Blue Field Uniform

Started by Mela_007, July 12, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

SarDragon

I bought mine a while back, from Vanguard, and they are Propper brand. Not sure if they are ripstop or not.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mela_007

The Vanguard rep told me they were designed per CAP specs.

I have seen blue BDUs for years including our local Coast Guard. I have been debating buying them at a local Army/Navy store. Not sure of the differences but I could look at the regs and follow as close as possible. The Vanguard rep did say that the little heavier material tends to hold color better.
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Майор Хаткевич

VG material is ridiculously heavy.

Eclipse

Quote from: Mela_007 on July 27, 2013, 06:14:06 AM
The Vanguard rep told me they were designed per CAP specs.

An interesting statement, since there are no "CAP specs" for the BBDU, or pretty much any uniform beyond very general color and style.

They are standard production BBDU from a standard military / LEO supplier.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Sure there are CAP specs.....blue and BDU style.

Now....I doubt that Proper (who IIRC is what Vanguard Sells) produced their Navy Blue BDU's simply because CAP asked them too.....but given that we are getting this conversation third hand....I am sure what the Vanguard Rep meant was that the BBDU's that they sell meet CAP requirements.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Mela_007

Here's the quote from my email with Rep, "The uniform is specifically made per CAP specs, which is why we carry it in our inventory as a Winter weight. I do not know of any other location that carries this uniform."

To me this uniform looks exactly like the blue BDUs that I have seen on the military in the past for years!

PHall

Quote from: Mela_007 on July 28, 2013, 04:59:33 PM
Here's the quote from my email with Rep, "The uniform is specifically made per CAP specs, which is why we carry it in our inventory as a Winter weight. I do not know of any other location that carries this uniform."

To me this uniform looks exactly like the blue BDUs that I have seen on the military in the past for years!

Sounds like Vanguard is trying to justify overcharging for this item by saying a custom job.

You can probably get the exact same item for less at bdu.com or propper's web site.

Eclipse

Wow. I guess they aren't in the business of redirecting customers to their competition, but Pinocchio would be proud of the way that sentence is crafted.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2013, 02:17:35 AM

Wow. I guess they aren't in the business of redirecting customers to their competition, but Pinocchio would be proud of the way that sentence is crafted.
Not necessarily. If the Rep has never looked for them elsewhere he may not know other locations do carry them. I get mine from a Surplus store. And they're happy to order sizes they don't have in stock at no extra cost.

Eclipse

Maybe so, but the nonsense about "CAP specs" is pretty much a fib.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mela_007

I had a feeling I'd get a reply from some of you. lol  The comment about over pricing lets me know I need to do some shopping around. Plus it's good to know other sources can get a size they may not have in stock.   Now I just need to figure out the sizing. A unisex uniform does not exactly fit all, and my pear shape makes it challenging sometimes!

Thanks for all your help.  It's nice to get other opinions especially from other CAP members and I even saw at least one Ground Team too. I would like to begin training for Ground Team, which is why having a suitable outdoor uniform for summer activities will be important for me to find.

sarmed1

BDU style uniforms are based on sizes XS-XL diameters with an associated Short-regular-long for length, both in shirts and pants.  There is a inch measurement associated with each size range XX-XX.  So the ability to mix and match for different body styles is fairly easy.  Now some combos are not always readily available (say XL/short) but you should be able to find what you need.  The biggest problem I have seen with the "pear" is the shirt is straight cut (ie the same diameter around from shoulder to waist) so depending on the chest/hip variation you may end up with something that hangs on the shoulders to not get stuck on the hips (but custom adjustment...ie cut and sew, is an option if you really don't like the cut/fit.)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Mela_007

Thank you MK!!  That is exactly what I needed to know. I will have to have it altered then and hopefully it won't have to be a major overhaul.

PHall

Also, BDU.com does have a sizing chart that should help you too.

Mela_007

Thanks PHall, I will check bdu.com out. Someone else mentioned them as well. Thanks to all who have replied!!

billford1

If you dry clean the BBDU it will look good longer. You can buy the Dryel kit at Walmart.

Eclipse

Quote from: billford1 on August 01, 2013, 01:18:29 AM
If you dry clean the BBDU it will look good longer. You can buy the Dryel kit at Walmart.

+ 1 - or have the nice lady on the corner do it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mela_007

I admit I gave up today and ordered my BBDU from Vanguard.   :-\ 

I know it's going to be a shot in the dark if it fits, but it always is with something ordered online.  I tried the local Army/Navy stores and though they had tons of the BBDU pants, they had about 8 of the shirts total.  Of course they were either the wrong size or color or number of pockets, so...!!  The prices I was seeing on the other sites were comparable to Vanguard, so I am just going to try them for this first uniform.  They have a return policy, so I'll return it if needed.

I just need to get myself within those weight standards sooner than later so it's not as hard to find the uniforms!!!   :o

Eclipse

Quote from: Mela_007 on August 01, 2013, 01:33:57 AMI just need to get myself within those weight standards sooner than later so it's not as hard to find the uniforms!!! 

The available sizes for camo and blue field uniforms are the same.

http://terminallance.com/

"That Others May Zoom"

Mela_007

;D I know what you mean Eclipse, but perhaps the standard sizes will be easier to find!  Plus my unique shape won't be as challenging to fit!