vanguardmil shipping rate question

Started by Holding Pattern, May 20, 2016, 02:53:36 AM

Holding Pattern

Is it just me, or is the shipping rate being charged by vanguard a bit much?

My basic checking indicates that me personally shipping items as a no volume individual would cost about $1.15 more than it costs vanguard. Aren't the GSA shipping rates at a higher discount than that? I know several private corporations that are smaller that have had better rate negotiations with UPS... I'd think that the government would have a better deal than those.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 20, 2016, 02:53:36 AM

My basic checking indicates that me personally shipping items as a no volume individual would cost about $1.15 more than it costs vanguard. Aren't the GSA shipping rates at a higher discount than that? I know several private corporations that are smaller that have had better rate negotiations with UPS... I'd think that the government would have a better deal than those.

Well, for one...VG isn't the government.

And two...shipping costs for a company aren't just shipping price, but also supplies, order picking, handling, and overhead.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 20, 2016, 03:14:35 AM

And two...shipping costs for a company aren't just shipping price, but also supplies, order picking, handling, and overhead.

True; however, as a government affiliate, you figure we would have a much better arrangement with the services we could be provided with to fulfill the mission(s) which with we are tasked.

But, not to stir this into a debate about government vs. private capital or contracts.

Vanguard is a business, plain and simple. It costs them to obtain items to ship to us. One thing I'll say with Vanguard is that they have been extremely fast with me, and when I needed to change out an item size after receipt, they were wonderful on the phone and allowed me to exchange at no cost. That being said, they're a distributor, not a manufacturer. Some of their products are low quality, and I'm a stickler for minute detail (a little scratch, and I think everyone can see it; or that extra blob of enamel on a pin...it drives me insane). But it is what it is. Just try to order in bulk whenever you can and minimize those "Oh, I need 1 more thing" shipping orders.

Holding Pattern

My package has "GSA GROUND" written on it, so they are or should be getting that rate...

Then my order slip should note that as "Shipping & Handling."

Holding Pattern

I'm only annoyed with the rate at the moment because I received "Yet Another Fine Vanguard Product:"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 20, 2016, 02:41:48 PM

My package has "GSA GROUND" written on it, so they are or should be getting that rate...

I never got anything via ground, nor does their use of the word "shipping" at question. Shipping cost is not what goes into the label alone, and even if they do get a discounted rate, they are under no obligation to pass on those savings.

SkywalkerRA

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 20, 2016, 02:50:27 PM
I'm only annoyed with the rate at the moment because I received "Yet Another Fine Vanguard Product:"

I have to admit the combination of the picture and accompanying  ironic comment about quality made me laugh.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 20, 2016, 02:53:34 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 20, 2016, 02:41:48 PM

I never got anything via ground, nor does their use of the word "shipping" at question.
Mine come via ground, and they use the word "shipping."

Shipping cost is not what goes into the label alone, and even if they do get a discounted rate, they are under no obligation to pass on those savings.

They may not be under obligation to do anything, but I'll note more and more of the apparent lack of care I get out of these higher costs. If "Shipping" is including things like a QC check, I'd see the much higher price as acceptable. But getting deficient products consistently is annoying enough to make me question the costs.

Damron

Free shipping for orders over $50, so coordinate orders to hit this threshold.