Camelbak BFM 500 any experience?

Started by maverik, January 29, 2010, 03:36:50 AM

maverik

So I've been looking at the Camelbak BFM 500 for a little while now and I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with it and what you had to say about it. I am thinking heavily of making it my  SAR pack.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Eeyore

I looked at it for a 72 hour pack, decided to go with the Camelbak Talon instead. IMO the BFM is a little too big for a 72 hr pack (for CAP purposes).

Hawk200

Our state issued us those prior to our deployment. You can pack a good bit in there, enough that you can have a problem lifting it.

I had a 16" screen laptop with adapter inside a sleeve (double protection), mouse, bunch of cables, three days of underclothing (t-shirts, socks, briefs), extra pair of socks, five or so paperbacks, a few magazines, full toiletries (to include a couple of large microfiber towels), snacks (jerky, candy, couple sodas), couple notepads, pens/pencils, insignia, and a spare knife. I really don't remember what else was in there, it was all smaller stuff.

It's rugged, it handled Iraq with no sweat. The Velcro is handy for insignia or nametapes. The compression straps worked well enough that I could get it into an overhead bin on the way home.

Mine's probably going to become my 24 hour (plus extras) pack. For the next deployment, I'm probably going to go with a Talon along with a much smaller computer.

Hawk200

Just looked up the BFM 500, was curious as to the price. It's not the same thing as what I was issued, we received the basic BFM. The 500 model is even larger than the basic model, and looks like it could easily handle a week of packing.

Stonewall

I had to go back and search, but I posted this back in 2007 about the BFM.  I use it in the field all the time for the National Guard and love it.  In fact, back in October my Squadron Commander noticed it and liked it so much he ordered 50 of them for the squadron.

Here is what I wrote back in 2007:
Quote from: Stonewall on July 23, 2007, 01:24:15 PM
Something I wish I had BITD (Back In The Day), is the Camelbak BFM.  It's quite costly, like $150, but to me, it is the most practical pack I've seen and used.  I didn't get it until 2005 when they sent one to me to T&E (Test and Evaluate) for use on my protection team.  They also sent us a "med bag insert".  Its an insert that turns the pack into a medical bag with several different internal pouches designed for medical gear.  I was able to keep both but never used the medical insert because we already used the STOMP pack by Blackhawk.

The BFM is larger than a regular 3-day pack, but smaller than a large rucksack.  And the internal and exeternal pouches are perfect, I mean perfect, for storing smaller items.  Inside the pack, there are straps to tighten things down and keep things separate.  If you see one at a store, open it up and look inside, you'll see what I mean.  In one of the outside pockets, sort of the "admin pocket", it has two pouches for handheld radios.  I'm telling you, it's the Bee's Knees.

Camelbak BFM

MedBak Insert

Those vertical pouches on the left and right side are perfect for a Nalgene Bottle, accessory pouch like first aid or signalling, or gloves/hat.  The horizontal pouch on the bottom fits a US Issue poncho perfectly.

I used the Blackhawk Nylon Utility Pouch to carry medical supplies or other accessories in those vertical pouches.  Fits perfectly and keeps everything organized.

Serving since 1987.

N Harmon

I too have the BFM, and love it a lot. But it is big, and that makes it REALLY EASY to pack too much. However, if you are careful to avoid that, the extra room will make it easy to organize your stuff intelligently.

NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

maverik

I might just go with the regular BFM but im not sure I would really like to see it in person but no such luck. I plan on using it as a day pack, carry my first responder gear here soon, bag for general use and a bag for carrying comms stuff to mission base.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Hawk200

Quote from: maverik on January 30, 2010, 03:58:44 AM
...I would really like to see it in person...
I would highly recommend that you do that somehow.

Another option that might help is comparison pictures. If someone you know has a BFM and another piece of equipment that's like yours, have them take a pic of them side by side.

maverik

Hey! Just found out I have 4 Camelbak military retailers  :clap: goin there tomorrow after marksmanship competition and I'll report what I find I'll also check other packs.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT