Main Menu

Soon to be new member

Started by sub1284, August 30, 2013, 05:23:54 AM

sub1284

Ive been checking out this site for a few days now and thought I would introduce myself. I am a new applicant, put in my application last week. I have had an interest in CAP since high school but never joined. I was in AJROTC at the time. I have always had a love for aviation and its great to be getting involved. I currently work as an EMT and I hope to utilize my experience in emergency services with CAP. Cya around the forums!

johnnyb47

Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Luis R. Ramos

Welcome!

However there is a caveat. Do not want you to get frustrated beforehand, but your experience as an EMT will not help. CAP is not an agency that gives healthcare beyond first aid. In other words, it should not go beyond what some people call "mommy care," or "putting a bandage on."

The reason seems to include the myriad differences in jurisdictions in which we operate; no medical malpractice insurance; and lack of medical oversight that paramedics and EMTs have even if that is remote.

You still may be able to work as a Health Services Officer providing education and checking health issues that may affect members of your unit, with one proviso: you are not to give health check-ups and anything you say has to be said without it appearing to be health advise.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

EMT-83

While you won't necessarily use your EMT skills for direct patient care, your emergency services experience will be helpful. Welcome aboard; enjoy yourself!

sub1284

I was more thinking I could train members in First Aid or something along those lines. Its not like I planned on starting IV's in the field or anything.

a2capt

I'm all for the Navy Medics, the EMTs, etc. being part of our units.
Even if they can't 'do' their stuff. They're most likely going to understand exactly why, too.

However I'm sure they're still going to have that eye on circumstances and see things coming that might just go right past the untrained eye.

Hydration, stress, etc.

Private Investigator

Quote from: sub1284 on August 30, 2013, 05:23:54 AM... I have always had a love for aviation and its great to be getting involved. I currently work as an EMT and I hope to utilize my experience in emergency services with CAP.

Well if you joined a 'flying squadron' you get a chance to experience aviation. Now most Units do not need 'another' EMT but we need a PAO, a Supply Officer and somebody who knows how to make coffee. Actually we have a lot of EMTs as well as doctors, nurses, retired policemen, etc, etc in Units.

It is what you make out of it. Have fun and welcome aboard   8)

Eclipse

Quote from: sub1284 on August 30, 2013, 06:07:49 PM
I was more thinking I could train members in First Aid or something along those lines. Its not like I planned on starting IV's in the field or anything.

Unless you are a certified instructor for an outside body you will not be able to provide instruction that counts towards qualifications.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 31, 2013, 04:33:01 PM
Quote from: sub1284 on August 30, 2013, 05:23:54 AM... I have always had a love for aviation and its great to be getting involved. I currently work as an EMT and I hope to utilize my experience in emergency services with CAP.

Well if you joined a 'flying squadron' you get a chance to experience aviation. Now most Units do not need 'another' EMT but we need a PAO, a Supply Officer and somebody who knows how to make coffee. Actually we have a lot of EMTs as well as doctors, nurses, retired policemen, etc, etc in Units.

It is what you make out of it. Have fun and welcome aboard   8)

Exactly.......
When I run into people who want to join CAP for a particular skill set, usually as a pilot, I tell them that its wonderful they want to participate but that they need to buy-in to the entire program, not just a part of it.  CAP doesn't just happen on its own. 
I've had doctors, lawyers, fighter pilots, cops, fireman , school teachers, single moms, single dads...you name it,  join my squadron, and when they are asked if they can inventory the 10 trash bags full of donated JROTC uniforms, some dive right in, some dont come back.  I'm always intrigued by what people do outside of CAP with their professions, but believe it or not, it rarely has anything to do with making the squadron actually operate efficiently. Get into the program, learn the ins and outs of how this qwerky organization operates. You may find that where you are needed has nothing to do with what you do in your day job.  Then you'll have to decide if its worth your time and effort. 

SunDog

Hi, welcome!

If you're certified to teach first aid, you will be popular, I think. My Wing has trouble getting and keeping people who can do that. You're Wing may be better off in that respect, though?

If there are multiple squadrons near you, you might visit a couple, see how they suit you?  CAP is big on rules, standardization, procedures, etc. Not a bad thing, as you probably know, being an EMT, but as a practical matter, oversight is real tough for a volunteer organiztion, and how things are actually done can vary quite a bit from how they are supposed to be done. Best to start in a squadron that is aligned with the way things should be done. You'll know after one meeting.

If you'd like to get in an airplane, Mission Scanner is a quick and easy route to some air time, assuming your squadron cares about aircrew qualifications. My squadron might get a MS qualified very quickly - but the mainly Cadet oriented squadron across town? Might not happen at all, or very slowly, unless you take the intitiative to make it happen.

Ground team activity varies enormously, across squadrons and Wings - if you want to be active on ground teams, shop carefully - does the squadron have a ground team at all? Have they done any real world work lately? Some Wings are very, very light, on real-world participation, depending on local/state politics or procedures. Ask around before you commit a lot of time and money.

Be prepared for some thick bureacracy - the trivial is often indistinguishable from the essential, but you'll figure it out pretty quick. Approvals, paperwork movement , etc., can be glacial. . .give that stuff plenty of lead time and it might lessen the frustrations. There is an intitial hump of adminstrivia to deal with when you first come on board, but once you get a qual or two, that falls off quite a bit.

Hope you have fun!