Main Menu

USSS Announcement

Started by THRAWN, April 07, 2016, 07:14:15 PM

THRAWN

If you're looking for a career...this popped in my Linkedin....

On April 8th, the U.S. Secret Service will post a Job Opportunity Announcement (JOA) for Officer positions with the U. S. Secret Service Uniformed Division. The JOA will be active through April 15th. This unique job announcement will be followed by an Entry Level Assessment Center (ELAC) scheduled from June 2nd – June 6th, where qualified candidates will undergo several assessments in the hiring process, reducing the application process time from 10 months to approximately 4 months.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

vesryn

Certainly very interesting. Imagine the god-awful long wait for the appropriate security clearances though...
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Flying Pig

The idea of working for the USSS uniformed division is something one should consider with all information.  It's often described as the agency with probably the lowest moral of any uniformed Fed agency.

abdsp51

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 08, 2016, 12:08:40 AM
The idea of working for the USSS uniformed division is something one should consider with all information.  It's often described as the agency with probably the lowest moral of any uniformed Fed agency.

Try TSA and CBP...

MHC5096

No, I think Secret Service Uniformed Division has lower morale. I've worked multiple details with the UD and those guys were always miserable. Many of them thought it would be a stepping stone to become a Special Agent only to find that there is no defined career path that takes them there. A new guy off the the street has just as much of a chance to get picked up. Some Special Agents also tend to treat the UD like second class citizens.

That said, it is a decent job if you go in knowing what it is an isn't.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

Гугл переводчик

Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Spam

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 08, 2016, 12:08:40 AM

I know you meant to spell that word with an "e" at the end, but after some of the scandals so well publicized, its a great double meaning!

My unit has a Captain (a former cadet officer GTM with a SAVE credit from 1989) who went Secret Service and is still around. His info corroborates many of those stories, although most of his recent work is not presidential detail but is in enforcement.

V/R
Spam

GroundHawg

I have given up any and all hope of getting a govt job. I keep applying out of stubbornness but know that I am wasting my time.

stillamarine

I know a guy that left our department and went to USSS as an 1811. He did a few years then came back to us. Gotta be bad if you leave a fed job and go back to a local PD. Of course this was a while back he retired from us a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SAREXinNY

Quote from: stillamarine on April 09, 2016, 02:52:08 PM
I know a guy that left our department and went to USSS as an 1811. He did a few years then came back to us. Gotta be bad if you leave a fed job and go back to a local PD. Of course this was a while back he retired from us a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really surprising.  As an 1811 you can usually transfer to many, many other agencies with little trouble or additional training.

dwb

Quote from: Trenzalorian on April 07, 2016, 11:58:26 PM
Certainly very interesting. Imagine the god-awful long wait for the appropriate security clearances though...

It depends. If you're young and you haven't done any particularly stupid things, the investigation won't take as long because you don't have as much to investigate.

With the Secret Service position, as with any of these types of federal roles (CIA, NSA, FBI, Foreign Service, etc.) it's best to have a stable job you're working at while you are applying and going through the process.

Flying Pig

Short of getting on the Counter Assault Team, you are .. .in all seriousness, a security guard.  The Special Agents assigned to the protection detail guard the President.  The UD mans the gates and the perimeter.  The pay is terrible for living in that area of the country.  I applied for it when I first got out of the Marines.   I ended up as a cop and never followed up on the process.   One of my old room mates ended up on the counter assault team.  His comments were that you are treated better as a security guard at a baseball game than you are as a UD officer.   Other than the protection details, the Secret Service overall is a pretty boring operation as far as mission. 

I didn't intend to do a USSS bashing frenzie.  Its just that its one of the many Fed agencies that isn't anywhere near what people think it is. 

Майор Хаткевич

Which division deals with counterfeiting?

Flying Pig

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on April 10, 2016, 04:20:13 PM
Which division deals with counterfeiting?

The Secret Service Special Agents deal with that.  The Uniformed Division is strictly physical security. 

USACAP

DHS components are the rock bottom in terms of job satisfaction and morale.
I&A is @ the bottom.
USSS is 1 notch above...
See:
http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/rankings/overall/sub

To your point, it's almost impossible to get hired via USAJobs @ this point.
Go to a job fair and try your luck there.

Quote from: GroundHawg on April 09, 2016, 02:07:42 PM
I have given up any and all hope of getting a govt job. I keep applying out of stubbornness but know that I am wasting my time.