Main Menu

Glider Training

Started by rgr84, June 04, 2008, 09:44:03 PM

rgr84

Just started my glider training in a CAP bird as a SM.  What a thrill.  Trying to find lift while avoiding the sink was challenging.  After about twenty minutes on the second flight, I was able to climb about 400 feet and maintain it.  Trouble was we were getting away from the airport so we headed back. 

So far the biggest challenge I faced was keeping the glider behind the tow plane.  The instructor did it on the first tow like a pro.  Sound easy right!  On the second tow I took over at 1500 feet and boy did I wander.  The instructor took it back twice to keep us behind the plane.   3000 feet we released. 

SJFedor

Congrats!

Eventually I'll wanna learn how to fly a glider. But for now, I'm perfectly happy having that fan up there to keep me cool  ;D

Good luck in your training! Let us know when you solo!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: rgr84 on June 04, 2008, 09:44:03 PM
Just started my glider training in a CAP bird as a SM.  What a thrill.  Trying to find lift while avoiding the sink was challenging.  After about twenty minutes on the second flight, I was able to climb about 400 feet and maintain it.  Trouble was we were getting away from the airport so we headed back. 

So far the biggest challenge I faced was keeping the glider behind the tow plane.  The instructor did it on the first tow like a pro.  Sound easy right!  On the second tow I took over at 1500 feet and boy did I wander.  The instructor took it back twice to keep us behind the plane.   3000 feet we released. 

Flying a glider on tow is just like flying a powered plane, except your engine is on a string 200 feet ahead of you.
Another former CAP officer

Flying Pig

I really enjoy gliders.  Every landing is an emergency landing!

I have about 60 hours in gliders.  I have a few 2.5, 3 hour flights.  What is neat about gliders is when you progress beyond the 2-33 and the 1-26 and start in on the Jantars or Grob's and start doing x-countries!

The tow can be challenging.  But it will come.  Have you flown "the box" yet on the tow? Thats pretty neat.  When you are on tow, you are actually formation flying so it will be challenging.  The most important thing to remember about the tow is DO NOT allow yourself to get to high on take off because you will put the tow planes prop right into the ground.

mikeylikey

I went gliding at the Air Force Academy during my Cadet days.  That was absolutely one of the scariest things I had ever done up to that point. 

rgr84......good luck gliding!
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 05, 2008, 03:18:03 PM
I went gliding at the Air Force Academy during my Cadet days.  That was absolutely one of the scariest things I had ever done up to that point. 

rgr84......good luck gliding!

Dunno, jumpmasters at Benning would scare me more then gliders at Colorado Springs.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

^ OK......equally scary!
What's up monkeys?

rgr84

I have not flow the box yet.  I have been reading a little about it.  It was emphasized to me about being too high on take off, which can cause the tow plane to nose into the ground.  I am looking forward to my actual hands on take off!!!

The jump masters at Benning were not that bad.  It was the Walkers in Ranger School that kicked my rear end.  Does a Walker by the name of Master Sergeant Major sound interesting?