How to fade my BDU's

Started by yeahididthat, April 27, 2011, 07:45:04 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: Littleguy on May 03, 2011, 08:49:36 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on May 03, 2011, 08:27:48 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on May 03, 2011, 06:25:39 PM
BDU's should be tapered to the body (fit good)...
Gonna need to see a reference on that. Blues, yes; don't think that applies to BDUs.
Reason why I said should. An extremely baggy or spandex tight set of BDU's wouldn't look good.
BDUs don't fit tapered, they're not designed to do so. The proper wear is by the size referenced on the BDUs themselves. They'll be loose, but not baggy.

jimmydeanno

My BDU blouse is tapered.  It goes in at the waist and out at the hips.  I know that most of our seniors' BDUs don't go in at the waist, but that doesn't mean that they are designed to be paper bags.  My old set of BDUs, with the waist buttons on the blouse are obviously intended to make the blouse taper.

I agree that they shouldn't be like spandex, but shouldn't look like a size 36 dude wearing a size 52 flightsuit.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

Your BDU's should fit properly.....there are a thousand bloody sizes...get the one that fits best.

By saying that they should be "tapered" kind of implies that we should be taking them out to get altered like the Honor Guard types do to their blues.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Lord

I think that most cadet uniforms fade due to excessive washing, hot-glued seams, pockets, and patches, hot ironing, spray starch, and other crimes against nature.  When they become shiny or threadbare, its time to throw them in the trash and start fresh. There is no shame in a brand new uniform ( unless you are a 2d Lt)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on May 03, 2011, 10:17:54 PMBy saying that they should be "tapered" kind of implies that we should be taking them out to get altered like the Honor Guard types do to their blues.
That's exactly what I thought when I read it. The manual talks about a tapered appearance, but it's not applied to BDU's.

I have know people that for some unknown reason actually had BDU's tailored. And they all were told to get new ones, as modifications to that uniform weren't authorized. They were unhappy campers.

RVT

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 02, 2011, 10:36:29 PMI may use that to push the idea of just a shirt that's orange for wear up the chain. Can't match shades with different colors.

Thats what is actually causing the problem.  We HAVE an orange shirt for ground team use, but you keep wearing the blue BDU pants.  They fade from use - but the top half is only worn in your car getting to and from the search base, and doesn't fade - or even get dirty enough to need to be washed.

If the orange over blue combination was authorised to be worn in an off duty status it would be a lot simpler, but CAWG regulations do not allow for it.

SarDragon

How about just washing both pieces together, anyway? Then they will still fade evenly.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FlyTiger77

Quote from: BTCS1* on April 29, 2011, 01:39:30 AM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 28, 2011, 10:11:14 PM
Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 07:45:04 PM
I have a brand new pair of BDU's and i want them to look faded like salty marines BDUs. I hate the darker color of new BDU's.

As someone who is currently sitting in Iraq, and who daily sees Soldiers and Marines in faded uniforms from spending long, hot hours outside, I can only shake my head sadly and think that there is yet another cadet who truly doesn't understand what CAP is supposed to be about.

Good luck, Sir. Get home safe.

Thanks. I intend to.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

JC004

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 07:45:04 PM
i want them to look faded like salty marines BDUs. I hate the darker color of new BDU's.

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 08:20:18 PM
i set my self apart from the rest of my cadets and i like them faded

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 11:54:25 PM
I just want them fadded a little more so they are cooler in the summer because the fabric is lighter in color.

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:34:01 PM
i just wanted to have the faded style back because thats what I am used to.

which is it?

a2capt

LOL.. and all this time, I'm trying to find the ones that are darker, slightly subdued kinda looking, in winter weight... and you possibly don't like 'em. Can't please everyone...

I need to just ask the cadets where they got 'em.. bought new, not DRMO or such.

Hawk200

I think the OP has got it by now.

SarDragon

Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret