Am I reading 60-1 correctly

Started by flyguy06, June 18, 2008, 01:57:36 AM

airdale

QuoteEclipse asks ...

I don't think he is too interested in facts.  For example, had he looked at a picture of the C162 he would have seen that the wing strut and gear are well back of the side windows. The Flight design CT doesn't even have a strut and the gear is even further back.  Good bye photo objection.
http://www.signalaviation.com/sales/lsa_images_pop.htm
http://www.lightsportaircraftnews.com/flight-design-usa.html

Not that I believe the simple glass I have seen in LSAs is a problem, but if Cessna won't provide the gauges that CAP wants, someone else will.  The fact that LSAs are not certificated in the same way as our traditional airplanes has strengths and weaknesses.  But a strength is that it is not a big deal to change the instrumentation.

But those are just nits.  We had a 406Mhz. ELT search this weekend and the satellite coordinates were almost exact.  The crew just flew there and they were right on top of the signal.  How does that affect your need for three people in a 182 (if you're not in mountainous terrain)?  How does the fact that you can probably fly four or even six pairs of eyes for the same price as three affect things?

My point is not that it is a slam dunk, but that it is worth consideration, not knee-jerk rejection by those who choose to be unhampered by facts.  LSAs may not be panacea, but a heads-down march to a 100% 182 fleet has a lot of negatives too.

flyguy06

Quote from: Eclipse on June 18, 2008, 02:56:18 AM
...and there aren't that many cadets taking primary instruction from CAP, and even fewer who are CAP pilots.

A conversation point yes, anything more?  No.

And for the record, I am very much in favor of the 182's, its nice to be able to actually bring some gear with me >AND< have some fuel for the actual mission.

I have to disagree with you on this one my friend. In GAWG, there are several cadets taking primary instruction. I know of one who got his Private Pilots license solly through CAP and is currently working on his instrument rating in CAP.

I guess thats where we differ. Whereas I like ES, my primary goal in CAP is to see more young people flying. Its a great benefit when a young boy or girl can rent an aircraft for $36/hr as opposed to $110 at an FBO. I think we need to increase the flight training for cadets. Why canty we have both 172's and 182's?

We have two senior squadrons in my area that give one flight scholorship a year to a deserving caet in a neighboring squadron. They raise the money themselves and give it to a cadet. thats cool and I wish more units did that.

Yes, i am a strong advocate for cadet flight training in CAP. Heck, I wish we could have a NPA in every Region.

Bring back FLIGHT TRAINING for CADETS

flyguy06

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 18, 2008, 03:38:35 PM
CAP doesn't maintain its fleet of aircraft to provide High Performance endorsements to cadets.  We maintain them to fly searches.  Flight instruction is just a cherry on the cake.  None of our airframe considerations should be based on what is easiest for cadets to fly.. 

Ihave to disagree with you my LE brother. Youare going off of the premise that ES and CD are "the" most important missions in CAP. I disagree with that. Cadet Programs is equally as important. If I never did any ES stuff in CAP I would happier than a pig in slop. As I have said before Everyone is not in CAP for ES. Some people could care less about it. If CAP became a totally ES organization, I know I for one would leave it and I have been in it for over 20 years.

RiverAux

In my wing we've had maybe 3-6 cadets learn to fly in CAP planes in the last 5-10 years!.  So, we're talking about a fraction of 1% of our cadet membership.  So, I agree that shaping our airplane purchase based the rare occassion when it is used for primary flight instruction makes no sense. 

Eclipse

Flyguy - yes, we have >some<, not enough to impact what we purchase plane-wise.

And sorry, like it or not, the reason we have the airplanes is ES - the USAF is not going to spend millions each year to train less than 1% of the cadet population to fly GA aircraft.

ES isn't the only mission for the planes, but its the reason we have them.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: SarDragon on June 18, 2008, 07:39:16 AM
IIRC, Christie Ducote is 21 and no longer a cadet, nor is she a CFI.

You are correct on both counts. She is currently a SM Captain and is not a CFI. The other cadet I refered to is a cadet from Michigan and to my knowledge is not a CFI either.

Both however are pilots who have flown the 182 and both served as instructors at JFE.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student