Blue Field Uniform

Started by Mela_007, July 12, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

CAPChap219

Wow I am so surprised to see this.  I was just about to ask about uniforms.  OP I went o my local Good Will and found both an aviator shirt and gray pants.

The Blue Utility is another story.  I bought a number of items off ebay only to find none of them match even brand new stuff from the same manufacturer?   Most of it is dark or midnight blue so those are the pants I am trying to hunt down now.  I tell ya its not making me happy!!!

TarRiverRat

Are we allowed to wear the gray propper  pants with the blue polo?  I did not think we could do that concerning 39-1 or is that something that is coming.  If it is coming are we allowed to start wearing it now?  I like these better than having to wear dress slacks.  They look nice for office work or for meeting nights but not good for use as a flying outfit.  Getting in and out of aircraft is not very good with this combination.  I think the new Propper trousers would be great.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

SarDragon

Increasingly dressier versions of the grey slacks are required for those corporate uniforms - polo, aviator shirt, and blazer. From Table 4-X, CAPM 39-1:

1. Blazer - Commercial dress trousers of medium gray flannel, tropical worsted, or
similar commercial blend, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats,
with or without cuffs. (No jeans or causal trousers made of cotton or twill
fabric.) Front of trouser legs rests on the front of shoe or boot. No bunching
at waist or sagging at seat. Trousers must be worn at natural waist.

3. Aviator Shirt - Commercial dress slacks/trousers of medium gray flannel, tropical worsted, or
similar commercial blend, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats,
with or without cuffs. (No jeans or casual slacks.) No bunching at waist or
bagging at seat.

4. Polo - Commercial slacks/trousers in medium gray color, full cut, straight hanging,
with or without pleats, with or without cuffs. Cotton/twill weave trousers are
authorized (no jeans).

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

Quote from: TarRiverRat on July 17, 2013, 06:50:20 AM
If it is coming are we allowed to start wearing it now? 

No.  If its not authorized.  It means exactly that; not authorized.

It's anybodies guess (unless they sit on the uniform board) as to what may or may not be coming along.  even then, the Nat/CC can nix an idea.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Mela_007

The main thing wrong with the Propper pants shown is the pocket on the leg (like cargo pants)...right?  Since cotton/twill are authorized with the polo I would think things like Dockers or even the Dickies would be ok... or am I incorrect?  Of course, they need to be of a style appropriate for slacks. The material for the Dickies pants are much more rugged, but iron/crisp up nicely.
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Eclipse

Quote from: Mela_007 on July 18, 2013, 12:12:52 AM
The main thing wrong with the Propper pants shown is the pocket on the leg (like cargo pants)...right?  Since cotton/twill are authorized with the polo I would think things like Dockers or even the Dickies would be ok... or am I incorrect?  Of course, they need to be of a style appropriate for slacks. The material for the Dickies pants are much more rugged, but iron/crisp up nicely.

What's wrong with having a pocket on the leg?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: TarRiverRat on July 17, 2013, 06:50:20 AM
Are we allowed to wear the gray propper  pants with the blue polo?

We are as far as my wing is concerned.

Those pants meet the spec as published.  Anyone who says they don't is trying to make a point where none exists.
We've been wearing them for years.

"That Others May Zoom"

TarRiverRat

Thanks for the replies back to my question.  It helps.

Mela_007

Ok, I was not aware that the gray pants with the leg pocket were allowed. I know the reg doesn't specify, I suppose I just assumed. I will have to check with my squadron to find out if there are any specifics in my area.

I had hoped my questions were easy to answer, but apparently not. I will just have to keep looking around for both the gray pants and summer weight blue BDU. I just don't understand why Vanguard only carries a winter weight blue field uniform and not a summer weight. Oh well...  :(

TarRiverRat

I wish Vanguard would stock the gray pants.

Mela_007

I totally agree TarRiverRat!!  I've already got the golf shirt and everything I need for the golf shirt uniform, but the gray pants are proving to be elusive!!!

Fubar

Quote from: Mela_007 on July 21, 2013, 04:04:58 AM
I totally agree TarRiverRat!!  I've already got the golf shirt and everything I need for the golf shirt uniform, but the gray pants are proving to be elusive!!!

I don't think I've ever been to a clothing store that doesn't have grey pants.

When you find pants in the store, ask yourself two questions:

1) Are they pants?
2) Are they grey?

If you can answer yes to both those questions, you're good to go!

BHartman007

Quote from: Fubar on July 21, 2013, 08:16:32 AM
Quote from: Mela_007 on July 21, 2013, 04:04:58 AM

I don't think I've ever been to a clothing store that doesn't have grey pants.

When you find pants in the store, ask yourself two questions:

1) Are they pants?
2) Are they grey?

If you can answer yes to both those questions, you're good to go!

3) Are they in your size? This is the one I had a hard time with.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Fubar

Quote from: BHartman007 on July 21, 2013, 03:08:35 PM3) Are they in your size? This is the one I had a hard time with.

Ahh, gotcha. Didn't consider the edge cases on the small/large ends of the bell curve. Can the places you usually purchase pants from order what you need?

Mela_007

You really would think finding gray pants would be simple, I thought so. However, it's not turning out nearly as simple as you would think. First of all, yes size is a issue for me...hence the question about the blue BDU's not the regular ones. Secondly, in ladies clothing. Mens stores stock the classic style pants, but the ladies stores all want to follow the latest trend so just finding a classic pair of pants is a trick. Also, gray seems to be a hard to find color. I can order them, but I prefer to try them on. I already have one pair I have to return because they don't fit right. I guess I'll keep looking.

I don't have a brand or store that I know fits properly right now. I did check Haggar on line and apparently they don't even carry ladies clothes anymore!!

Mela_007

After eight local stores I finally came across a pair of gray pants that fit me for the golf shirt uniform!  They are more of a charcoal gray, but at this point I just needed something. I will continue my search for a pair to wear with the aviator shirt that is right for that uniform.

As for the blue field uniform, I had a good string of emails with Vanguard today. It seems like the weight of the field uniform is a little heavier than standard summer BDUs (active duty), so I'm hoping they are like the all weather woodlands. They were designed especially for CAP so I plan to give them a try. If they are too much heavier than the woodlands (I plan to compare on a meeting night when others are in woodland), then I will try to find a lighter alternative.  :-\

Eclipse

Quote from: Mela_007 on July 26, 2013, 05:18:34 AMThey were designed especially for CAP...

Who told you that?  Vanguard?

"That Others May Zoom"

tribalelder

If you want lighter, propper ripstop cotton- drawbacks-ironing intensive and if not cold water washed, WILL fade.

Poly cotton ripstop- lighter than cotton or poly cotton twill, near no-iron, good color retention. Depending on Long or Short instead of Regular, size search may be a challenge.

WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on July 26, 2013, 05:35:25 AM
Quote from: Mela_007 on July 26, 2013, 05:18:34 AMThey were designed especially for CAP...

They can't put it on the internet if it isn't true.

Bonjour.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

AngelWings

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 26, 2013, 11:20:05 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 26, 2013, 05:35:25 AM

They can't put it on the internet if it isn't true.

Bonjour.
You've just won a cookie for that!

As for the actual topic, BlueDU's have been around for quite some time. Many places, including Fire Departments, have used them. My town uses them.