Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 21, 2016, 07:55:23 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on March 21, 2016, 07:51:09 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 21, 2016, 07:47:34 PM
Quote from: AngusW on March 21, 2016, 01:37:28 PMThat and $3.15 will get you a large Iced at Dunkin Donuts.  After all CAP runs on Dunkin.

Or if you are south of the Mason-Dixon Line, it's Krispy Kreme... :D

Krispy Kreme, sweet tea and Chik-Fil-A(or KFC in some areas, YMMV). Life is good.

Too much of any or all of those, and not enough work/metabolism will result in the BBDU for you.

Yep. Hardest part for me over the last 3 months was to drop my XL cream and sugar. Now it's just creme, sometimes not even a coffee at all. 2-3 of those a day was 120g of sugar...

THRAWN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 21, 2016, 08:15:32 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on March 21, 2016, 07:55:23 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on March 21, 2016, 07:51:09 PM
Quote from: AngusW on March 21, 2016, 01:37:28 PMThat and $3.15 will get you a large Iced at Dunkin Donuts.  After all CAP runs on Dunkin.

Krispy Kreme, sweet tea and Chik-Fil-A(or KFC in some areas, YMMV). Life is good.

Too much of any or all of those, and not enough work/metabolism will result in the BBDU for you.

Yep. Hardest part for me over the last 3 months was to drop my XL cream and sugar. Now it's just creme, sometimes not even a coffee at all. 2-3 of those a day was 120g of sugar...

Zounds, that's a lot. How's that working for you? I recently went over to tea (pinky out and all...) with no sugar. Bridey and I are going to try a sugar fast at the beginning of next month. A guy in my office had some good success with that, so we figured we'd give it a shot...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

CAPDCCMOM

Watch out for the sugar numbers on the "Creamer" too, it is huge. Only black coffee has zero calories

Angus

I thought Dunkin has made some good in roads down that way.  It's been awhile since I've been in the deep south.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Garibaldi

Quote from: AngusW on March 21, 2016, 08:32:46 PM

I thought Dunkin has made some good in roads down that way.  It's been awhile since I've been in the deep south.

Wee gotz tha Dunkin' down hurr. Ain't near close to popular as KK, but it's near nuff good
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on March 21, 2016, 08:29:35 PM
Watch out for the sugar numbers on the "Creamer" too, it is huge. Only black coffee has zero calories

Cream, not sweetened creamer.

The weight loss is slow and sporadic, but I'm invested to see it through.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 21, 2016, 09:59:53 PM
Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on March 21, 2016, 08:29:35 PM

Cream, not sweetened creamer.

The weight loss is slow and sporadic, but I'm invested to see it through.

I was able to lose 19 pounds in less than three months by cutting sugar and reducing carbs. It was hard to get used to drinking coffee with half and half only, but I've gotten used to it. Best part, my uniform fits better now.

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 22, 2016, 11:03:33 AM
I was able to lose 19 pounds in less than three months by cutting sugar and reducing carbs. It was hard to get used to drinking coffee with half and half only, but I've gotten used to it. Best part, my uniform fits better now.

November 2011, I was 237 lbs.
July 2012 I was 212.
Busted 200 in late August, finally hit 185 around Halloween.

I have been hovering between 183 and 190 since then.  Just about right.

Did several things that were less "dietetic" and more "lifestyle".

1) Drank more water. Lots more water.  Like 32-48 oz more a day.
2) Ate three meals a day.  A legit breakfast (cereal with yogurt, etc), a small lunch and a sensible dinner.
3) Stopped eating out 4-5 days a week.  (This was more budget than waistline, but it helped both!  It was probably 75% of my weight control problems. Portion control at restaurants is awful)
4) Shifted the balance of carbs and protein away from "Carb heavy" (mmm, carbs..) Things like "instead of getting two cheeseburgers, get 1 double cheeseburger. Still the same meat, but 1/2 the bun."
5) Eliminated nearly all "added sugar" from my diet.  Coffee was cream only.  I only add sugar to recipes when I have to, and if its something I can get away without, I will.  (Here in New England, the default Dunkin' Donuts coffee configuration is "regular": cream and sugar. The first time you watch them put the sugar in a "regular" coffee you'll be surprised your teeth haven't rotted out of your head just from watching. As a friend once said "Of course people like Dunkin's coffee. You put that much cream and sugar in anything and people will like it..")
6) Knocked off soda.  Like cold turkey.  Done.  Definitely not regular (see above about sugar), and I even stopped diet soda flat.  As a good friend would say "There is nothing in there your body needs.." EVERY time I've started drinking soda a little, especially diet soda, I put weight on.  Every time.   That stuff is not helpful to your body's chemistry.
7) Took snack food right out of the house. Gone.  No chips, pretzels, etc.  You want "idle snacking food?" Here's an apple.
8 ) Started going to bed earlier.  This is a funny one.  I noticed that if I stayed up late, I had a tendency to eat things after 9pm.  If I went to bed at 9:30 or 10pm, my body wasn't demanding fuel to keep going.  If I stayed up to 12:30 or 1am, my body would demand additional energy, so I'd munch on things.  Bad news.

I hate exercise.  I guess I just don't like to get sweaty.

I once had Ned tell me he'd burned like 600 calories running for an hour or something (oh, I hate running...ugh). 

I replied "Instead of burning 600 calories and wasting an hour beating up my undercarriage, I won't eat that 600 calorie Big Mac meal."

Don't get me wrong: exercise has its place. You still need it.  But my philosophy is "I can't always exercise to burn calories, but I am always going to have to eat."

So if I can keep control of what I'm jamming in my gob, maybe I don't have to worry so much about burning it off.

That said, these days I keep things under control by eating vegetable heavy meals (my fiancee is very health conscious) several days a week.

Things I did not give up: Coffee, Pizza and (cadets, cover your eyes) beer (good beer, not the crap you find stacked the end of the aisle in the supermarket).  I jokingly say that my diet is designed so I don't have to give those things up. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

I've been seeing very interesting muscles develop from my 2-3/week sessions at the small group training. I'm sure I've actually packed on a good amount of muscle on top of the fat loss, but I'm about to start cutting a 'hole lotta suguh, which unfortunately means bye bye fruits, and sticking to my Protein + Veggies + Fats, and absolutely minimal sugar.

I'm 5'10", and plan on hitting 200 before re-evaluating my next steps (the body composition scale is WONKY, put my lean mass at 180, so according to that, at ~200 I should be at 10% BF, but unless I've been strong-manning it in my sleep, I've got my doubts. )

Ned

Quote from: NIN on March 22, 2016, 11:53:15 AM

I once had Ned tell me he'd burned like 600 calories running for an hour or something (oh, I hate running...ugh). 

I replied "Instead of burning 600 calories and wasting an hour beating up my undercarriage, I won't eat that 600 calorie Big Mac meal."

Dude, what I actually said in 2013 was:

Quote from: Ned
We all need to be fit, of course.  And frequent exercise is critical.

But exercise is not all that helpful if one's goal is to lose weight.  Losing weight is really about nutrition.

I am a bit of a runner, perhaps slightly more than some seniors.  My usual run is 11 miles or so in a little over 90 minutes.  According to my magic running computer, I burn about 1250 calories doing that.

By an amazing coincidence a Big Mac, medium fries, & medium Coke is almost exactly 1200 calories.

It takes me about two hours to run, cool down, shower, etc.  It takes me exactly 0.00 minutes to not eat a Big Mac and fries.

Clearly, it is much more efficient to not eat the junk in the first place rather than it is to try and "run it off" on the trail or treadmill.

(And a Big Mac is nowhere near the worst offender on the Mickey Dee's menu. )

(Today's lunch was salmon shioyaki, rice, a salad, and green tea.  Mmmm.)

Give proper credit to your elders, please.   8)

(ran the Hellyer Half Marathon on Sunday in 2:05.  Managed to fall arse-over-teakettle on the trail, finished with road rash and wounded pride.  Getting old is hell.)

Майор Хаткевич

Half Marathon? You're about 12 miles over my abilities as is!

NIN

Quote from: Ned on March 22, 2016, 03:49:48 PM
Give proper credit to your elders, please.   8)

OK: "For an old guy, you have a heck of a memory."

:)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

USACAP

The actual scale, as in the one you stand on, or the tables the military uses? :)
If you look at who/what the commercial bodyfat scales are calibrated for, then yes - the number you're getting is all wrong.
The military tables are way off too...

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 22, 2016, 03:26:46 PM
the body composition scale is WONKY ...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: USACAP on March 24, 2016, 01:33:56 AM
The actual scale, as in the one you stand on, or the tables the military uses? :)
If you look at who/what the commercial bodyfat scales are calibrated for, then yes - the number you're getting is all wrong.
The military tables are way off too...

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 22, 2016, 03:26:46 PM
the body composition scale is WONKY ...

It's a fancy digital scale where he inputs my "numbers", and it spews out a whole bunch of numbers in return. Some months I'm down fat, up muscle, others I'm down muscle, up fat. Go figure.

Jester

I was going through some stuff the other day and found my old green fleece and it got me thinking. Any idea if it will be or was included in the proposal?

RogueLeader

I haven't heard or seen anything either way.

Based off of past questions about it, likely not.  I would like to see it included though.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

kwe1009

Quote from: Jester on March 29, 2016, 01:55:39 PM
I was going through some stuff the other day and found my old green fleece and it got me thinking. Any idea if it will be or was included in the proposal?

I don't think that it is up to the AF what color jackets we wear.  We have to get permission for the actual uniform for a variety of reasons.  I believe that it is completely CAP's call on the color of authorized fleece.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 29, 2016, 02:09:57 PM

Based off of past questions about it, likely not.  I would like to see it included though.

I don't why it wouldn't be approved. Once the ABU is authorized, a list of approved accessories and outer garments will be announced as well.

RogueLeader

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 29, 2016, 02:17:34 PM
Quote from: Jester on March 29, 2016, 01:55:39 PM

I don't think that it is up to the AF what color jackets we wear.  We have to get permission for the actual uniform for a variety of reasons.  I believe that it is completely CAP's call on the color of authorized fleece.

It is up to the AF to approve/disapprove whatever we want for uniforms, so it is not entirely CAPs call on what color fleece we wear.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 29, 2016, 02:18:00 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on March 29, 2016, 02:09:57 PM

I don't why it wouldn't be approved. Once the ABU is authorized, a list of approved accessories and outer garments will be announced as well.

Just going off of previous history of the green fleece, and its just my opinion.  YMMV <shrugs>
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

When the last 39-1 was in Draft....the ABUs were included........including the gray/green fleece coat.    I would assume that it will be included in the package sent to the AF for approval.

Of course the USAF could disapprove the fleece...but I can't see any reason why they would do so.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP