Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM)

Started by Hawk200, October 16, 2018, 10:39:21 PM

Hawk200

Was reading the page CISM at National and am a bit curious. I recall that there used to be some pretty advanced requirements. Anyone know what the current requirements are? The materials seem to be very similar to the Army's Resilience training. Thinking about getting into it.

Thoughts? Input?

NIN

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 16, 2018, 10:39:21 PM
Was reading the page CISM at National and am a bit curious. I recall that there used to be some pretty advanced requirements. Anyone know what the current requirements are? The materials seem to be very similar to the Army's Resilience training. Thinking about getting into it.

Thoughts? Input?

National CISM Team Leader, Lt Col Janisko, is an old buddy of mine and the real deal.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Hawk200

Quote from: NIN on October 16, 2018, 10:43:00 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on October 16, 2018, 10:39:21 PM

Thoughts? Input?

National CISM Team Leader, Lt Col Janisko, is an old buddy of mine and the real deal.

Good to know. Might fire off an email to them, see what type of requirements there are. Got a few pans in the fire at the moment, so it may be a while before I would act on anything, but I'll get there.

Overall, I'm seeing more and more incidents convincing me that there should be more done for the benefits of our people. The mind is the hardest thing to treat, simply because related problems are harder to see.

Spaceman3750

The ICSF group crisis intervention course seems to be the ticket to ride around here, with the individual crisis intervention course as highly recommended follow-on training.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk200

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 17, 2018, 01:47:36 PM
The ICSF group crisis intervention course seems to be the ticket to ride around here, with the individual crisis intervention course as highly recommended follow-on training.

YMMV.

Is that fitting into the CISM (for CAP) program? If so, I'll probably look into it. Anyone know about any prereqs that might be necessary?

I'm concerned about people. Are these programs effective with actually helping people? If a program/seminar/training course isn't known to be effective, I'm not interested in it.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 17, 2018, 10:04:07 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 17, 2018, 01:47:36 PM

YMMV.

Is that fitting into the CISM (for CAP) program? If so, I'll probably look into it. Anyone know about any prereqs that might be necessary?

I'm concerned about people. Are these programs effective with actually helping people? If a program/seminar/training course isn't known to be effective, I'm not interested in it.

I enjoyed the class, but I'm an IT guy not a mental health professional and I wasn't there to join the CISM team, I was there because I was the host commander and I had to show up to unlock the doors either way.

I think that some studies have shown CISM to be effective but it is still a contested topic among those who experience these types of incidents often, and in CAP.

In CAP, I have seen it manifest in several different ways and while I'm not a fan of all of them, as a leader it's a tool in the box (when conducted well) to help me make sure my people are taken care of following an incident.

Hawk200

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 17, 2018, 10:42:59 PM
I enjoyed the class, but I'm an IT guy not a mental health professional and I wasn't there to join the CISM team, I was there because I was the host commander and I had to show up to unlock the doors either way.

I think that some studies have shown CISM to be effective but it is still a contested topic among those who experience these types of incidents often, and in CAP.

In CAP, I have seen it manifest in several different ways and while I'm not a fan of all of them, as a leader it's a tool in the box (when conducted well) to help me make sure my people are taken care of following an incident.

Yeah, sometimes we acquire tools that we never use. Sometimes, we lend out, or even give away, those tools to others. Having them is important, too.

Time will tell as to how things work out. I'm concerned about people in general, but the Army and CAP are the people I'm working with the most. Gotta work in your own backyard, you don't really know much about anyone elses.