Main Menu

Use of Yahoo Groups

Started by JAFO78, November 08, 2008, 12:46:45 AM

JAFO78

On another topic we talked about the use of Myspace & Face Book for recruiting or communicating with your unit.

Now I would like to discuss the use of Yahoo Groups. I did a search of Yahoo Groups and found many units using Yahoo to let members keep in touch. I noticed that some of the public access groups have heavy usage for the first year then start to drop off and stop some for almost 2 years. I would imagine this is because the people doing it moved on and everyone just forgot about it.

Do you use Yahoo groups and how well or how bad does this work?

Do you use it mostly for recruiting or just keeping everyone in touch?
JAFO

LtCol057

I used to have a group on Yahoo for my cadets. I had posted the study questions for the leadership and aerospace. I shut it down after about 18 months, because out of 20+ cadets, only had 3-4 going to it and then only on an irregular basis.  I'd consider going back if I thought they'd use it.

Fifinella

We use it routinely for communications.  It works pretty well, except for the occasional inappropriate "reply all" remark.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

majdomke

We have a restricted access Yahoo page for our cadets. All cadets are members and added automatically when they join CAP. I post announcements, keep calendar up to date with built-in reminders, post frequently used files, have links to most used websites, keep a contact list along with chain of command and also post photos and videos. It's fairly well used by about 50-60% of the cadets. Its typically the older ones who use because they are online more often. Parents are also members so they get the important announcements.

IceNine

I "own" several yahoo groups for various functions, all of my groups are restricted access however.

The longest running one is one that my former unit uses as their list serve online filing, etc.  I have been extremely satisfied with the basic, secure, consistent and most of all Intuitive system
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

Quote from: Fifinella on November 08, 2008, 01:17:16 AM
We use it routinely for communications.  It works pretty well, except for the occasional inappropriate "reply all" remark.

Moderate it.  Only takes a second

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

drcomm

I run one for our squadron.  It is restricted to squadron members to keep the spam away.  We use it mainly for the calendar but also the files and photo posting sections. 
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

notaNCO forever

My squadron has one restricted to members. It's not used much anymore

JAFO78

Would or does anyone use it for recruiting information?

Would it say something like interested in helping others, like to learn about leadership, about the military, flying, model rocketry, meeting new people?

If you had to set one up how would you do it?

Give contact information or squadron information, meeting place?
JAFO

IceNine

I don't think I'd use it.

You would reach much more of the population with the community sites (facebook, myspace, etc)

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

DC

I think a non-moderated, open-to-all Yahoo! Group is going to be spammed to hades very quickly, and facebook and MySpace will reach more people much faster.

My squadron has a Yahoo Group open to all members and parents, and we have a seperate one for the cadets, both have been excellent for improving communication inside of the unit.

I don't see them being useful solely for recruiting, but, they are free....

Fifinella

Our Yahoo Group is closed, but our squadron web site is very useful for recruiting: www.barksdalecompositesquadron.com.  We list it on our business cards, prominently display it on our recruiting booth, and generally plaster it wherever we can.  We also encourage prospective members, parents, etc. to look at it to get a better understanding of who we are and what we do.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

majdomke

Just started our Facebook group. Was fairly easy to create and looks like I can control it pretty well. Working on MySpace next.