How to fade my BDU's

Started by yeahididthat, April 27, 2011, 07:45:04 PM

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:24:53 AM
Quote from: octavian on April 27, 2011, 09:08:18 PM
If you want to set yourself apart from other cadets, learn all you can, attend every activity available to you, and work hard.
you hit the nail on the head :clap: I do that for every activity.

If you do what you say you do, then the fading will come naturally if you are involved enough in the program like you want your uniform to suggest.
I have been in CAP for only 5 1/2 years and have had my share of activities (7 encampments, 2 NCSAs, Countless wing activities). My uniforms show the wear and tear of a highly-involved, dedicated cadet who has been in for a while, but nowhere close to the fading of those who have been in for several decades and who have served in the military. Now, I don't know how long you have been in CAP, but I can only guess for a little bit based on your track record on CAPTalk. The people in your squadron will observe that you have done something to your uniform in order to look like you have experience. They will know the real story, and you most likely won't be taken any more serious than you are now (even if that is pretty serious).
My only suggestion is to take the suggestions of those that are on this forum (which YOU decided to ask and get opinions from) and just live with the uniform you have now. Natural wear and tear are better for the uniform then artificial wear and tear and your uniform will last longer. The people that YOU asked are also more likely more experienced in general life and have more than (naturally)faded uniforms to show it.
Also, look at the reg quote, graciously pulled from CAPM39-1 by 1stLtNurseOfficer. It does make comment about appearance and fading.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

AngelWings

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 11:54:25 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 27, 2011, 08:55:42 PM
Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 08:20:18 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on April 27, 2011, 07:49:43 PM
Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 07:45:04 PM
I have a brand new pair of BDU's and i want them to look faded like salty marines BDUs. I hate the darker color of new BDU's.

Seriously? Don't be "that guy."

its my choice to be that guy alright
i set my self apart from the rest of my cadets and i like them faded

It actually isn't your choice - CAP has regs regarding appearance and standards, and your attitude regarding those standards will
directly reflect on your abilities as a cadet.  It's called a uniform for a reason - because it's supposed to be the same as all the others,
"standing out" in a paramilitary organization is supposed to be based on merit and accomplishment, not the color of your pants.
Alright I Agree with you but everyone has diffrent standards and preferences. I think that having your BDUs washed out white looking is horrible. I just want them fadded a little more so they are cooler in the summer because the fabric is lighter in color.
Fading doesn't make a difference in heat. The nature of the fabric is independent of the color. A salty top is earned with service, not manipulating the fabric. Your stripes are what decides how salty you look, along with specialtiy patches that you earn from events/activities. You are better off rolling your sleeves and having breathable boots, and a ventilated patrol cap that goes with a nice buzz cut. Also, a quick tip for keeping cool is to have a nice under shirt. If I'm not mistaken, the regulations say nothing about the shirts having to be only cotton, so a nice black or brown under armor shirt could be worn.

HGjunkie

UnderArmor exercise shirts= Beast mode. I've got 4 of 'em, and they're great for hot weather.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Spaceman3750

Quote from: HGjunkie on April 28, 2011, 02:12:14 AM
UnderArmor exercise shirts= Beast mode. I've got 4 of 'em, and they're great for hot weather.

Where can I find this "beast mode" button, and is it on my BBDUs as well? >:D

HGjunkie

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 28, 2011, 02:50:30 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on April 28, 2011, 02:12:14 AM

Where can I find this "beast mode" button, and is it on my BBDUs as well? >:D

I believe I unlocked the button after selecting the "fork over some more money" option. For BBDU types, I believe it becomes available after deciding what color shirt you want.  8)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Slim

This thread reminds me of the probie (probationary, rookie, new guy) firefighter I ran across once.  The condition of our turnout gear and helmets were almost like a resume' to veteran firefighters; the more dirty your gear was, and the discoloration of your helmet told others how experienced and aggressive you were as a firefighter.

I realize the current, conventional wisdom is to regularly clean/maintain your turnouts lest the hydrocarbons build up to the point of combustion.  Even so, once they've seen some work, they'll never look good as new.

Along comes this probie who wanted the look, but didn't want to wait to earn it.  He set fire to a pile of leaves (from his own yard), put on his bright, shiny new turnouts, put the fire out, then rolled around in the ashes to dirty up his gear.  He also held his shiny new yellow helmet over a burning barbecue grill so the heat would discolor it and "smoke" it up.  When we realized what he'd done, we ran his gear through the washer, and cleaned up his helmet for him.

We told him the same thing I'll tell the OP here:  If you want the look bad enough, work for it, put in your time, do your job, and earn it.  Seriously, after a few trips through the laundry, they'll start to fade a little, and give the the comfortable look you want. 

Slim

Major Lord

The best way to fade your BDU's is to wear them day and night for weeks at a time and soak them from the inside out in the sweat of raw fear and pain. That's how Jack Bauer would do it. I actually have less of a problem with BDU's in good condition, but  faded, than I do with BDU's soaked in starch so that they will burn like a sparkler on the fourth of July, or like a really dedicated peace protester and a gallon of gasoline. Trying to turn BDU's into a dress uniform is like trying to Canonize a Chicago Politician.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Майор Хаткевич

What Slim said.

As a self admitted "almost at Mitchell" cadet, you need to act accordingly. By C/CMSgt, about 1.5 years in, my first set was showing discoloration. All it meant? I got a new set.

indygreg

Quote from: Major Lord on April 28, 2011, 04:37:26 AM
That's how Jack Bauer would do it.

Major Lord

Jack Bauer's BDU's would probably have some terrorist blood on them, as well.  It's actually kinda funny picturing him at a CAP mission base yelling"Get those planes in the air! We're running out of time! "

I miss Jack :'(

yeahididthat

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on April 28, 2011, 01:04:00 AM
If you want to set yourself apart from other cadets, learn all you can, attend every activity available to you, and work hard.

If you do what you say you do, then the fading will come naturally if you are involved enough in the program like you want your uniform to suggest.
I have been in CAP for only 5 1/2 years and have had my share of activities (7 encampments, 2 NCSAs, Countless wing activities). My uniforms show the wear and tear of a highly-involved, dedicated cadet who has been in for a while, but nowhere close to the fading of those who have been in for several decades and who have served in the military. Now, I don't know how long you have been in CAP, but I can only guess for a little bit based on your track record on CAPTalk. The people in your squadron will observe that you have done something to your uniform in order to look like you have experience. They will know the real story, and you most likely won't be taken any more serious than you are now (even if that is pretty serious).
My only suggestion is to take the suggestions of those that are on this forum (which YOU decided to ask and get opinions from) and just live with the uniform you have now. Natural wear and tear are better for the uniform then artificial wear and tear and your uniform will last longer. The people that YOU asked are also more likely more experienced in general life and have more than (naturally)faded uniforms to show it.
Also, look at the reg quote, graciously pulled from CAPM39-1 by 1stLtNurseOfficer. It does make comment about appearance and fading.
I have been in cap for almost 4 years now I used to have a faded pair i just wanted to have the faded style back because thats what I am used to.

yeahididthat

Yes I understand 39-1 say no to faded bdus, but how much is too much? Their is no pictures in 39-1, defining too much fading.

Майор Хаткевич

4 years, supposedly a C/SNCO, and this is your attitude?

mclarke

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:39:55 PM

Yes I understand 39-1 say no to faded bdus, but how much is too much? Their is no pictures in 39-1, defining too much fading.

Well, put it this way. If you hold a new uniform next an old one and you see a significant difference, there too faded.

If when you stand with your flight, you can be singled out, there too faded.

If you look like "dust" instead of "jungle bright", there too faded.

NOTE: Note, when it doubt, replace.

(As a side note, you should not need more than 2 sets of BDUs, so, I tend replace mine every year. Use UV safe detergents, do not leave them prolonged in the sun, and if possible, air dry them. Irons them at least monthly. They should last a good year or 2).

yeahididthat

I iron them religiously everyday unless I am out of town.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 01:14:18 PM

Every day?!?!?! You only wear them once, maybe twice a week!

We all set our priorities and we all have to live with our decisions about what is our priority, but I think there's something else you can be doing with that daily ironing time, be it doing something else personally, or contributing in some other way to CAP.

mclarke

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 28, 2011, 01:16:40 PM

We all set our priorities and we all have to live with our decisions about what is our priority, but I think there's something else you can be doing with that daily ironing time, be it doing something else personally, or contributing in some other way to CAP.

Like recruiting, ironing boots, looking at the squadron and where improvements can be made, then coming up with way to fix it and present them at the next meeting.

yeahididthat

Quote from: mclarke on April 28, 2011, 01:29:43 PM

Like recruiting, ironing boots, looking at the squadron and where improvements can be made, then coming up with way to fix it and present them at the next meeting.

I do all of the above everyday. I love cap I treat it like a job, the real military. I shine my boots shoes everyday. Werid but, ironing, shoe/boot shining is actually fun. I love doing it all day everyday when im not at school.

yeahididthat

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 01:34:14 PM
Quote from: mclarke on April 28, 2011, 01:29:43 PM

I do all of the above everyday. I love cap I treat it like a job, the real military. I shine my boots shoes everyday. Werid but, ironing, shoe/boot shining is actually fun. I love doing it all day everyday when im not at school.
And i do plenty of recuiting i have the recruiters ribbon with 4 bronze clasps.

Major Carrales

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on April 28, 2011, 12:43:16 PM

And how would you know this?  I am assuming you went back and looked at his post and did not violate e-services.  (just a friendly warning that the latter does happen)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 28, 2011, 02:29:43 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on April 28, 2011, 12:43:16 PM

And how would you know this?  I am assuming you went back and looked at his post and did not violate e-services.  (just a friendly warning that the latter does happen)

I don't know about the time but he did state he was nearing Mitchell in another thread. So far I haven't even seen him mention what wing he's in much less a name or anything that could be used to look him up.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn