How to fade my BDU's

Started by yeahididthat, April 27, 2011, 07:45:04 PM

yeahididthat

I have a brand new pair of BDU's and i want them to look faded like salty marines BDUs. I hate the darker color of new BDU's.

davidsinn

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 07:45:04 PM
I have a brand new pair of BDU's and i want them to look faded like salty marines BDUs. I hate the darker color of new BDU's.

Seriously? Don't be "that guy."
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

manfredvonrichthofen

Wow, that is all I can think of is wow.

Most people want to retain the crisp color of their brand new BDUs. They look more professional than faded BDUs. Mine have started to fade, and I am about ready to go get a new set because of it. Keep them looking new as much as possible.

If you are trying to look like a "salty Marine" you are in CAP for the wrong reason. I suggest you look at CAP's national history and your wing's history and if possible your squadron's history to get some new motivation and become proud of being in CAP and not try to be a Marine in CAP.

ElectricPenguin

Buy a bad brand. They will fade quickly.

davidsinn

If you really want a faded uniform go out and do something and earn it legitimately. Right now in my wing we have a few dozen members that have been sandbagging for two and a half days and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Those people have earned faded uniforms. You're not a Marine nor are you old enough to be "salty." I'm not old enough to be salty.

Don't be a poser or a wannabe.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

mclarke

Um, a faded BDU set only says "I do not care about my appearance". If anything, keep the solid look. Use UV protection detergent (I use Hunters Specialty Laundry Detergent to keep color).

MIKE

Fake-salty is not Salty.  Real Salty takes time... or really bad field laundry facilities.
Mike Johnston

yeahididthat

wow i love the supporting community here my service in cap really gets me places  thanks guys :clap:

yeahididthat

Quote from: davidsinn on April 27, 2011, 07:49:43 PM

its my choice to be that guy alright
i set my self apart from the rest of my cadets and i like them faded

davidsinn

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 08:20:18 PM

If you want to set yourself apart from the other cadets earn your Spaatz.

Having the only faded uniform in a formation makes you look funny.

You have the privilege of wearing the uniform of The United States; a uniform that is stained in the blood of people that are greater and more honorable than you or I could ever be. Wear it right or don't wear it at all.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hawk200

Quote from: mclarke on April 27, 2011, 08:04:37 PM
Um, a faded BDU set only says "I do not care about my appearance". If anything, keep the solid look. Use UV protection detergent (I use Hunters Specialty Laundry Detergent to keep color).
That's useful info. Where's a good place to pick some up?

Many people consider "that guy" a fake. You may like the look, but if you haven't put the time in, few people are going to take you seriously. The salty look is one thing in Iraq, but in the States it's not something that's appreciated.

Second, "setting yourself apart" in that manner doesn't present a team player. Set yourself apart by doing more than the minimum. Work hard, instead of trying to adopt an appearance that you do. Work with your team, not as a loner. Don't try to adopt terminology that doesn't apply to cadets in CAP. Be a real cadet, and not a fake Marine (or any other military member).

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 27, 2011, 08:40:16 PM
The salty look is one thing in Iraq, but in the States it's not something that's appreciated.

That is very true, I BOUGHT a new pair of ACUs when I got back into garrison, because I know a good looking uniform is part of the professional image, and field stains aren't a desirable thing on a professional's suit.

Eclipse

Amazing - most of us here argue about whether to dry clean and starch our uniforms so they will continue to look new...

"That Others May Zoom"

Persona non grata

wow! they make morale tabs that say "That Guy" on them.    On a serious note,keep your BDU'S looking good.  Please dont wear face paint your not Gunny Highway.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Thrashed

I thought we were supposed to replace faded uniforms?  How about cutting holes in the pants to have the cool worn look?

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

It actually isn't your choice - CAP has regs regarding appearance and standards, and your attitude regarding those standards will
directly reflect on your abilities as a cadet.  It's called a uniform for a reason - because it's supposed to be the same as all the others,
"standing out" in a paramilitary organization is supposed to be based on merit and accomplishment, not the color of your pants.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 27, 2011, 08:45:03 PMThat is very true, I BOUGHT a new pair of ACUs when I got back into garrison, because I know a good looking uniform is part of the professional image, and field stains aren't a desirable thing on a professional's suit.
Almost did that myself. I washed the set I was wearing when I got to As Saliyah, it seemed to remove a lot of the yellow tone. Once I got back Stateside and threw them in the washer, I stopped the wash cycle and let them soak for a couple hours. Took a few washes, but finally got them to the point where they were presentable. Something about the yellow tone made them look faded, but once I got that tone out, they looked a lot better. Thankfully, I only had to get a couple sets instead of replacing them all.

I remember a conversation only a few months ago with a fellow Iraqi vet in the local unit. He thought it was a little ridiculous that some cadets were trying to wear old looking uniforms. As he said, "There were times over there that I would have killed to have something brand new, and these kids want to look like they walked out of the desert." I was kind of glad to hear him say it, I hated thinking that I was the only person that thought so.

lordmonar

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 08:19:01 PM
wow i love the supporting community here my service in cap really gets me places  thanks guys :clap:
Look cadet.  We are just trying to help you out.  You want to be a posser.....go right ahead.  You won't win any point but go ahead.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mclarke

Can I iron in a tobacco chew imprint in my rear pocket as well?

On a serious note, I do believe we actually are suppose to replace faded uniforms. In addition to that, I sincerely hope that if you attend an event you have a better set available. If there is an inspection you will most likely be docked pointed/merits (however they score it) for a faded uniform, which in turn may cost the flight as a whole.

Remember, any actions you choose to take affect not only yourself, but the entire Civil Air Patrol. That includes personal appearance.

octavian

If you want to set yourself apart from other cadets, learn all you can, attend every activity available to you, and work hard.