Patch placement on BDU's

Started by colcap11, May 18, 2011, 03:15:24 PM

colcap11

My son just joined, I have the cheat sheet for placing BDU;s I received a packet that has all his patches in it, but I have two squadron patches. Is it necessary to put one of those on his field jacket as well? Please help. Thank you

davidsinn

Quote from: colcap11 on May 18, 2011, 03:15:24 PM
My son just joined, I have the cheat sheet for placing BDU;s but it doesn't say where to place the two squadron patches on the BDU. Please help

Two? There should only be one squadron patch. Unless one is a wing patch. If that's the case it goes on the left shoulder. The squadron patch goes on one of the top pockets but I can't remember which one.

Everything you ever wanted to know or didn't want to know about CAP uniforms are here:

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2010_02_16_CAP_uniforms_EA51A6906B737.pdf
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2008_07_15_cadet_grooming_standards_C47203C9D3555.pdf
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2008_04_01_Uniforms.pdf
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2008_01_25_Uniforms.pdf

Please look at them all because the full manual is outdated by the subsequent change letters.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

Squadron patch (the one for his home unit) goes on the right chest pocket centered. 
Mike Johnston

EMT-83

Dave, pointing a new member to the uniform manual and ICLs could be considered cruel and unusual punishment – shame on you!

A piece of advice that I normally give to cadets applies to parents as well: address this through the chain of command. Note on the cheat sheet what needs clarification and have your son take it back to the squadron.

One of the great strengths of the cadet program is teaching leadership and followership. Your son has an element leader whose responsibilities include helping him navigate the obstacles faced by new members. This includes uniforms, testing, drill, etc. Bypassing the chain of command by using an Internet forum deprives them both of an opportunity for learning.

Eclipse

My son just joined, I have the cheat sheet for placing BDU;s I received a packet that has all his patches in it, but I have two squadron patches. Is it necessary to put one of those on his field jacket as well? Please help. Thank you

Yes, the field jacket is configured nearly identical to the shirt, it requires nametapes and grade insignia.  If the unit has a patch, it can be worn
on the field jacket but is optional, just as it is on the shirt.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Necessary? No. It won't hurt to do so. Probably the best place to put it is on a second uniform. If he attends a lot of activities, it would be prudent to get him a second one.

Eclipse

For clarity, it is required that the field jacket have nametapes and grade.

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Quote from: Eclipse on May 18, 2011, 09:43:09 PM
For clarity, it is required that the field jacket have nametapes and grade.

We don't have cadets in our squadron so I don't know the details. For SM the grade is sewn on the epaulets in the field jacket vs the collar on the BDUs.

SoCalMarine

Here's a question...

SMs are required to have the CAP cutouts sewn on the epaulets of the field jacket. The problem is, there is no guidance whatsoever as to the measurements for placement. Anyone have any idea?

Eclipse

Quote from: honolulugold on June 15, 2011, 11:13:22 AM
Here's a question...

SMs are required to have the CAP cutouts sewn on the epaulets of the field jacket. The problem is, there is no guidance whatsoever as to the measurements for placement. Anyone have any idea?

The placement is centered on the epaulet (which, depending on how big your shoulders are, will look "off", but K-SARA).

The diagrams and other verbiage do not indicate this, and have been deficient for several revs of 39-1

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on June 15, 2011, 03:00:16 PM
Here's a question...

The placement is centered on the epaulet (which, depending on how big your shoulders are, will look "off", but K-SARA).

The diagrams and other verbiage do not indicate this, and have been deficient for several revs of 39-1

Back in 06-07 I fired off the images from CAPM 39-1 with engineering lines with the dimensions in question ("?s" where a size should be specified) to the knowledgebase. Eventually my question was resolved by a non-answer that didn't address the issue. Ever since then I've used the "make it look good" measurement, which IIRC was at the 2" mark based on some other usages similar to this (like the epauletes).

The best part? The image displaying cadet placement does not have the "CAP", yet if you read the actual text under the image of the jacket, it specifies that SMs and C/Officers both require it.

SoCalMarine

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 15, 2011, 03:47:52 PM
Here's a question...

Back in 06-07 I fired off the images from CAPM 39-1 with engineering lines with the dimensions in question ("?s" where a size should be specified) to the knowledgebase. Eventually my question was resolved by a non-answer that didn't address the issue. Ever since then I've used the "make it look good" measurement, which IIRC was at the 2" mark based on some other usages similar to this (like the epauletes).

The best part? The image displaying cadet placement does not have the "CAP", yet if you read the actual text under the image of the jacket, it specifies that SMs and C/Officers both require it.

Than you both. So, we're all confused than. Centered on the epaulet? Centered from side-to-side obviously so I'm guessing you mean centered from top to bottom? The lady here on base just followed the picture in the manual and placed it more towards the top... nearer the button but a quarter inch down. I've only worn it once anyway so no big deal.

Chief2009

Take a look at Figure 6-3, it shows it there.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

SoCalMarine

Right, I see the diagram but it doesn't give distances.

SarDragon

Based on some quick measurements on the diagram, center the 'CAP' between a line 1 3/4" from the shoulder seam, and the centerline of the button. Nothing official, but it conforms to the pictures fairly well.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

Here's a question...

It's "Que Sera", Bob. Doris day is probably rolling over in her grave. Wait a minute, is she dead yet?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

bosshawk

No, she is alive and living in Carmel, CA.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

ol'fido

Sorry about that. Thanks, Paul.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006