Main Menu

Camel back leakage

Started by Jerry Jacobs, May 22, 2009, 09:20:35 AM

Jerry Jacobs

Hey all,

I've had a camel back that I bought at my Local BX a few years back but never really used it until recently.  The first few trips I used the camel back it worked perfectly fine.  However the last two trips it has slowly leaked all the water out overnight leaving me with wet equipment.  What I want to know is if this happened because of improper maintenance on my part, or if the camel back is just not of good quality. 

Also what do you use?  I'm just looking for the bladder and I don't need a backpack that comes with the camel back, just the bladder.

Thanks,

C/CMSgt Jerry Jacobs

BrandonKea

Chief,

I also had this problem. I don't believe it's from any abuse, but if you have the same CamelBak I did (I also bought mine from the BX (at Offutt)), yours probably has the older bladder system. MCSS may have replacement (new) bladders, otherwise, Dick's Sporting Goods or the CamelBak Website are good places to start looking.

Did yours leak primarily from where the drinking hose meets the bladder, near the bottom?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

IceNine

Completely depends on where it was leaking.  If its at the small barbed tube near the bottom where the drinking tube meets the bladder then you probably applied to much pressure and it "popped" off or you strained the tube and it pulled off.

My suggestion is to cut off the end of the tube only up as far as the current stretch marks from the barbs approx 1/2 inch and then push the tube back on.  Should solve the problem if its at that barb.

Otherwise sounds like an omega bladder is in your near future.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SJFedor

Where's the leak from? Another spot one of my friends had problems with was that he lost the O-ring on the cap for the camelback, so every time he set it down it slowly seeped out.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Hoorah

Quote from: SJFedor on May 24, 2009, 12:57:12 PM
Where's the leak from? Another spot one of my friends had problems with was that he lost the O-ring on the cap for the camelback, so every time he set it down it slowly seeped out.
Does the name brand ones do it?

gistek

Also, make sure not to over-fill the bladder. I know it's tempting to get as much water in as possible, but this stresses the seals.

If you plan to freeze the bladder:
Don't fill it completely (remember water expands as it freezes)
Lay it flat in the freezer, with the hose connection up.

Actually my preference is to only fill the bladder 2/3 to 3/4 full, freeze it, then add cold water when I take it out of the freezer. This way I get the benefit of a block of ice plus a couple cups of liquid water that I don't have to wait to thaw.

Hoorah

Quote from: gistek on May 24, 2009, 11:42:27 PM
Also, make sure not to over-fill the bladder. I know it's tempting to get as much water in as possible, but this stresses the seals.

Actually my preference is to only fill the bladder 2/3 to 3/4 full, freeze it, then add cold water when I take it out of the freezer. This way I get the benefit of a block of ice plus a couple cups of liquid water that I don't have to wait to thaw.
Watch for fill line.

PHall

Quote from: gistek on May 24, 2009, 11:42:27 PM

Also, try not to bend the tubing and bladder too much until they warm up after you take it out of the freezer.
The rubber gets brittle when it's cold and will crack very easily until it warms up.

Jerry Jacobs

I found the problem.  I was putting to much pressure on the camel back whenever I laid down my pack.

es_g0d

Another useful tip when you freeze a camelbak: lay it flat in the freezer, with the tube side up.  INFLATE the reservoir by mouth so that the tube is free of the water. 

Now when you fill it up you'll have nice ice water all day and not have to wait for it to melt down to the tube inlet.  Maybe this is obvious, but ... maybe its not.

I've found the camelbak brand to be of the highest quality.  I've used their gear worldwide, and I continue to do so in the harshest extreme environments.  No federal endorsement intended of course, but I personally will recommend their equipment.  Its spendy, but you get what you pay for.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

PHall

The Camelbak interchangeable mouth pieces are pretty nice to have.
I can vouch that the one that connects to the aircrew chem warfare mask is a life saver!

(ORI in Savannah GA in August [insert sweating smiley here])