colleges/universities with an aviation program?

Started by SABRE17, September 22, 2010, 07:57:28 PM

SABRE17

at first i wanted to get into the AF academy, then i looked at embry riddle, i might get into there, i then looked at daniel webster college in nashua NH, but they are removing their aviation program. so im kinda stuck, embry riddle is very far from home, and expensive.

does anyone know of any colleges that offer programs similar to embry riddle such as aerospace engineering and have a flight program?

ps my goal is to be a pilot with a degree in aerospace engineering

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SJFedor

Near you? Mercer County Community College in NJ (Trenton) offers an aerospace program w/ flight, and I believe they have agreements w/ some of the local 4-year universities that will accept their credits towards a bachelors.

Marywood University in Scranton, PA has a 4 year flight program.

Middle TN State University in Murfreesboro TN (my alma mater) also has a very nice flight program.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

davidsinn

Purdue. Indiana State. They both have FAA certified sims.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

capmaj

Try;

Middlesex CC for A/P
Bridgewater State for piloting
North Shore Community for piloting

All in Mass

Spaceman3750

SarDragon

University of North Dakota has an excellent program. One of my local members is currently attending there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

tsrup

Stay away from Riddle. 

Unless you score some serious scholarship money, you will find yourself paying more than you ever imagined possible.

I went for my freshman year, my bank account makes me kick myself in my own rear every time I see it.  I think I payed more just for that one year of school than I will have payed for my entire time here at the school I presently attend.  (Thats South Dakota State University.  We have a really good aviation program if relocating to the midwest an option for you)

edit:  noticed you want aero engineering, currently we don't offer that.  UND would be my top choice
Paramedic
hang-around.

A.Member

There are many to choose from with Aviation Programs - in which case ERAU and University of North Dakota would top my list.  But what you want is an Aerospace Engineering Program - that's different than simply having an Aviation Program.

Here's a list of top Aero. Eng. schools:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/aerospace
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

MSG Mac

University of Maryland has an AE degree and a few miles from you MIT, pricey, but if you can get the Scholarships run to it. You might also try Clark University in Worcester
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

BillB

Santa Fe College, FL  (used to be a community college) offers what amounts to the ERAU curriculum, and about 1/3 the cost.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

cap235629

Look at this school. Out of state tuition is still way cheaper than the others:

Henderson State University
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

cdk77

Craig Kursinsky, 1st Lt, CAP
Dover Composite Squadron, MER-DE-006

Johnny Yuma

Kansas State University at Salina has an excellent professional flight program, in fact 3 of its faculty and staff are members of KSWG along with several of its students are cadets or new senior members.

http://www.sal.ksu.edu/

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

NIN

From my experience (mind you, I'm not a pilot), my recommendation would be to consider getting your aerospace engineering degree from the best (read as: "most affordable for you") place possible, and then spend your shekels wisely on getting your PPL via other means (ie. bribing a CAP CFI..<GRIN>.

The reason I say that is that pretty much EVERYBODY I know who has gotten their PPL and/or advanced ratings in a higher-education setting wound up paying out the nose for something they could have gotten for far, far less in a local setting (and, in some cases, MUCH faster).

I worked at a college for 4 years. My network administrator's son had been one of my cadets.  His son went to Daniel Webster in their professional pilot program. As college employees, we got tuition remission for our family members, but the aviation costs are "lab fees," which are not covered by the tuition remission program. 

Now, I will willingly admit that the kid didn't help himself out any as he went forward with the professional pilot program.  For example, instead of taking advantage of every good weather weekend to fly with an IP or off days, he blew lessons off, went home (more like his girlfriend's house) or skiing on weekends, to the point where over the course of the 2 semesters it took him to get his license, he got handed off to several IPs with all the requisite "I need to see how you fly" sessions with the new IPs, and multiple stage checks, etc...  You see where this is leading.   (and it didn't help that the young man did not have tremendously "smooth hands" to begin with..)

So dad writes the college a check for something like $8,000 the first week of school for "lab fees" (and man, did he complain), then around the first of the year he writes another for $2,000 or $3,000, and then he has to write another near the end of the 2nd semester for something like $6,000.  He paid about $17,000 in lab fees for his son to get 65 flight hours and his PPL. Thats on the order of $265/hr for flying.

So get the degree you want, and get the PPL, but don't tie one to the other.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Al Sayre

Check out Delta State University and Hinds Community College in MS. 

Hinds is in the process of setting up an ATC curriculum, and already has a flight program & A&P program.  IIRC if you do the A&P program you can get your PPL for free or greatly reduced cost.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

BrandonKea

Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

CASH172

I've met and talked with students who have gone to dozens of different flight programs.  Some of them have attended multiple facilities and one thing stands out, they're all pretty similar.  Getting a Private is getting a Private.  As one of those that's going to Riddle, I'll put it to you like this.  The pilot program is designed to start you off from knowing nothing and then graduating with a commercial multi.  I had entered my freshmen year with not even a Private and by the next year, I was instructing my fellow classmates.  The program was Part 142, which reduced the hours significantly.  I had my CFI with less than 200 hours total time.  Now, if you're just going for your Private, a university program may not be what you want.  Most schools have Private courses that last longer than what you might get a local FBO.  The pay off usually comes at the end when you earn all of your ratings/certificates. 

Now most schools have very awesome flight programs, but something to keep in mind.  Schools like Riddle make a significant part of their educational criteria based on their flight training program.  Riddle would not exist as it does without it.  Other schools may view their flight programs as just another program that in tough times just eat up money.  Many schools have cut back and if a collegiate aviation program is what you really wanna pursue, I would choose a school who views their flight training department as a valued and worthwhile asset. 

Capt_Redfox30

This is where I went to School, I didn't take any sort of aviation courses or anything but knew a lot of people who did and they are doing well in the career field. 

http://www.aviation.siuc.edu/
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: BrandonKea on September 23, 2010, 01:57:36 AM
http://www.unomaha.edu/ai/

Avoid Omaha like the plague. It's where they send Cornhuskers after they complete their probation and community service >:D >:D >:D
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Al Sayre

Here is something else to think about.  You can do 2 years at a community college, get your AA Degree, an A&P Ticket and a PPL for less than the 1st two years of general course work + a PPL at a school like Riddle will cost.  If you take the right courses for the AA, you can then transfer into an Aerospace Engineering curriculum at the 4 year school with a marketable skill that will make you a better Engineer.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

FARRIER

Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

MSG Mac

After getting all this input start checking these schools out on the internet. Also check the various periodicals that rate colleges and universities by program. Once you've narrowed your field down, check the student ratings to see how students rate the college. Than visit the top 5 or 6.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

CDCTF

It all depends on what you want to do, if your main objective is to be pilot then at least start your flight training at a local airport. The way I see it, if you get a bachelors in Aerospace Engineering and I mean legit ENGINEERING not this associates/bachelors stuff in aviation management you will have a tough decision to make. Either take a high paying job in the aerospace industry or trying to fight out against the thousands of other entry level pilots and if your lucky get a job at a regional airline making $30,000 a year.

So to summarize, if you just want to get your private license possibly with a instrument rating so that you can fly around on the weekends or fly with CAP then do it privately, you will save tons of money. A school like Ohio State has a great aviation as well as aerospace department and frankly even with out of state tuition you would still save money over Embry. As far as cost goes it's almost always cheaper to keep school and pilot training separate.

Climbnsink

Separate the two goals.  Get your flying wherever you can get the best deal, likewise get your education where you can get the best deal.  Mix them and you will almost certainly lose on both counts. 

SJFedor

Quote from: GroundHawg on September 25, 2010, 04:34:13 PM
My Alma Mater....

http://fly.eku.edu/

Never knew EKU had a flight program, too. I work w/ a few medics who did their paramedic out there. They just have everything!  :P

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

GroundHawg

Im considering getting my Paramedic, seems like no departments are hiring unless you have it.