Main Menu

Specialty tracks?

Started by SuperCAP, August 21, 2013, 03:37:19 AM

SuperCAP

So I'm new but have some questions about specialty tracks.  What exactly are they and how do I go about signing up?  Do I pick one or is it assigned?  I think I'd probly pick the ES track, where do I start with that?  Thanks

Eclipse

Specialty tracks are on the job and technical training in various command and staff roles in CAP.

For the most part members choose their field of interest and then pursue it as they can, though
more then a few speak of being "voluntold" they be will doing "x" or "y" job.  It should be a compromise
between the needs of the squadron and the interest of the member.

Each track has a pamphlet which outlines the general duties of staff officers with that training,
the requirements to complete the 3-levels of each rating, as well as information about ancillary resources,
suggested or required reading, related regulations, etc.

Tracks are completed as Technician, Senior, and Master, with corresponding requirements / suggestions
regarding staff posting and time in service.  As the level increases, so does the time in service.

In the cases of Operations and ES related tracks, progression requires both staff service and the attainment
of an ES or aeronautical rating.  What and how much varies depending on what you pursue.  HQ-type tracks generally just
require doing the training / staff service and being appointed to the job, successfully, for the respective amount of time.

Completion of a given level is the subjective call of your commander, and what he or she wants to see in regards
to substantiation will vary, so discuss this with the CC or your PDO.  As a commander I required members to
compete the pamphlet checklists as well as answer the discussion questions in writing so as to have documentation
for the member's file.  Those who have succeeded me have continued this practice, but it is not universal.
Some CCs / PDOs will sit down with you and discuss the checklist and questions, others will do it some other way.

Members must have a "declared" track recorded in eservices in order to get credit for SLS or CLC.  Without that,
the credit will not post and the member will need to insure the Form 11 is resubmitted after a track is "declared".
Declaring a track does not obligate you to pursue or complete it, nor are members limited by anything but their
initiative or their commander.  It is very common for members to have multiple tracks, since our three missions
share the same people.

Specialty track completion and progression is required as part of professional development to be
promoted in grade.  See a CAPF 24 for some detail on that.

The library of pamphlets and regulations can be found here:  http://www.capmembers.com/forms_publications__regulations/

Fair warning, some tracks have updated and current pamphlets, some are woefully out of date.  For example.
CAPP213 for ES still indicates a requirement to take an ECI test which no longer exists.  This requirement has been
waived by NHQ pending the release of new curriculum.

A lot of the pamphlets refer to outdated forms (most everything is online now), procedures, and policies, etc., etc.
Basically, if the published date is not this century, or even the last 3 years, make sure you check into the current
state of changes and updates before walking too far down any specific path.

"That Others May Zoom"

SuperCAP

Great, thanks for the help!! One more question, how do I 'declare' my specialty track in eServices?  I've looked all over the website and can't seem to find it.

Eclipse

Your unit CC or PDO will need to go into your records and indicate a track with a completion of "none" to start.

It's a Commander's Corner application in eServices.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SuperCAP

Ok, I'll ask my commander if he will activate me.  How do I know once its been completed on his end?  (He can be a little slow getting around to things).  Can I see it somewhere in eServices?

Eclipse

Yes, it will be under the "Training" tab in eServices about mid-way down.

"That Others May Zoom"

ironputts

Your squadron Professional Development Officer should assist you in this endeavor. As in many units that person will have many other jobs so be patient. As noted above follow the speciality track outline to record your progress. Communicate your progress and document! Good luck.
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

Alaric

Quote from: SuperCAP on August 27, 2013, 05:38:06 AM
Ok, I'll ask my commander if he will activate me.  How do I know once its been completed on his end?  (He can be a little slow getting around to things).  Can I see it somewhere in eServices?

Remind your PD officer or Commander to put in the proper date that you started working the track.

MacGruff

Hmmm....  I do not see a Training tab. Are you thinking of the Learning Management System? Or, maybe, the Member Search report?  That's where I found my assignments, but not a training module...

:-\

BHartman007

Quote from: MacGruff on August 27, 2013, 04:11:18 PM
Hmmm....  I do not see a Training tab. Are you thinking of the Learning Management System? Or, maybe, the Member Search report?  That's where I found my assignments, but not a training module...

Do a member search for yourself, on your file click the training tab. About half way down there will be a specialty tracks section.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Eclipse

Quote from: MacGruff on August 27, 2013, 04:11:18 PM

Under Member Search.

Second from the right.   Then about mid-way it will say "Specialty Tracks".

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

When you are put into a  track, E-services automatically sends you an e-mail announcing the upgrade.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MacGruff

Thank you all. I found it, just as described.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

USCG_Auxie

Take your time in choosing which specialty you want to be in. Don't get caught in something you don't want to do.

Ryan Valenjevick (1LT/CAP Ret.)
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary

Mela_007

I agree CAPP 213 for ES Officer is horribly out of date (1998).  :o  I am hoping that they will be updating the track pamphlet soon, but my mentor and I are going to work through the checklist best we can until then.
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I think ES is in the worst shape right now. It requires an ECI AFIADL AU 4/6 course that no longer is available and when it was referenced the 50 series as the ES regulations which have been replaced with the 60 series.