of the hoo haa. Give me my Camera and I will take pictures and be happy.

I am more of a "Ground Pounder" but I learn AC stuf incase the slot needs to be filled.

It's a ctually good to get it if you want to get more into the mission management aspect as well. Strike that, it's required if you want to do that. Sure you can be a GBD, but you'll top out at that. Even if you don't want a management role, it's a good thing to have some perspective on what goes on with your air searchers while you're on the ground.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

GroundHawg

Quote from: THRAWN on July 08, 2014, 12:03:07 PM

It's a ctually good to get it if you want to get more into the mission management aspect as well. Strike that, it's required if you want to do that. Sure you can be a GBD, but you'll top out at that. Even if you don't want a management role, it's a good thing to have some perspective on what goes on with your air searchers while you're on the ground.

And vice versa, the pilots and aircrew should take a break from flying and do some ground work every now and again. It would be good to know the GT perspective in the air.

THRAWN

Quote from: GroundHawg on July 08, 2014, 10:04:38 PM

And vice versa, the pilots and aircrew should take a break from flying and do some ground work every now and again. It would be good to know the GT perspective in the air.

Agreed. Once upon a.time in NJ we did just that. During our GSAR Schools we would have time set aside for GTM trainees to get airborne and for the aircrews to get their boots dirty. It worked well to make well rounded ES teams.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

Quote from: THRAWN on July 08, 2014, 10:28:01 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on July 08, 2014, 10:04:38 PM

Agreed. Once upon a.time in NJ we did just that. During our GSAR Schools we would have time set aside for GTM trainees to get airborne and for the aircrews to get their boots dirty. It worked well to make well rounded ES teams.

That is what the prevailing opinion is in my unit. We are trying to get the aircrews in the van for a sortie, and any interested GTMs up in the plane, provided they are 18 and up. The younger cadets already get their flying in  ;)
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

The CyBorg is destroyed

I wish they would have revived the old "half-wing" that CAP Observers wore back in the day for Scanner.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ColonelJack

Quote from: CyBorg on July 09, 2014, 05:00:49 PM
I wish they would have revived the old "half-wing" that CAP Observers wore back in the day for Scanner.

Didn't that later become the Stewardess badge?  (I know, I know ... not politically correct.  Nowadays it would be "flight attendant.")

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Garibaldi

Airborne Service Attendant
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Panache

Aeronautical Customer Service Associate.