Main Menu

Air Crew Wings

Started by rugger1869, January 24, 2014, 09:12:00 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: KarlIceman on February 18, 2014, 03:50:45 AM
Now do the Air Crew scarves still exist?

Yes, complete with incorrect MAJCOM:
http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-scarf-flight-suit-scarf-p-16248.html

Atomic Wedgie insurance is extra.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

The chickens are running away! That thing.. LOL.
Yes, with the wrong MAJCOM, except.. the Big V hasn't sold out yet, and probably never will.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Eclipse on February 18, 2014, 03:55:03 AM

http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-scarf-flight-suit-scarf-p-16248.html

Visiting that Vanguard page, I see that they list "no product reviews."  I guess that means they didn't use the one I wrote.  (Could have been all those bad things I said about it.........nah.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

PHall

The CAP-USAF scarf is no better and no worse then the ones many Air Force units attempt to inflict on their members.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on February 18, 2014, 02:43:39 PM
The CAP-USAF scarf is no better and no worse then the ones many Air Force units attempt to inflict on their members.

And at least it has the MAJCOM shield we SHOULD have kept, along with the CAP-USAF shield, and it does not have the bloody awful triangle thingy.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

vento

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 18, 2014, 11:05:41 AM

Visiting that Vanguard page, I see that they list "no product reviews."  I guess that means they didn't use the one I wrote.  (Could have been all those bad things I said about it.........nah.)

Jack

They will only publish it if you have purchased the item you are reviewing. Unless, of course, <GASP> you've purchased that thingy!

ColonelJack

Quote from: vento on February 18, 2014, 10:21:11 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on February 18, 2014, 11:05:41 AM

Jack

They will only publish it if you have purchased the item you are reviewing. Unless, of course, <GASP> you've purchased that thingy!

No, no, a thousand times, no!  I would not purchase that incredibly non-attractive thingy!  I can find gazillions of better things to spend that money on.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Shuman 14

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

LSThiker

Quote from: shuman14 on February 19, 2014, 11:58:47 PM
CAP had a Parachutist Qualification?  :o

Funny story.  I was a C/Lt Col one year and was attending NBB.  Out of the blue, this C/Capt (do not know who it was, what wing he was from, or anything) walks up to me.  Not even introducing himself or anything, he simply states

C/Capt: You need to take those off 
Me:  Take what off?
C/Capt:  CAP does not have an parachuting school
Me:  Yeah
C/Capt:  So how would you have earned those
Me:  The U.S. Army Airborne School 

He was dazed and confused as I was walking away

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Shuman 14

Quote from: NIN on February 20, 2014, 01:54:44 AM

Yep. And jump wings.

What did the wings look like? What did the school/course consist of? What happened that caused it to close?
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

LSThiker

Quote from: shuman14 on February 20, 2014, 05:39:17 AM
What did the wings look like? What did the school/course consist of? What happened that caused it to close?

Attached is a monograph on the CAP parachutist.

BillB

When I was SER DCS Cadet Programs, there was one Wing in SER that ran a Parachute program. I "think" it was Georgia. It was a wing level Cadet Special Activity. But I don't remember any awarded bling for completing the school.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

NIN

This is a tough nut to crack, and as you can imagine I have been involved in a few of these discussions over the years.

The larger problem with that kind of a program is that in the United States most states don't allow a minor to execute an all-encompassing waiver like you have at a parachute center.  Our local legal beagles can opine more on that subject, but I believe the legal term is "minor subrogation".

So in most places, you have to be 18 years old to jump either static line or accelerated freefall. And of course, this excludes a large percentage of our cadet population.

There are still a few states that allow parachuting at 16. Florida comes to mind, as does Ohio and Oklahoma.

And of course, you have the 52-16 prohibition on parachuting as a cadet activity ( but not as a senior activity! ).

Bill, do you recall how long ago that was? I mean, you know, without dating yourself too badly. ;)

By the way, I have, let me think, at least two jumps into CAP activities, including a flag jump into an encampment graduation parade.

The only person I think I know who has made more jumps into a CAP activity is Lt Col Dave Siemiet who started the combat control orientation course at Pope. ;) I'm trying to catch up.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

GrimReaper

Thanks for sharing the CAP parachutists history.  I belong to MIWG and live in the areas mentioned in this article, very cool, I'm passing this on to others within my Squadron

Capt G
GLR-MI-117

GroundHawg

Quote from: LSThiker on February 20, 2014, 01:53:17 AM

Funny story.  I was a C/Lt Col one year and was attending NBB.  Out of the blue, this C/Capt (do not know who it was, what wing he was from, or anything) walks up to me.  Not even introducing himself or anything, he simply states

C/Capt: You need to take those off 
Me:  Take what off?
C/Capt:  CAP does not have an parachuting school
Me:  Yeah
C/Capt:  So how would you have earned those
Me:  The U.S. Army Airborne School 

He was dazed and confused as I was walking away

WIWAC, There was a Spaatz cadet that sported Air Assault and Airborne wings. He was a ROTC Cadet and I think is now a Army LTC. I believe I have a pic somewhere, it drew some looks for sure.

NIN

Quote from: GroundHawg on February 20, 2014, 02:42:31 PM
WIWAC, There was a Spaatz cadet that sported Air Assault and Airborne wings. He was a ROTC Cadet and I think is now a Army LTC. I believe I have a pic somewhere, it drew some looks for sure.

If he's an LTC now, he might be a heck of a fast-burner.

Or maybe I'm thinking of the cadet who went to A-Stan for a short tour and was sporting a CIB along with the bullwinkle badge and jumpwings.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

LSThiker

I was scheduled to be sporting both the Air Assault and Airborne Wings.  Unfortunately, due to budget cuts back then, my air assault slot was cancelled.  I was at least able to keep my airborne slot.

Shuman 14

Quote from: LSThiker on February 20, 2014, 05:58:45 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on February 20, 2014, 05:39:17 AM

Attached is a monograph on the CAP parachutist.

Very interesting. Thank you for posting it.
Joseph J. Clune

GroundHawg

Quote from: NIN on February 20, 2014, 02:48:51 PM

If he's an LTC now, he might be a heck of a fast-burner.

Or maybe I'm thinking of the cadet who went to A-Stan for a short tour and was sporting a CIB along with the bullwinkle badge and jumpwings.

Per this article, his is indeed a LTC. He always was above and beyond. (as Spaatz cadets tend to be)

http://www.army.mil/article/105532

A nice clip from when he was a still a Major.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?299774-5/role-mission-rotc