Forest fire prevention

Started by Condor1, February 02, 2012, 11:53:30 PM

PHall

Of course we may not be working for the USFS if we were doing fire patrol. So the USFS standards may not apply.
In California we would probably be working for CalFire via CalEMA.

gordo07

Well my expierence with fire patrol planes, will typically just call in the smoke report with a small size up, location either in lat/long form or township and range. Personally, firefighters in the west like township and range, its easier to look on a map with that sort of grid than figuring up lat/long, which means a crew member in the plane would need a map with that sort of grid. With that, the wildland expierence and age might be over looked since its technically "contract work".  I would say, go to local authorities, because I think I've heard somewhere that New Mexico Wing is used a bit by USFS, and I'm pretty sure that TFS uses TXWG on the busy years.

As for Cali, IMHO thats a roll of the dice; the state owns their own patrol, air attack, and air tankers; but it never hurts to ask as I figure it.

bosshawk

Haven't been involved in this for several years, but CAP used to do Drug Reconnaissance flights for the USFS.  The pilot requirements to fly these missions were CD-cleared by CAP, 1500 hours of PIC time, Commercial license, Class II medical.  That dramatically reduced the number of CAP pilots available to fly these missions.  Over a period of several years, in CAWG, the USFS simply stopped using us  There is a FS mission flown out of my local airport and I know the FS pilots: they fly a C-185 and a Husky five days a week.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

blackrain

Quote from: bosshawk on February 17, 2012, 04:19:32 AM
Haven't been involved in this for several years, but CAP used to do Drug Reconnaissance flights for the USFS.  The pilot requirements to fly these missions were CD-cleared by CAP, 1500 hours of PIC time, Commercial license, Class II medical.  That dramatically reduced the number of CAP pilots available to fly these missions.  Over a period of several years, in CAWG, the USFS simply stopped using us  There is a FS mission flown out of my local airport and I know the FS pilots: they fly a C-185 and a Husky five days a week.

In Oklahoma we've had some pretty substantial hot,dry,windy, summers/fire seasons. More grass than forest fires but we do have large areas of small oak trees mixed with a lot of cedar trees (small cedar trees grow like weeds around here are like logs soaked with turpentine) and it gets interesting. In 2006, before I really got into CAP we had a big fire season and I understand a lot of fire spotting missions around the state were flown by CAP that year. Local FDs are well versed in fighting these fires and crews can be brought in from out of state to assist on the bigger fires. Aerial assets are mostly National Guard Chinooks and Blackhawks that use bucket drops and have made a real difference in fighting them.

As for funny call signs...a while back while I was in Iraq a certain Secretary of State (won't say which state >:D) visited Iraq and I understand her helicopter's callsign was "Broomstick One"
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: RiverAux on February 16, 2012, 02:22:52 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on February 05, 2012, 06:57:11 PM
Back in the 70's when I was going to college, I worked two summers with the Forest Service as a firefighter II. (One year as a summer hire cutting fire lines and one as a contracted Asst. Engine Boss. I recall a CAP plane spotting for us and we were glad to have 'em!
I wonder if the feds could even use CAP for fire spotting anymore as they've really made their aviation contracting program pretty complex from what I understand.

Most often then not, the CAP will no longer be a consideration with the USFS.