Wing CC Approval Necessary for Out of State Flying?

Started by dhon27, June 23, 2008, 05:15:34 PM

dhon27

There may be a thread about this somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.  I have a member who is a Mission Pilot working out of state for the next few months.  He has approached the other Wing about flying with them while he is working there (i.e. He is planning on making himself available during the week for SAR activities if needed), and apparently has been told he's good to go as far as they are concerned (pending review of his qualifications, a briefing of their procedures and familiarization with the area).   He is not transferring or going ADY to the other Wing, and would remain a member of our squadron.   The other state is in the same region as our Wing.

I think he may have to get our Wing CC's approval (or maybe Region CC's), as he will be participating in activities out of state and flying aircraft from that Wing, but I'm not sure about the regulatory basis for my gut feeling.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Climbnsink

I'm far from an expert on CAP rules but I thought you could fly other wings stuff to whatever qualification you have.  The other wing can require a Form 5 and such but I don't think they are required to.  I think I read it in 60-1.   I think it is one of these (few? Only?)cases where you are surprised there aren't more CAP reg's than needed.  Of course I could be completely wrong.   

FW

Once he's given authorization to fly the wing's aircraft,  he is under the same obligations of any pilot in that wing.  The pilot can fly anywhere however, the aircraft is only allowed to fly to an adjoining state with Wing/CC's approval.

RiverAux

I seem to recall something about needing a Wing Commander's permission to leave the state for a mission, but can't think of anything that would apply in this situation as long as the "receiving" Wing is fine with it.

KyCAP

When I was the Commander of our squadron we had a pilot from New Jersey come to our unit for the summer to complete his Form 5, IFR rating, and several other items.   Those have to be coordinated between Stan / Eval officers at the Wing level.   I would have your pilot "check-in" out of courtesy with the Wing Stan/Eval staff to just for go any issues.   The Stan/Eval officers work this "on behalf" of the Wing CC.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

lordmonar

I just scanned 60-1.....it talks about getting permission from the wing CC to fly out of state (within the region) but it makes no mention of a CAP member flying for another wing.

I would assume that if they accept that the pilot is current (FAA, CAPF 5, CAPF 91 etc) then they should be able to do it.

They fly at NESA and at the NFA's....but you could say they got permission via the CAPF 31.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SoCalCAPOfficer

I had this situation arise when one of my pilots was temporarily assigned to an out of state job.   We had to get permission from both wing commanders.  No problem, just took a couple of e-mails.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

dhon27

flyguy06

Actually, this is a test question on the Written. I believe in order to fly a plane in another Wing than the one you are in you have to get approval from the Stan/Eval guy from your wing.

But if you want to take a plane from your wing to another wing you have to get your Wing CC's approval. For instance if I want to fly a CAP 172 to FL, I'd have to get approval from the GAWG CC. If I wanted to take it to another Region, I have to approval from the Region CC

Eclipse

Depends on the state, we have a published policy allowing for movement of aircraft to adjoining states without separate permission, beyond that requires approval.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

IceNine

At the end of the day even if not required to do so, it is a REALLY good idea to get both wing commander's on board.  If Wing X starts asking questions about your qualification, and abilities but Wing Y didn't have a clue you were gone there could be some hard feelings and it could make your life much more difficult when you return home.

YMMV, but I'd say CYA
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

scooter

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2008, 04:03:58 PM
Depends on the state, we have a published policy allowing for movement of aircraft to adjoining states without separate permission, beyond that requires approval.

So you have the Wing Commanders approval IAW CAPR 60-1.  :)