Main Menu

Low pass

Started by Eclipse, June 04, 2012, 11:38:20 PM

SarDragon

It is possible to live in such an environment, and not suffer hearing loss, if (and this is a big if) you take specific measures to prevent it. My dad spent 30 years in the Navy, the last half of which was in aviation, and he suffered significant noise-induced hearing loss. I learned that lesson early, and did everything I could to protect my ears (muffs AND plugs most of the time). My current hearing loss is due mostly to just getting olde, but I still hear pretty well.

I do cringe when I see all these young folks destroying their hearing with the loud car stereos and mp3 players. Get your stock in hearing aid companies now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Isn't the threashold for one of the runways at Midway something like 200 feet from a major road?  I remember laying over there (waiting for connections to Dallas) and seeing these large jets zooming right over the houses.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on June 05, 2012, 09:31:24 PM
I do cringe when I see all these young folks destroying their hearing with the loud car stereos and mp3 players. Get your stock in hearing aid companies now.

Yep. Born Jovi and Cinderella did more damage at the Horizon (10feet from a speaker) then these planes ever will.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 05, 2012, 09:45:04 PM
Isn't the threashold for one of the runways at Midway something like 200 feet from a major road?  I remember laying over there (waiting for connections to Dallas) and seeing these large jets zooming right over the houses.

They pushed them out and closed some streets after that runoff crash a few tears ago, but they are still scary close.

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Quote from: lordmonar on June 05, 2012, 09:45:04 PM

All the thresholds are displaced at KMDW, so they're 1000 ft or more from the roads.  But yes, the entire area around the airport is pretty much residential and businesses.

Flying in there Sunday evening...ok, riding in there...(grumble, grumble)

Correction, 31R is not displaced, so it's only about 650' from the road and 800' from houses.  I have to imagine that rattles the dishes.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2012, 01:54:29 AM
Yep. Born Jovi and Cinderella did more damage at the Horizon (10feet from a speaker) then these planes ever will.

But you have taste. 

"What?"

(yeah, I did a lot of hardcore punk concerts in my day. Took my son to see Social Distortion back in November, I made sure he was properly earplugged the entire time)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

The nightly "Dance of the Angels".

Taken directly over my deck as I cooked dinner.  The helo made passes under 1000 for sure, right overhead.

A traffic helicopter orbiting a major exchange dancing with planes coming in on 10.  The plane is East bound and the helo is orbiting
counterclockwise.  Sometimes its a State PD fixed-wing doing mark-timing speed enforcement, others it's the local news stations.
If there's accident, they will be lined up all along the corridor.

It's about 1500-2000(ish), and seems to be timing its orbits to avoid the aircraft about 1-2000 ft higher. 

This is a terrible photo, I was trying to catch the both in the shot.

Why do objects in photos look further away then they really are?

"That Others May Zoom"