Main Menu

Ranger Roll

Started by CAP428, February 05, 2007, 02:00:56 AM

flyguy06

Quote from: desert rat on February 19, 2007, 07:05:41 PM
When I was in Army OBC a few of the officers were wearing the ranger rolls.  A seargent came over to them and commenced to chewing them out.  He was passionate about this because he felt the officers did not deserve to wear a ranger roll because they had never gone through ranger training, and that disrespected the real rangers. 
There are no Army rangers in the AF or CAP. 

Huh? There are no Officers that are Rangers? every active duty Infantry officer is required to attend ranger School after graduating from IOBC. Its not an option for them., The Ranger Regimental Commander, and his staff. They all have to be rangers in order to get the job

And yes the USAF does send PJ's and TACP airmen to ranger school. but not SF airmen.

Ya know, I didnt even notice that this was an old post

BillB

Do baseball bats and 2x4's violate CPPT?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BillB on June 02, 2009, 02:23:57 PM
Do baseball bats and 2x4's violate CPPT?

They usually do... if you actually use 'em!  >:D ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SPD6696

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 02, 2009, 02:05:24 PM
Quote from: desert rat on February 19, 2007, 07:05:41 PM
When I was in Army OBC a few of the officers were wearing the ranger rolls.  A seargent came over to them and commenced to chewing them out.  He was passionate about this because he felt the officers did not deserve to wear a ranger roll because they had never gone through ranger training, and that disrespected the real rangers. 
There are no Army rangers in the AF or CAP. 

Huh? There are no Officers that are Rangers? every active duty Infantry officer is required to attend ranger School after graduating from IOBC. Its not an option for them., The Ranger Regimental Commander, and his staff. They all have to be rangers in order to get the job

And yes the USAF does send PJ's and TACP airmen to ranger school. but not SF airmen.

Ya know, I didnt even notice that this was an old post

Actually, AF SF Airmen DO get sent to Ranger school.
"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 02, 2009, 02:05:24 PMYa know, I didnt even notice that this was an old post

Yes, there is even a pre-Ranger course for AF Security Forces.

A 2008 article

A 2004 article

Quote"Those that graduate (from) Ranger school can take the knowledge and expertise that they learn there and bring it back to Air Force security forces units," said Lt. Mark Douglas, a Ranger-qualified airman and a pre-Ranger course instructor.
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

Very interesting. We dont let MP's go to ranger school unless they have aninside hook up. Why do we let SF Airmen go?

lordmonar

mission requirements
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 03, 2009, 05:33:11 AM
Very interesting. We dont let MP's go to ranger school unless they have aninside hook up. Why do we let SF Airmen go?

Not that it's the norm, but I have personally known Army MPs to go to Ranger School.

As for SF Airmen, they don't just stand gates, guard nukes or patrol flight lines anymore.

Plus, Ranger School is defined as a "Combat Leadership Course".

From the course description:

QuoteThe purpose of the course is learning to soldier as a combat leader while enduring the great mental and psychological stresses and physical fatigue of combat; the Ranger Instructors (RI) create and cultivate such a physical and mental environment.

As an example, for this drill weekend, my ANG SF Squadron is being picked up by Army Blackhawks this morning and being flown to a training area where we will conduct an overnight FTX that mostly involves day and night land nav.  Doesn't sound like your typical SF mission does it?
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on June 03, 2009, 01:19:20 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on June 03, 2009, 05:33:11 AM

Not that it's the norm, but I have personally known Army MPs to go to Ranger School.

As for SF Airmen, they don't just stand gates, guard nukes or patrol flight lines anymore.

QuoteThe purpose of the course is learning to soldier as a combat leader while enduring the great mental and psychological stresses and physical fatigue of combat; the Ranger Instructors (RI) create and cultivate such a physical and mental environment.

As an example, for this drill weekend, my ANG SF Squadron is being picked up by Army Blackhawks this morning and being flown to a training area where we will conduct an overnight FTX that mostly involves day and night land nav.  Doesn't sound like your typical SF mission does it?

Doesn't sound like anything that really requires Ranger school. Good training, yes, but you don't need it to know field work.

Ranger school does not make one a Ranger, either. I've talked to a couple soldiers that have actually served in the Ranger battalions. There's a lot more to it.

NIN

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 03, 2009, 01:51:01 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on June 03, 2009, 01:19:20 PM

Doesn't sound like anything that really requires Ranger school. Good training, yes, but you don't need it to know field work.

Ranger school does not make one a Ranger, either. I've talked to a couple soldiers that have actually served in the Ranger battalions. There's a lot more to it.

I think Kirt was merely saying that his SF unit is not exactly "playing parade ground cops" as one might think of SF.  Or at least, they're out there conducting training that is a little "out of the ordinary" for an AF SF unit.

I think he has more than a passing familiarity with Ranger School and the Infantry.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 03, 2009, 01:51:01 PMDoesn't sound like anything that really requires Ranger school. Good training, yes, but you don't need it to know field work.

You're correct.  Ranger School is not necessary to do these things.  I was implying that we (SF) do missions similar to that of the Infantry.  You don't need a Ranger Tab (i.e. the School) to perform an Infantry mission, but it certainly is does help.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on June 03, 2009, 03:39:00 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on June 03, 2009, 01:51:01 PMDoesn't sound like anything that really requires Ranger school. Good training, yes, but you don't need it to know field work.

You're correct.  Ranger School is not necessary to do these things.  I was implying that we (SF) do missions similar to that of the Infantry.  You don't need a Ranger Tab (i.e. the School) to perform an Infantry mission, but it certainly is does help.

Ah, gotcha. I've seen more than a few that think that it's the only way to be Infantry.

Stonewall

BTW, my Squadron Commander is a graduate of Army Ranger School, Airborne and Air Assault.

Also, as an FYI - a couple of articles about Air Force Security Forces' specialty missions within Special Operations.

DAGRE Story 2007

DAGRE story 2008
Serving since 1987.

citizensoldier

4 pages folks..........
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Rotorhead

Quote from: citizensoldier on June 03, 2009, 06:17:57 PM
4 pages folks..........

Thanks for helping to make it five!
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

swamprat86

I'm from Wing, I'm here to help.  ;D

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: swamprat86 on June 03, 2009, 06:49:01 PM