Daniel

does anyone know any good cam corder to use for like recording cap events

cost effective and all that jazz
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Rodriguez

are you looking for a dedicated camcorder or a regular camera that also takes video?
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

Eclipse

You can't go wrong with Betamax.  They are small, lightweight, and have a 30-45 minute battery life with the extended packs.

"That Others May Zoom"

BrandonKea

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2009, 12:18:27 AM
You can't go wrong with Betamax.  They are small, lightweight, and have a 30-45 minute battery life with the extended packs.

Good thing I'm at work and spare keyboards are aplenty.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

davidsinn

You do realize Major, that betamax died around the time I was born right? ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

notaNCO forever

If you want something small and easy to use the flip video cameras are descent. Unless you are trying to make a CAP promotional video, or something along those lines, in that case you should invest in a good camera.

BillB

Sony quit making Betamax units in 1989. They came up with a a professional Beta format in 1976 which cost in the area of $35,000 to $36,000. The consumer Beta format was replaced by VHS. The Professional Beta format replaced 3/4 inch umat format. The Professional Beta format died in the late 1990's replaced by several formats, the latest being the DV series.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

IceNine

^ You guys are killing the humor, with your facts  >:(
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

davidsinn

Quote from: IceNine on July 29, 2009, 01:21:14 PM
^ You guys are killing the humor, with your facts  >:(

I was actually trying to use:
Quote from: davidsinn on July 29, 2009, 10:28:33 AM

You do realize Major, that betamax died around the time I was born right? ;D

To make Eclipse feel old. Since I served on his encampment staff this year.

It was even on topic too  ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Rotorhead

Quote from: BillB on July 29, 2009, 12:39:40 PM
The Professional Beta format died in the late 1990's replaced by several formats, the latest being the DV series.

This will come as news to several million Betacam users in the US and elsewhere.

It's not the latest technology, but it is still in widespread use.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

BrandonKea

Quote from: Rotorhead on July 29, 2009, 10:06:30 PM
Quote from: BillB on July 29, 2009, 12:39:40 PM
The Professional Beta format died in the late 1990's replaced by several formats, the latest being the DV series.

This will come as news to several million Betacam users in the US and elsewhere.

It's not the latest technology, but it is still in widespread use.

I wouldn't call it widespread, but I know of a few clusters of Beta fans.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

SarDragon

There are still some Betamax Pro units available, but getting the blank tapes is getting harder, and more expensive. As noted above, it's mostly been replaced by digital video units.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

esilassy

I know this topic was kinda dead, but I have to say this: I actually have that camcorder/betamax combo!!  I laughed my butt off at this picture.  The scary thing??  It still works!  My dad bought it new when betamax was the rage, it's older than my kids!!

CAP.is.1337

I know this thread has been resurrected, but in the next few months, the face of prosumer-priced cameras will be changed forever. Enter the RED Scarlet:

http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/ (Look at the 2/3" Fixed for the best starting price point.)
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

Eclipse

Yes, by all means a $28k+ video camera is practical for a cadet to capture a bivouac...   ::)

Most off the shelf digital still cameras have video ability and are more than adequate for general
CAP/picnic/birthday party video.

If you want something dedicated, get a Flip - $149.99

If you feel the need to see your kids first birthday in HD, go with a Flip HD for $200.
(or less at Walmart* when they are on sale)

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: Eclipse on September 30, 2009, 04:29:28 PM
Yes, by all means a $28k+ video camera is practical for a cadet to capture a bivouac...   ::)

Most off the shelf digital still cameras have video ability and are more than adequate for general
CAP/picnic/birthday party video.

If you want something dedicated, get a Flip - $149.99

If you feel the need to see your kids first birthday in HD, go with a Flip HD for $200.
(or less at Walmart* when they are on sale)

Technically, the shoot-out-of-the-box kit will cost $3750. Still expensive, though. I fully understand that would be out of the price range of most cadets, but it's still a nice camera. (Where else can you find 120fps continuous @ 3K for under $4k?) If I get selected for encampment PAO again, I'm going to try to buy one.

But what I did in 2008 was buy a $100 Jazz HDV178 from Wal Mart and a couple 4GB SDHC cards. You can't beat that 720P camera for the price! (Resized down to 480P is even better.) Get one, and you won't be disappointed as long as you realize there is no optical zoom.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634