Use of the Latest Social Networking Tools

Started by FARRIER, January 03, 2011, 09:08:46 AM

FARRIER

Question:

Since social networking tools have become a daily part of the youth, millennials, and some Gen X'ers, besides Facebook and Twitter, what are the other emerging applications/platforms coming out? Has anyone incorporated them into their program?

Respectfully,
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Patterson

Two tin cans and string works just fine...................

nesagsar

I think we should firm up the methods we are using in traditional media and our current social media before looking for new ones. What CAP needs is a really good TV Spot like the Air Force "Cross into the Blue" video. I doubt that we have the money for it though.

meganite

Quote from: nesagsar on January 04, 2011, 01:00:21 PM
I think we should firm up the methods we are using in traditional media and our current social media before looking for new ones. What CAP needs is a really good TV Spot like the Air Force "Cross into the Blue" video. I doubt that we have the money for it though.

That's why the new methods are so useful: they are free! ;) And they reach a wide, young audience. The future!

arBar

I think its important to use social networking, but there are some risks that come with it.  What I mean is that whereas on a website you can control the information that you want presented to the public, Facebook & similar websites allow people to comment on your events, pictures, etc and it may not be the kind of public comment you want.  In other words, everybody becomes an unofficial PIO/PAO.  Its not just about OPSEC.  Its also about good taste.

So I think it needs to be controlled somehow.  Would love to see some guidance from NHQ on this.  I heard something was in the works.  DOes anybody know if they've released anything yet?

FW

"CAP Info" appears to be our gateway on Facebook.  So far, it just seems to be just collecting "friends".   I don't know how official the site is due to its use of an obsolete seal however, it's there.   

Spaceman3750

As a PSA for CT members...

IMPORTANT: Facebook is now forcing all users to its new profile theme. This change, by default, will show photos you have been tagged in at the top of your profile, essentially incorporating other individual's (potentially embarrassing or retaliatory) photographs into your profile. To restrict those who can see these photographs (or disable it completely by setting "Only Me" permissions), see the 3-step guide here.

You are now being returned to your regularly scheduled thread...

Eclipse

Quote from: meganite on January 13, 2011, 09:35:16 AM
That's why the new methods are so useful: they are free! And they reach a wide, young audience.

There is nothing "new" about them.

Nothing is free.

These sites actually "reach" a much more limited audience than their marketing collateral would like users to believe.

Space's note above shows the risk to be involved. Zuckerberg has one interest: profit.  Your privacy is an impediment to that profit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on January 13, 2011, 03:48:13 PM
Quote from: meganite on January 13, 2011, 09:35:16 AM
That's why the new methods are so useful: they are free! And they reach a wide, young audience.

There is nothing "new" about them.

Nothing is free.

These sites actually "reach" a much more limited audience than their marketing collateral would like users to believe.

Space's note above shows the risk to be involved. Zuckerberg has one interest: profit.  Your privacy is an impediment to that profit.

To add to this, the advent of Facebook Connect and other site widgets have expanded Facebook's access to your browsing habits and history (valuable stuff). With Google Analytics (a very very good suite of tools) being deployed on almost every website who's owner/manager is worth their salt, Google has a pretty good hold on your browsing history too.

That said, it actually can be a hugely valuable marketing tool, and I know a couple of people who's business growth over the last year is proof of it. You just have to use it right and know what you're willing to risk.

Disclaimer: I am a Facebook and Google user. I am just aware of the risk and use functional "cyber-ORM" to reduce the risks.

Spaceman3750

Sorry for the double-post, but I just remembered I have something else to add...

Facebook is a HUGE platform for malware and social engineering attacks. HUGE. HUGE. Did I mention HUGE? I am always seeing reports from various sources of Facebook apps being used to spread malware or gather information on you and your friends. This is why I use zero Facebook apps besides the default ones that came with my account. Because Facebook's framework gives them way too much control over your and your friends' data.

A year or so ago I also learned in a SANS training session that Facebook is also being used for botnet command & control. IRC C&C nets are the way of the past, Facebook is what they're using now to talk to one another.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 13, 2011, 04:05:14 PM
A year or so ago I also learned in a SANS training session that Facebook is also being used for botnet command & control. IRC C&C nets are the way of the past, Facebook is what they're using now to talk to one another.

How so?  I've dismantled an IRC-based Botnet or two.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 13, 2011, 05:21:55 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 13, 2011, 04:05:14 PM

How so?  I've dismantled an IRC-based Botnet or two.

Good point. I would say that they're becoming less prevalent but still out there.