The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

Grumpy

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 11, 2008, 12:08:49 AM
Updated guide to include the new Achievement Award. Mods/admins: please replace the old one at the top of this thread for this revised edition.

Capt. Corway, that is one of the nicest, if not THE BEST, examples of the proper wearing on ribbons I have seen.  I certainly hope the people at National Hqtrs use it.  I especially enjoyed the vivid color examples of the ribbons.  Well done!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

SilverEagle2

One correction...

The predecessor of the Eaker was the Earhart with a SILVER Triangular clasp rather than a Bronze.

I was told that those who wish to wear the Eaker equivalent as a mini medal since no Eaker mini medal exists yet, they can accomplish this by adding the silver triangular clasp to your Earhart mini medal.

Just a thought
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

MIKE

Which would not be in keeping with the current CAPR 39-3 or CAPM 39-1.
Mike Johnston

SilverEagle2

How's that?

Has it been declared as obsolete?

If so, where?

The direction I was given was that it was still a legit representation of Phase IV completion if awarded prior to the Eaker creation.

The solution of course is creating an Eaker mini medal.

Willing to learn, just have not seen it in the regs, knowledgebase, etc.

Thanks,
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP

Gerald G. Probst,

Eclipse

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 30, 2008, 09:46:44 PMThe solution of course is creating an Eaker mini medal.

Willing to learn, just have not seen it in the regs, knowledgebase, etc.

If its not in the regs, its not, whether it "should be" is irrelevant.

We don't just make up home made insignia no matter how appropriate it may be.

"That Others May Zoom"

SilverEagle2

I agree completely.

However, this item was not a "home made" solution. It was at one point a legitimate equivalant.

I can buy that the Eaker now superseeds the prior CAP outlined configuration.

Thanks for setting me straight.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP

Gerald G. Probst,

jimmydeanno

IIRC, the proposal for an Eaker mini medal has already been passed, however, no design or authorization to manufacture it has been implimented.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BuckeyeDEJ

Paging CAPHistorian...  can someone get off the schneid and do the Eaker mini medal?

I'm wearing a clasp on my Earhart mini medal because that was regulation before the Eaker came around... my Eaker is back-dated and not numbered, which means that on my service dress, I wore a clasped Earhart. Still have one on my mess dress.

Speaking of mini medals -- in CAP, every medal, award and ribbon has a companion mini medal for the mess dress. How did medal creep happen? I've been called "General" by Real Air Force officers because of the number of medals on my mess dress, and none of them are medals -- by real military standards, I'd have no medals on my uniform since only medals have mess dress equivalents.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

James Shaw

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 01, 2008, 06:41:04 AM
Paging CAPHistorian...  can someone get off the schneid and do the Eaker mini medal?

I will inquire!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: caphistorian on December 01, 2008, 01:10:09 PM

I will inquire!

You, sir, are The Man.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

airdad

QuoteSpeaking of mini medals -- in CAP, every medal, award and ribbon has a companion mini medal for the mess dress. How did medal creep happen? I've been called "General" by Real Air Force officers because of the number of medals on my mess dress, and none of them are medals -- by real military standards, I'd have no medals on my uniform since only medals have mess dress equivalents.
close, but not entirely accurate.  Cadet O pilot and Nat'l Special Activities awards (that I know of specifically, as I have earned those) have no mini medal (so I only look like a third World Dictator as it is)
Len Schindler, Lt Col, CAP
Northeast Region/IGT

PlaneFlyr

I will inquire!

Jim,
I already have some rough sketches for Eaker, CN/CD, and Wright Bros.  Let me know if you'd like me to email them to you.  (No, I'm not going to post them on CapTalk, because I don't want to draw that much ire.  I'd probably get beat up in a parking lot somewhere because someone thought "the eagles head should face the opposite way from my sketches".)
Todd
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: PlaneFlyr on January 08, 2009, 07:31:28 PM

I will inquire!

Jim,
I already have some rough sketches for Eaker, CN/CD, and Wright Bros.  Let me know if you'd like me to email them to you.  (No, I'm not going to post them on CapTalk, because I don't want to draw that much ire.  I'd probably get beat up in a parking lot somewhere because someone thought "the eagles head should face the opposite way from my sketches".)
Todd

I can tell you already, the eagles are facing the wrong way.

Now you can go ahead and post 'em.

;D

But why a Wright Brothers mini medal? For anything below the Mitchell, yeah, they have ribbons, but....

jimmydeanno

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 08, 2009, 08:10:47 PM
But why a Wright Brothers mini medal? For anything below the Mitchell, yeah, they have ribbons, but....

I've seen a few seniors that wear an Arnold or their Rickenbacker.  I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have a WB mini-medal.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

The WB is a Milestone Award Just like Mithcell, Earheart, Eaker and Spaatz...so if you got one for those then you should have one for Wright Brothers.

If you say WB is not deserving of a min medal....then you open to the door to someone saying the Mitchell/Earhear/Eaker is also not deserving.

Six of one/Half dozen of the other.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ThorntonOL

This is where it gets intresting, do all senior members who earned up to that rank as a cadet before becoming dark side before it became a milestone get to wear it? Or is it only for those who have earned it after it became a milestone?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Pylon

Quote from: ThorntonOL on January 08, 2009, 09:19:12 PM
This is where it gets intresting, do all senior members who earned up to that rank as a cadet before becoming dark side before it became a milestone get to wear it? Or is it only for those who have earned it after it became a milestone?

You can wear your highest cadet achievement or award on your uniform as a senior member.  The only ones that have medals are the milestone awards (though WBA & Eaker don't have one yet).  The reg isn't 100% clear on this but since you can still wear the Wright Brothers ribbon if you earned it as an achievement, you would be authorized to wear the medal if that was your highest achievement.  But if you earned higher than the Wright Brothers Achievement (say, Goddard) then it becomes even more of a gray area because the Wright Brothers wasn't technically "your highest."  It would seem one strict interpretation of the regs would indicate you wear none.   It needs a little clarification.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 08, 2009, 08:44:12 PM

I've seen a few seniors that wear an Arnold or their Rickenbacker.  I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have a WB mini-medal.

Sorry, old-school cadet here. To me, Wright Brothers is still Achievement 3, so I have a difficult time recognizing it as a "milestone" now.

lordmonar

I got a fix..... ;D

Instead of ribbons for each of the achievments and milestones.  Lets just have 1 ribbon/medal and the Spaatz.

We call it the cadet training medal and they get a pip for each achievement.

If you want we can make 4 different ribbons one for each phase and the Spaatz.

Cuts down on the bling cadets still get a ribbon as soon as possible and the get more as they move up.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Timbo

^ Get rid of Cadet bling, and some Cadets would walk.  Cadets like that kind of stuff!