Main Menu

B-2 Bomber crash

Started by Bear Walling, February 23, 2008, 04:24:21 PM

Bear Walling

CANBERRA (AFP) - The US military was investigating on Saturday after a B-2 stealth bomber crashed on take-off from the Pacific island of Guam, the first such incident involving the futuristic craft.

Both pilots on board ejected safely as the 1.2-billion-dollar radar-evading plane, with its distinctive triangular shape, went down at Andersen airbase on the remote island, the US air force said.

"Two pilots from the 509th Bomb Wing were on board and ejected. They have been evaluated by medical authorities and are in good condition," it said.

"Emergency responders are on scene. A board of officers will investigate the accident," said the headquarters of the US air force in the Pacific.

It was the second US air force crash this week after two F-15C jets collided during training over the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday, killing a fighter pilot.

Crowds gathered at the crash site after the bomber, one of just 21 in the air force inventory, went down at about 10:45 am (0045 GMT).

A thick plume of smoke rose over the airbase and officials closed one of its two runways, diverting planes to Guam International Airport, the Pacific Daily News website said.

"Everybody was on their cellphones and the first thing everyone wanted to know was did the pilots make it out in time," said an eye-witness quoted by the website.

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell, here with visiting US Defence Secretary Robert Gates, confirmed the crash but did not give further details.

"We are grateful for the safety of the pilots," said Mike Cruz, acting governor of the US territory.

"The Air Force and Guam have a long-standing relationship and we help each other in this community we share, especially during times like these."

The long-range bomber was visiting from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri. Operated exclusively by the US, the B-2 has never crashed since first seeing combat in the air war over Kosovo in 1999.

The 172-foot (52-metre) wide stealth bomber, which can carry nuclear as well as conventional weapons, has also been used in US campaigns over Iraq and Afghanistan.

It emits minimal exhaust, noise and heat, making it hard to detect by radar or infra-red.

Guam, in the northwest Pacific, and neighbouring US territories including the Northern Mariana Islands are considered by Washington as strategic locations in the Asia-Pacific region.

Guam, population 170,000, is home to one of the largest US military naval bases in the region and 8,000 marines will soon be relocated there from Japan.

The US and Japan are spending 15 billion dollars on the relocation of the marines from Japan, which is expected to further boost Washington's military strength in the Asia-Pacific.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

The Air Force is just not having a good week. Three aircraft and one pilot lost just this week.

SAR-EMT1

If this was listed above I missed it...

Was the bomber armed? AE: enroute to a drop?

Semi related:

Why are we pulling the Marines out of Japan?
(and away from Korea)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 24, 2008, 03:53:28 AM
(and away from Korea)

They had some problems with Marines raping some 14 year old Japanese girls.  There is a restricted to base order for all American Personell in Japan.  It is rather serious, and there are other issues with the Japanese Govt and the US military there. 

The Marines really never supported the Korean Defense effort anyway.  When I was there, the brass made it clear that our job was to halt the advance of the North Koreans for no less than 48 hours (enough time to get European based troops into theatre).  We all understood that most of the US forces would be devastated to say the least.  I took it to mean we were a "speed-bump", so Marines or no Marines did not matter much.
What's up monkeys?

PHall

If this was listed above I missed it...

Was the bomber armed? AE: enroute to a drop?

A drop where?  Guam is approx 8000 miles from Afghanistan and about 9000 miles from Iraq, one way.

The Air Force has been rotating B-52's, B-1's and B-2's to Guam ever since the North Koreans started playing the Nuke Game.

SarDragon

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 24, 2008, 06:25:53 AM
(and away from Korea)

They had some problems with Marines raping some 14 year old Japanese girls.  There is a restricted to base order for all American Personell in Japan.  It is rather serious, and there are other issues with the Japanese Govt and the US military there. 

The Marines really never supported the Korean Defense effort anyway.  When I was there, the brass made it clear that our job was to halt the advance of the North Koreans for no less than 48 hours (enough time to get European based troops into theatre).  We all understood that most of the US forces would be devastated to say the least.  I took it to mean we were a "speed-bump", so Marines or no Marines did not matter much.

Is that restriction all of Japan, or just Okinawa? There was a similar incident when I was stationed over there, and the folks up in the main part of Japan weren't affected. Got a link to a specific story?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

afgeo4

Quote from: SarDragon on February 24, 2008, 08:53:11 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on February 24, 2008, 06:25:53 AM
(and away from Korea)

Is that restriction all of Japan, or just Okinawa? There was a similar incident when I was stationed over there, and the folks up in the main part of Japan weren't affected. Got a link to a specific story?
I believe the restriction is limited to Okinawa. The said incident happened on that island and the local authorities weren't amused at all. There was a strained relationship to begin with. Other US bases on the Japanese aren't affected.

Flights from Andersen AFB aren't to SW Asia. Bombers headed for that region fly from the CONUS, UK, and Diego Garcia. Guam bombers cover the PACAF AOR.
GEORGE LURYE

jimmydeanno

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 24, 2008, 04:09:46 PM
I believe the restriction is limited to Okinawa. The said incident happened on that island and the local authorities weren't amused at all. There was a strained relationship to begin with. Other US bases on the Japanese aren't affected.

From the article posted above:
The incident, and other recent crimes by service members in Japan, has led to restrictions limiting off-base activities of all status of forces personnel on Okinawa and Marine bases in Japan
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

^ That is so not cool on the part of National security when the military announces what assets in our arsenal are out of service.

That would be like saying....all of our ICBMs will be down for service for the next week.  Guess what happens.....we get the crap blown out of us by those Communists democracy loving people in the USSR Russia
What's up monkeys?

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 24, 2008, 05:26:06 PM
^ That is so not cool on the part of National security when the military announces what assets in our arsenal are out of service.

That would be like saying....all of our ICBMs will be down for service for the next week.  Guess what happens.....we get the crap blown out of us by those Communists democracy loving people in the USSR Russia

Yes, but in thise case, I have trouble believing that twenty airframes is a significant dent in our nuclear arsenial, what with all those B1Bs. And Minuteman III. And B52s. And Ohio class boats.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

afgeo4

#1 Don't believe everything you read.
#2 Public releases concerning our military ability is closely scrutinized by proper personnel prior to their release.
#3 The release may have been made intentionally to satisfy either Intel or an international treaty of reporting our arms.
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

I'm fairly sure that if a nuclear attack was imminent, those grounding orders would be rescinded pretty quickly....

_

Just got a link sent to me with video of the crash.  It also includes an explanation as to the cause of the crash.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/exclusivevids/ExclusiveVideo_B2Spirit_StealthBomber_CrashReport_198060-1.html

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Duke Dillio

Great explanation and pretty darn good video on the crash.  Amazing what a little bit of water can do to an airplane....

shorning

Quote from: PHall on February 24, 2008, 08:29:10 AM
The Air Force has been rotating B-52's, B-1's and B-2's to Guam ever since the North Koreans started playing the Nuke Game.

Um...they been at Andersen since the beginning of OEF...