My First In Flight "Oh Crap"

Started by SJFedor, May 08, 2008, 02:46:36 AM

SJFedor

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 30, 2008, 03:34:02 AM
^ Your like "No Mom, but I am tomorrow".  That set her at ease I am sure. 

Actually, I said "Yeah, I've been here all day. But man, is my body sore after that last flight..."

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

ricecakecm

Quote from: ricecakecm on May 09, 2008, 07:02:10 PM
Lessee....my "Oh Crap" list:

1.  Complete engine failure in a C-172RG.
2.  Multiple Alternator failures in various airplanes.
3.  Working with a student in IMC, supposed to be flying an NDB approach to the north, I look over and we're headed east.
4.  Manifold Pressure Gauge failure in a 182
5.  DG failure in a 182 in IMC
6.  GS failure in the same 182 in IMC
7.  A couple of aborted takeoffs
8.  De-Ice boot failure in Icing conditions (sequencing valve failed)
9.  Front door popped open after takeoff and going into IMC in a Baron.  Only way to shut it is to land.
10.  Nose baggage door popped open after takeoff in a Seneca.
11.  Various interesting aircraft attitudes with a student at the controls.
12.  Almost hot start of a PT-6.

Thats in my first 3000 hours of flying.  Do this long enough boys and girls, stuff happens. 

*bump*

Add one more to my list there....smoke in the cockpit in a King Air at FL 200.  That's a real "oh crap", especially when you can't figure out the source of the smoke.  Turns out it was the blower motor in the enviornmental system.  Best way to describe it is sitting in a very smokey bar, but sucking on O2 with a very uncomfortable mask clamped to your face and looking at things through smoke goggles, while trying to talk to ATC.  Lots of fun, but I don't recommend anybody try it for real.   :-\

PHall

Quote from: ricecakecm on July 04, 2008, 01:06:17 AM

*bump*

Add one more to my list there....smoke in the cockpit in a King Air at FL 200.  That's a real "oh crap", especially when you can't figure out the source of the smoke.  Turns out it was the blower motor in the enviornmental system.  Best way to describe it is sitting in a very smokey bar, but sucking on O2 with a very uncomfortable mask clamped to your face and looking at things through smoke goggles, while trying to talk to ATC.  Lots of fun, but I don't recommend anybody try it for real.   :-\

Do it over the ocean where you have at least a 2 hour flight before you can land.
Oh yeah, throw in a 6 person Medical Crew and 21 passengers.

Makes for a whole new definition of the word "SUCK".

And the fuel burn at 10,000 feet is way more then FL 280.

(C-141C half way between Hawaii and California with a sick Air Cycle Machine in the left Air Conditioning System.)

NIN

Or my equivalent of landing your 172 in a mall parking lot....

(parachute into a dinky trailer park almost 2 weeks ago... trailers, trees, cars, mailboxes, powerlines... Yeah, it was tight. Managed not to hit anything but the asphalt...)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on July 04, 2008, 01:50:55 AM
Or my equivalent of landing your 172 in a mall parking lot....

(parachute into a dinky trailer park almost 2 weeks ago... trailers, trees, cars, mailboxes, powerlines... Yeah, it was tight. Managed not to hit anything but the asphalt...)

And we won't mention that you did this to yourself via a little navigational error. ::)

ricecakecm

Quote from: PHall on July 04, 2008, 01:28:30 AM
Quote from: ricecakecm on July 04, 2008, 01:06:17 AM

*bump*

Do it over the ocean where you have at least a 2 hour flight before you can land.
Oh yeah, throw in a 6 person Medical Crew and 21 passengers.

Makes for a whole new definition of the word "SUCK".

And the fuel burn at 10,000 feet is way more then FL 280.

(C-141C half way between Hawaii and California with a sick Air Cycle Machine in the left Air Conditioning System.)

Well, you win, Phil.  I was only about 50 miles from the airport I diverted into and I was by myself in the airplane.

WT

I guess my vacuum failure in a C-182 at 8,000 ft in IMC on the way to Florida doesn't count...  Yawn...  And it was a new Airwolf wet pump!

SJFedor

Quote from: WT on July 07, 2008, 02:43:13 PM
I guess my vacuum failure in a C-182 at 8,000 ft in IMC on the way to Florida doesn't count...  Yawn...  And it was a new Airwolf wet pump!

Bah. Just flick on the standby!  :P

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

desertengineer1

Feder, this could have been a LOT worse.  That symptom is common with a DC short.  The rapid loss of battery capacity could have been either a terminal disconnect or (really bad) a high-current short near the battery.  Bad juju.

Here's one example of such an incident.  You folks recognize this guy?  You should.

http://www.purcellregister.com/article-display.asp?idnum=15

The story, if you're lucky enough to hear him tell it, is a perfect example of knowing emergency procedures and training.  He had about 5 minutes from the first electrical indication to when the flames overtook the airplane on the highway shoulder.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?