Questions on Monthly Safety Education

Started by SuperCAP, June 06, 2013, 05:14:45 AM

SuperCAP

Im new to CAP.  Ive done the "Intro to CAP Safety for New Members" but Im still unclear on a few things.  What exactly is the "Monthly Safety Education" and how do I keep current?  Is this the same thing as my units "Monthly Safety Briefing"?  Thanks

coudano

You can either attend an in-person monthly safety briefing at your unit,
where they will somehow note attendance, and put all of the attenders into e-services for credit

or you can go to the monthly safety training online, and do one of the modules
which will give you credit for a month.
This is a convenient way to comply if you miss your unit's safety briefing, or if you are in a unit that doesn't necessarily meet monthly (like a group or wing hq)

Private Investigator

Quote from: SuperCAP on June 06, 2013, 05:14:45 AM
Im new to CAP.  Ive done the "Intro to CAP Safety for New Members" but Im still unclear on a few things.  What exactly is the "Monthly Safety Education" and how do I keep current?  Is this the same thing as my units "Monthly Safety Briefing"?  Thanks

Yes. Welcome aboard  :clap:

mwewing

There are a variety of ways to satisfy your monthly safety briefing requirements. Your unit should be providing monthly briefings, and should have policies for members who miss the briefing to maintain currency. There are online modules that can be used to keep current in lieu of an in-person briefing. Additionally, there are other online modules that satisfy the requirement. As you found out, the "Intro to CAP Safety for New Members" gives you monthly credit. Other options include "Aircraft Ground Handling" and the "Safety Management System" training modules. You can also get credit for safety related activities outside CAP. This requires the submission of documents verifying the activity and the safety component, and approval from your CoC. I would suggest speaking with your Safety Officer or Commander if you intend to use this option, to ensure that you meet their requirements.
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)

Eclipse

Most SAREx's, when properly entered, count as well.

eServices tells you when you're with 15(?) days of expiration, and I've never found one of the online deals that takes more then 10 minutes.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on June 07, 2013, 02:41:18 PM

eServices tells you when you're with 15(?) days of expiration, and I've never found one of the online deals that takes more then 10 minutes.
A SAREX safety briefing is not "safety education" however.

If you want a SAREX to count, you need to have an adjunct safety education component thereof.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on June 11, 2013, 12:37:04 PM

If you want a SAREX to count, you need to have an adjunct safety education component thereof.

Cite please.

I understand that this might be the intention, but the regs are currently so unspecific that I don't know where you
would be able to make that argument as a requirement, not to mention that any worth-while ES safety briefing is
going to be far more relevent to members than any number of the online course.

And from a practical perspective, we both know that is not how things are being done.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on June 11, 2013, 02:53:50 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on June 11, 2013, 12:37:04 PM

Cite please.

I understand that this might be the intention, but the regs are currently so unspecific that I don't know where you
would be able to make that argument as a requirement, not to mention that any worth-while ES safety briefing is
going to be far more relevent to members than any number of the online course.

And from a practical perspective, we both know that is not how things are being done.
CAPR 62-1 4(b)
Quotehowever, non-current members should not expect to receive this
training at events that require current ES qualifications to participate unless the operations plan
and/or the event leader specifies that safety education will be provided as an adjunct to the event.

If the Safety Brief were deemed to be "Safety Education" then there would be no need that the "event leader ... specify that safety education will be provided as an adjunct to the event" because the safety brief is already an integral part of such events.

And as a practical matter, it is how things are done here.  If someone arrives at a mission base for an exercise, and during sign in we determine they do not have their required monthly safety education, they are told to go find a computer somewhere and get one done, and return with evidence of completion, before they are allowed to sign in.

Eclipse

You're reading that with too small a lens.

We tell people the same thing, not because the morning brief doesn't count, but because it won't be entered / updated into
eservices for perhaps several days, and they need to be current walking in the door.

That doesn't mean it won't update their currency once it's entered, or that the regs prohibit that from counting.

Nor does it preclude the MSO from giving that briefing to a bunch of people who need to be updated and then sitting down
with eServices and updating everyone.

Saying "don't expect this" doesn't mean "this won't count".

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

While I disagree with Safety's stance on this......That is how my wing is reading this.

Pre-SAREX, Pre-mission and Pre-event safety briefings ARE NOT safety Education and do not make you safety current.

Like I said.....I don't agree with this interpretation.....but it is the official line according to my safety chain.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SARDOC

Quote from: lordmonar on June 11, 2013, 06:31:03 PM
While I disagree with Safety's stance on this......That is how my wing is reading this.

Pre-SAREX, Pre-mission and Pre-event safety briefings ARE NOT safety Education and do not make you safety current.

Like I said.....I don't agree with this interpretation.....but it is the official line according to my safety chain.

Yeah, I don't agree with that interpretation either.  I don't think it's prudent to turn away a qualified mission member because they didn't attend their monthly brief about something that probably doesn't pertain to that mission anyway. 

I think a Mission oriented safety brief is probably more applicable and useful than some of the things I've seen pass for monthly safety briefings.

JeffDG

Quote from: SARDOC on June 11, 2013, 07:38:15 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 11, 2013, 06:31:03 PM

Yeah, I don't agree with that interpretation either.  I don't think it's prudent to turn away a qualified mission member because they didn't attend their monthly brief about something that probably doesn't pertain to that mission anyway. 

I think a Mission oriented safety brief is probably more applicable and useful than some of the things I've seen pass for monthly safety briefings.
You know, based on my reading of the Safety Reg, I'm going to start writing OPlans to declare that we will have a period of Safety Education at the start of the mission briefing.

The reg doesn't require that the information to be entered in eServices before being applicable.

We can take the CAPIDs from the ICS211 and enter them into SMS pretty easily after the briefing's over and get folks credit therefor.

Eclipse

^ Yep, but I still disagree there's any requirement it be "separate" in any way.

The typical mission safety briefing that includes issues such as heat stress, flight light safety, whatever, more then meets the requirement.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on June 11, 2013, 07:44:14 PM
^ Yep, but I still disagree there's any requirement it be "separate" in any way.

The typical mission safety briefing that includes issues such as heat stress, flight light safety, whatever, more then meets the requirement.
I'm not saying that it will be "separate", just that we'll expressly declare it to also be "Safety Education"!

Eclipse

Well that certainly works on all levels.

"That Others May Zoom"