2b or just let it expire?

Started by Dad2-4, April 29, 2024, 03:11:27 PM

Dad2-4

We are an in-school squadron so my cadets are enrolled in CAP class. The school pays for their membership.
As we draw near the end of the year, a few cadets have told that they will not be in CAP next year, and one more got transferred out of the class in January.
My question is, should I file a 2b, or just let their memberships run out? 3 of the cadets have shown disrespect directly to me, the CC, and are failing several classes, so I will 2b them anyway.
Thoughts?

NIN

There's any number of reasons for automatic termination, including failure to maintain a satisfactory academic school record (CAPR 35-3, para 3a(5)) and voluntary resignation (35-3, para 3a(8 )), but a voluntary needs to be signed / initiated by the member.  Those cadets who are not returning or are transferred out of the class seem to be in the latter category.

Also failure to progress,  the "three meeting rule," or misconduct are additional not-for-cause reasons to terminate (para 3b, c or d). You could probably make a misconduct 2B stick on the disrespect issue, but you really need to have documentation of the behaviors and actions leading up to the termination (corrections, counseling, etc) to be an "open and shut" termination for Misconduct.

Honestly: if they're not renewing (ie. leaving the class, not coming back next year) its probably OK to just let their membership run out (is the renewal in the fall?).   However, from a strictly administrative standpoint (ie. you want to make sure one of your volunterary leavers doesn't get accidentally renewed in the fall), its probably a good idea. That keeps everything above board.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.